UNO ! Draft Topic

SS Arky Vaughn
8/13/2013 3:35 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 8/13/2013 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pick1or2 on 8/13/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddleduc on 8/13/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):
* there is nothing in the rules prohibiting playing a Wild Card after your timeslot has passed so I'm going to allow it.
Wild Cards don't affect the people coming after you and guys should be able to play them whenever they want.

* I will draw the line however in that you DO have to pick in one Round before being able to pick in the next.
OK its your theme and ruling but I think a lot of people are going to take advantage of it.  A can of worms.  Like I posted. I wish I had done the same then. But I will shut up and go with your decision   Out
I really don't see the problem using a wild card in this situation. He is left with the same two choices had would have had:

a) Pick a Met
b) Use a Wildcard

Granted, a reverse card would have been a foul, but I see no advantage by using a wildcard as scheduled or two hours later as a make up.

What could he have possibly gained that he could not have had anyway if the pick been made on time?
Agreed.  It's not like if somebody else uses a reverse later in the round you can suddenly pick players from that team.  The only thing you can gain is you can see how many more players of the team you have to pick from unless you use a wild card were taken before a reverse was made.  Which gives you zero advantage over where you would have been if you had made your pick at the correct time.

So the idea that people are going to deliberately miss their picks to gain some sort of an advantage doesn't hold water
8/13/2013 3:53 PM
HONUS WAGNER SS
8/13/2013 4:00 PM
Posted by jvt87 on 8/13/2013 3:14:00 PM (view original):
To avoid complications, I will go in another direction: Reverse

Pittsburgh Pirates

Teams below, directions will follow on where to send the check.

Oh, the pick is Babe Adams.

awesome, lol... I'm going to try to copy the colors into the excel...

Appreciate all of the input from everyone- like I said, we're all in this together & have a vested interest to have a cool League...
always open to suggestions
8/13/2013 4:06 PM
  Round 5-  Tuesday (8/13)  
  NEW YORK METS (EST)
1) markdidonato DWIGHT GOODEN
2) moser34 Tom Seaver
3) SpotSell David Wright
4) pick1or2  (REV)   (WILD CARD) STAN MUSIAL
5) shawbigred Carlos Beltran
6) joshkvt Jose Reyes
7) jbfg8r  (WILD CARD) CATFISH HUNTER
8) dilligafdbp Billy Wagner
  REVERSE -- NEW YORK HIGHLANDERS  
9) dcmatcheck RUSS FORD
10) The Taint   (REV) Jack Chesboro
  REVERSE -- PITTSBURGH PIRATES  
11) jvt87 BABE ADAMS
12) daddyzander   (REV)  (WC) Arky Vaughn
13) mikemundt Honus Wagner
14) terry00 4:30pm
15) uncleal   (WC) 5pm
16) spoonfed 5:30pm
17) zephyr1949   (REV) 6pm
18) toddleduc   (REV) 6:30pm
19) jbar8888  (WC) 7pm
20) antoncresten 7:30pn
21) grayfoxx     (WC) 8pm
22) Vindex24        (WC) 8:30pm
23) yargespd1 9pm
24) gbakker 9:30pm

8/13/2013 4:12 PM
One advantage that I can see with holding back on playing your WC is that you get to see what reverses are played and then you might be able to jump in front of whoever is on the clock.
How about a rule that says you cant use your WC on any team that is currently on the clock?
8/13/2013 4:18 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 8/13/2013 4:20:00 PM (view original):
One advantage that I can see with holding back on playing your WC is that you get to see what reverses are played and then you might be able to jump in front of whoever is on the clock.
How about a rule that says you cant use your WC on any team that is currently on the clock?
I don't know partner, there is no guarantee reverse would be played, and even if one were, you would end up getting a worse pick than had you played the reverse yourself.

Just my opinion

8/13/2013 4:23 PM

**********************  Taken Players Updated  **********************
8/13/2013 4:24 PM
I know there is no guarantee, but IF a reverse gets played, you now can use your wildcard on a player from the new team rather than the player you were going to use it on.
8/13/2013 4:28 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 8/13/2013 4:29:00 PM (view original):
I know there is no guarantee, but IF a reverse gets played, you now can use your wildcard on a player from the new team rather than the player you were going to use it on.
This is true, but you could have picked that same exact player anyway, on time, and could have had a better player from the same wild card team, if you played the wild card yourself, on time.  I'm not seeing an advantage.  Maybe I'm just old and slow.  I am too fat.
8/13/2013 4:33 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 8/13/2013 4:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by grayfoxx on 8/13/2013 4:29:00 PM (view original):
This is true, but you could have picked that same exact player anyway, on time, and could have had a better player from the same wild card team, if you played the wild card yourself, on time.  I'm not seeing an advantage.  Maybe I'm just old and slow.  I am too fat.
I agree. I don't see the advantage either.
8/13/2013 4:35 PM
Okay, instead of an advantage, how about a big disadvantage for the next person on the clock.
Say the 10:00 slot misses his pick, then the 3:00 pick reverses to the Yankees and takes Ruth, now the 3:30 pick is licking his chops about getting Gehrig(at 3:30), but the 10:00 pick jumps in and uses his WC for Gehrig(at 3:15)...............big disappointment for the 3:30 slot.
By holding back his use of the WC the 10:00 slot now can see what team is now on the clock and he can jump in front of another owner.
8/13/2013 4:48 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 8/13/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Okay, instead of an advantage, how about a big disadvantage for the next person on the clock.
Say the 10:00 slot misses his pick, then the 3:00 pick reverses to the Yankees and takes Ruth, now the 3:30 pick is licking his chops about getting Gehrig(at 3:30), but the 10:00 pick jumps in and uses his WC for Gehrig(at 3:15)...............big disappointment for the 3:30 slot.
By holding back his use of the WC the 10:00 slot now can see what team is now on the clock and he can jump in front of another owner.
How would this matter? Gehrig could've been taken with the WC at 10:00. Picks are never official until your time slot is up unless we're caught up, this is the same in all leagues everywhere. If you "lick your chops" that's your own fault.
8/13/2013 4:55 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 8/13/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):

He's not jumping infront of anyone - he is already in front of everyone else who has not picked.  It's just a matter of how many people jump in front of the guy who missed his timed pick.

Nahh, the original guy, who missed his time, could have, had he picked on time taken Ruth, now he has to "settle" for Gehrig.  By missing his pick, the guy who actually took Ruth does get an advantage, he gets to pick with Ruth still on the board.  However, just because I miss my timed pick shouldn't mean everyone below me gets to run through the Yankee roster first and I end up with either a Met, or the 24th best yankee.

That's enough from me.

8/13/2013 4:56 PM
Roberto Clemente
8/13/2013 4:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...81 Next ▸
UNO ! Draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.