Cheno5 runs an amazing progressive league for MLB called the Ultimate Random as Possible Progressive (URAPP). He has given me permission to create the same league for the NBA, tweaked to better fit NBA rules. The following rules are his, modified to reference the size of teams and some other changes based on roster size.

"Like many of you, I love progressives because you can watch a player compete for several seasons. But planning ahead for that great season your stud will have in three years just didn't seem very realistic to me. Where's the pre-season anticipation of hoping that THIS is the year your squad finally puts it all together? That's what we've tried to create with the Ultimate Random-as-Possible Progressive (URAPP) League.

Season usage: Most progressives follow from year to year in order. This one is different because every player in history is available at the same time. Prior to each season of this league, your player years will be selected randomly. If you have Michael Jordan, you'll get any year between (and including) 1984 and 2003. This means you could get a fantastic season out of him, or instead get a non-WIS year. For example, if 193-1994 is selected (when he was playing baseball) you have to put him on IR for that season. The same goes for any year in which a player did not play enough to qualify for a WIS listing or has less than 500 minutes. You could even get the same year two seasons in a row. This adds a more realistic element in the sense that you know you have a great player, but you may or may not get a great season out of him. After the years are chosen, you may select a free agent to replace any IR player you have. A random season for him will be chosen, and this player will automatically be waived from your team at season's end.

Free Agency: This is perhaps the most unique element of this league. To incorporate the era of free agency, and to add another random element, each team will randomly lose two players after every season. Those players become free agents and can be chosen in the offseason draft. You may waive additional players if you wish. A lottery will determine every draft spot. Ranked in reverse order of finish, the percentages will be 25-20-15-10-7-6-5-3-3-3-2-1. The final eight spots in the draft will go to the playoff teams, with each team having an equal chance at each draft spot. The order selected in this lottery will be the order used in every round of the draft. This way, there is little incentive to tank. Even the worst team only has a 25% shot at the first pick.

Cookies: All players in the WIS database are fair game. However, some players had very short careers, or are currently young players in the game. To prevent someone from overloading on players with short careers but great seasons, each team may only have two players with less than a three-year span on basketball-reference.com.

Fine print: No WW/clones. Salary cap will be just high enough to fit in everyone's team after the draft. Yes to trades in the offseason. Random alignment, and every three seasons we'll re-realign randomly. You may name your team whatever you like, it doesn't have to reflect your city or stadium.

In closing, if you like progressives, random leagues, or something new jump in!  It's all the greatest players in baseball history playing in the same progressive. But please be committed to playing long-term and don't drop out if you lose your favorite player to free agency. This league should give every owner a decent chance at winning and make it tough for an owner to dominate. I hope you'll join the URAPP league!"

Those are the rules.

When you sign up, pick a number between 1 and 24 and your franchise. Both will be first come, first serve. 240 nba players have been randomized onto 10 man rosters, 4 guards, 4 forwards, 2 centers. We will have a draft when everyone has their rosters, consisting of at least two rounds, plus more for anyone who wishes to cut players randomly assigned. Don't worry, though, no one is getting Matt Bullard.
Enjoy and have fun. Any questions, please ask.

Rules edit: The initial draft in this league to fill rosters will work in reverse order from a normal draft. You can cut up to six people from your original roster, plus the two free spots you already have. So, the draft will go at most 8 rounds, in half hour time blocks with several people available to proxy. The draft will not snake. If you cut 6 players (needing 8 picks), you will pick in all 8 rounds. If you cut less players than that, you forfeit your potential highest round picks, rather than lowest. So, theoretically, the first few rounds will go quickly, while more people are added in in additional rounds.

Subsequent drafts will follow normal drafting format.

Other edits made above, including lottery rules, IR rules, and stuff I didn't know didn't exist in the NBA world.

Draft odds for lottery: 25-20-15-10-7-6-5-3-3-3-2-1.

A minimum of 500 minutes is required to qualify a player. If you get a player with less minutes, you are welcome to keep him or put him on IR and draft a one season replacement player.

