Allegedly signed a bunch of memorabilia for an autograph broker for thousands of dollars.

Does he get the same guilty-until-proven-innocent tag that Cam Newton received?

8/4/2013 6:15 PM
This kid is bad news...he's going to be a disaster in the very near future...he's handled his "success" horribly IMO, and I personally find him to be a ****.
8/5/2013 10:14 PM
From ESPN: 

"The Freistat signings, combined with four sessions previously reported by "Outside the Lines," would make six signings for three brokers in three states in less than a month for Manziel. Sources said he signed his name more than 4,400 times."

I don't think the NCAA will hand down judgment unless they have some proof that he received cash, but you would think at some point evidence will come out.

8/12/2013 10:58 PM
The real problem is for Texas A&M.    Play him and possibly be ruled ineligible for bowl season(because the season hasn't even started).   Sit him and find that he's not guilty after dropping a few games with a less talented back-up. 

IMO, TAMU should move on without him.   

And, to answer the OP's question, yes, he's being discussed as guilty until proven innocent.
8/13/2013 9:10 AM
From everything I've read, the kid's just too young.  I recall Bryce Harper going through all kinds of media exposure and everyone saying, see, he's a ****.  The exposure ramps up just four or five years later, with the Twitter and the Instagram LOL.
Everyone wants an NFL QB to behave like a CEO, but that's not going to happen when you're 19 or 20.
Back in the day, no one gave Heismans to a frosh or soph for the very arcane reason that they weren't ready or they hadn't earned tenure.  19-20 year old guys are retards.  This kid's just being a retard, but everyone wants him to act like Peyton Manning.  ****, Peyton was a boring **** when he was 20.  They don't make too many of those.

And BTW, all the speculation is based on the idea that Manziel is going to someday be asked to be an NFL QB.  Another thing from back in the day was that guys like these didn't even sniff an NFL field, they went to the CFL or whatever place they let little QBs run around like a maniac or convert to WR.  Still a 50/50 chance he disappears.

8/13/2013 9:47 AM (edited)
I assume all big-time college athletes are guilty of something, allegations or not.  Saves time and eventual surprise/hand-wringing.
8/13/2013 9:45 AM
"Too young" is a cop-out.    First, it appears he took money to sign items.   I never took a snap in college football and I know you can't do that.   Second, people of all ages are assigned different responsibility.   For instance, you get straight A's thru grade school.   You go to HS and suddenly you're just barely passing.  Your parents go "WTF is wrong with you?" and lay down the law.   JimmyDumbass just barely passes thru grade school.   He does the same in HS and his parents buy him a Camaro. 

Expectations are always different based on achievement.   Don't tell me Manziel doesn't know this.
8/13/2013 12:38 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/13/2013 9:10:00 AM (view original):
The real problem is for Texas A&M.    Play him and possibly be ruled ineligible for bowl season(because the season hasn't even started).   Sit him and find that he's not guilty after dropping a few games with a less talented back-up. 

IMO, TAMU should move on without him.   

And, to answer the OP's question, yes, he's being discussed as guilty until proven innocent.
If they are worried, they could go the old suspend him for 2 games route for a rule violation and then re-activate him.  If he did commit a violation the NCAA would be far more likely to accept the school's self imposed penalty without further issue.  And those 2 game should be winnable without him and then he is back for Bama in game 3.
8/14/2013 8:46 AM
If he accepted cash he loses his amateur status and can't play any games, and any games he has played this season would be forfeited.
8/20/2013 8:25 PM
This kid is going to be a footnote on CNN in 10 years "former CFB star Johnny Manziel dies fro mself inflicted gun shot wound."
8/22/2013 11:14 AM
I don't know about that but he'll probably be a 30 for 30 project on ESPN.  
8/22/2013 11:26 AM
And the decision is...

Half game suspension because he signed too much merchandise for brokers.
8/28/2013 4:05 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 8/28/2013 4:05:00 PM (view original):
And the decision is...

Half game suspension because he signed too much merchandise for brokers.
kind of silly penalty.  At least make it 1 full game. 

I thought he would get 2 games, but at least the suspended the kid without any real evidence he took money.  A step in the right direction.

8/28/2013 4:31 PM
Can you clarify? How is this a step in the right direction? And you don't have to quote my posts when it's the last thing posted, and since I don't delete/modify anything.
8/28/2013 4:47 PM
because the NCAA suspended someone when they had no real evidence, but everyone in the world knows he was guilty. That is all I was getting at.
8/28/2013 5:08 PM
123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.