%&$#*(#% the Amateur Draft! Topic

So when I was preparing for the Draft, I saw a real drop-off after my eighth-ranked prospect.  Since I had the 33rd overall pick, I was worried that my first-rounder might cross that threshold, so I stuck Kirby Howard at #9, hoping to at least pull something reasonable the following season as a comp.

Well, Kirby, who was initially represented by his mother, dropped her in order to represent himself and subsequently accepted my $8mil tender.  What?!?  I thought the prospects represented by their mothers were guaranteed to refuse the offer?  Now I have shot myself in the foot as regards the IFA market, and all I have to show for it is a very expensive AAA pitcher.  Uggh.
7/29/2013 10:42 AM
ouch
7/29/2013 10:48 AM
Very unlucky. 

My impression is that they sign less than 1-5% of the time; this is the 3rd or 4th I've seen sign (the first I've seen take the offer the first time).
7/29/2013 10:54 AM
I assume you're not in the "MORE RANDOMNESS!!!" camp.
7/29/2013 10:57 AM
You should really make sure they are at least passable MLers when you do that.

I do.
7/29/2013 11:06 AM
You can't ever assume that anything in this game is a "guarantee".

Sucks for you, but maybe lesson learned for others.

And, what iain said.
7/29/2013 11:17 AM
Ouch.. $8m for a bum at #94 pick
7/29/2013 1:02 PM
I try it once in awhile. I've had one sign and probably ten that haven't signed.
7/29/2013 3:55 PM
I feel especially dumb because I actually signed the guy as a second-round pick.  Even when there's risk involved, I can imagine a situation where taking the gamble on securing a type-D on a first-rounder is worthwhile.  But not a 2nd-rounder.  I just got greedy.
7/29/2013 7:29 PM
I've made that same mistake, but with a bigger gamble...the #1 overall.  Set my franchise back probably 2 seasons.  Won't.  Happen.  Again.  Ever...
7/31/2013 10:58 AM
That's what happens when you game the system.
7/31/2013 11:58 AM
Does this strategy ever work? Yes, I'm kinda new. You don't like this draft crop and your pick, so you deliberately draft someone who won't sign hoping to get a better player with next year's comp pick.

I don't see a lot of threads saying, did it and got a great player. Confirmation, anyone?
7/31/2013 1:38 PM

Sort of. If I have a low first round pick, I'll try to have my draft budget somewhere between 2/2 and 6/6, so I at least get a pool of players.
I'll set my 1st round to very aggressive.
But, I won't tank the ranking. I will rank what I see best to worse down to about 50 prospects.

If I get a won't sign, ok, I'll take the type D and the cycle starts again next season.

7/31/2013 2:26 PM
And yes, I have been happy with that extra pick in the past.
7/31/2013 2:26 PM
Alright.  Now, that sounds like an application that makes sense.

7/31/2013 2:35 PM
12 Next ▸
%&$#*(#% the Amateur Draft! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.