8/3/2013 6:53 PM (edited)
Here are the teams. they are presented in an order that is not the order for the number you will pick.
Galveston
Magic Johnson
Dwayne Wade
Paul Pierce
Carlos Boozer
Alonzo Mourning
Norm Nixon
Eddie Jones
Cedric Ceballos
Maurice Stokes
Billy Cunningham

Shawbigred
Kevin Johnson
Michael Jordan
Kevin Durant
Vern Mikkelson
Yao Ming
Reggie Theus
Rolando Blackman
Larry Johnson
Antwan Jamison
Vlade Divac

Cheno5
Chauncy Billups
Pete Maravich
Larry Bird
Horace Grant
Willis Reed
Ron Harper
Manu Ginobilli
Reggie Lewis
Derrick Coleman
Andrew Bogut

Malone9975
Sidney Moncrief
Drazen Petrovic
Dominique Wilkins
Tim Duncan
Dan Issel
Baron Davis
World B. Free
Dan Majerle
Blake Griffin
Tree Rollins

Gary Payton
Bill Sharman
Kiki Vandeweghe
Tom Heinshon
Bill Russell
Steve Francis
Danny Ainge
Jamaal Mashburn
Bob Boozer
Brad Daugherty

Danscleaners
John Stockton
Hal Greer
Alex English
Dennis Rodman
Walt Bellamy
Rajon Rondo
John Drew
Don Nelson
Chris Webber
Rik Smits

Chris Paul
Jerry West
Jamaal Wilkes
Jerry Lucas
Patrick Ewing
Terrell Brandon
Terry Porter
Tayshaun Prince
LaMarcus Aldridge
Dave Cowens

Maurice Cheeks
Jeff Hornacek
Julius Erving
James Worthy
Robert Parrish
Nick Van Exel
Gilbert Arenas
Jack Twyman
Clyde Lovellette
Dikembe Mutumbo

Malfunction
Nate Archibald
Mitch Redmond
Paul Arzin
Karl Malone
Bill Walton
Michael Ray Richardon
Russell Westbrook
Peja Stojakovic
Elton Brand
Bill Cartwright

Krishnaman
Mookie Blaylock
Clyde Drexler
Mark Aguirre
Elvin Hayes
Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Sam Cassell
Dick Van Arsdale
Sean Elliott
Paul Silas
Alvan Adams

Seapilots
Isaiah Thomas
Tracy McGrady
Adrian Dantley
Dirk Nowitzki
Dwight Howard
Deron Williams
Jojo White
Hot Rod Williams
Anthony Mason
Joe Barry Carroll

Alvin Robertson
Oscar Robertson
Bruce Bowen
Rasheed Wallace
David Robinson
Fat Lever
Byron Scott
Richard Jefferson
David West
Rony Siekaly

Logain
Dave Bing
Ray Allen
Lebron James
Buck Williams
Sam Lacey
Penny Hardaway
Vince Carter
Andre Iguodala
Josh Smith
Shawn Bradley

8/3/2013 4:48 PM (edited)
and the rest

Walt Frazier
Earl Monroe
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Garnett
Neil Johnston
Tony Parker
Austin Carr
James Posey
Clifford Robinson
Kevin Willis

Rod Strickland
Sam Jones
Bernard King
Chris Bosh
Shaquille O'Neal
Lenny Wilkins
Dee Brown
Jerome Kersey
Maurice Lucas
Jack Sikma

thomcat
Jason Kidd
Joe Dumars
Scottie Pippen
Dave DeBuscherre
Artis Gilmore
Kevin Porter
Louie Dampier
Rashard Lewis
Harry Gallatin
Arnie Risen

jholme44
Mark Price
Kobe Bryant
David Thompson
Dolph Schayes
Bob McAdoo
John Lucas
Derek Harper
Glen Rice
Otis Thorpe
Mychal Thompson

eleibowitz
Tim Hardaway
Paul Westphal
John Havlicek
Zach Randolph
Moses Malone
Terry Porter
Jerry Stackhouse
Rick Fox
Cliff Robinson
James Edwards

hoopsrus
Gail Goodrich
Allen Iverson
Chris Mullin
Kevin McHale
Wes Unseld
Derek Rose
Allan Houston
Danny Granger
Danny Manning
Mark Eaton

all3
Slater Martin
Reggie Miller
Rick Barry
A'mare Stoudemaire
Wilt Chamberlin
Mark Jackson
John Starks
Stephen Jackson
Larry Nance
Ben Wallace

shooter83211
Bob Cousy
Hersey Hawkins
Robert Horry
Bob Pettit
Bob Lanier
Mike Bibby
Spud Webb
Shane Battier
Shawn Marion
Manute Bol

coolone_may
Stephon Marbury
George Gervin
Cliff Hagan
Connie Hawkins
George Mikan
Kenny Smith
Jerry Sloan
Gerald Wallace
Pau Gasol
Johnny Kerr

slymonium
Steve Nash
Latrell Sprewell
Grant Hill
Elgin Baylor
Nate Thurmond
Andre Miller
Steve Smith
Josh Smith
Shawn Kemp
Ralph Sampson

thohoops
Dennis Johnson
James Harden
Ron Artest (Metta World Peace)
Charles Barkley
Hakeem Olajuwon
Scott Skiles
Michael Redd
Hedu Terkoglu
Jermaine O'Neal
Bill Laimbeer
For ease of reference:

We have 4 teams left: 10, 11, 18, and 21. I will get the last team listed, so we have three more spots to fill. Those numbers randomly correspond to one of the following rosters, listed only by first player here for ease:

Rod Strickland
Alvin Robinson
Maurice Cheeks
Chris Paul.

You pick a number and get one of those teams. I hope you will join.
8/4/2013 10:27 AM (edited)
I've never played SimLeague Basketball, and know nothing about the game, but I'm honored you're doing this and I'm happy to help get it off the ground.  I'll take Philly and #5.
7/31/2013 10:38 PM
I'm in...I'll take Houston and 22
7/31/2013 11:08 PM
Unless I'm missing it, I think a very important piece of info is missing: how are player seasons determined?  I know it says "randomly", but what does that mean exactly?
7/31/2013 11:56 PM
I love this league in baseball and think it will transfer quite well to basketball. I'm in. Minnesota and #4.
8/1/2013 1:54 AM
@all3: I would draw a random number between 1 and 100 for each of your players from www.random.org, then apply it to each of your players, based on career length. If you had a player with 8 seasons, and i drew number 79, you would get the seventh season of said player. It is done this way to prevent playing favorites, so to speak, with certain NBA players. Any number that doesn't work is discarded and another number drawn, so in the above example, 96 would result in s season #8, but 97 to 100 would be discarded as it doesn't produce a full 1 to 8 range, and then drawn again via the same method. This is done to keep the rosters as blind as possible. Free agents are determined much the same way, except I would draw 2 numbers between 1 and 12 for each team, again, another owner would draw mine for me. Another owner would randomize my roster to eliminate the possibility of me drawing my own team. It has gone on for 21 seasons in MLB, and is an utter blast. I hope you will consider joining.

edited to provide clearer example and free agency.

8/1/2013 5:31 AM (edited)
I'd like to play. Indiana and #7.
8/1/2013 6:05 AM
I will take Oklahoma city and #19
8/1/2013 7:44 AM
Thanks for the above explanation master.  Just one more question, then I'll hopefully be done: I love all the off-season wheeling and dealing that a Progressive / Regressive can offer, but not knowing what season anybody's getting at any point obviously kills that.  Is trading allowed after years are determined, and if so, how often does it happen? 
8/1/2013 9:58 AM
Via sitemail: Danscleaners selects #13, franchise: Sacramento, Kansas City, Omaha Kings

@all3: yes, trading is allowed at any time up until the standard trade deadline in NBA leagues. There is usually trading going on almost all the time. And I also love to wheel and deal, so always feel free to shoot me an offer. Unless its for Slim Sallee (or in this case John, I guess).

8/1/2013 12:05 PM (edited)
Posted by masterdebate on 8/1/2013 10:05:00 AM (view original):
Via sitemail: Danscleaners selects #13, franchise TBD.

@all3: yes, trading is allowed at any time up until the standard trade deadline in NBA leagues. There is usually trading going on almost all the time. And I also love to wheel and deal, so always feel free to shoot me an offer. Unless its for Slim Sallee (or in this case John, I guess).

I'm cutting Sallee this season, so if you want him a third time you can just pick him up in the draft. If you listen closely you may be able able to hear his agent calling your name.
8/1/2013 10:55 AM
Thanks again master.  I'll definitely give it some thought and review the teams.
8/1/2013 11:21 AM
If this brings some new owners into basketball wis then I'm in with Seattle & #6
8/1/2013 12:24 PM
1|2|3...14 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.