I hope Manziel has a ****** season...karma's a ***** and I don't like how he carries himself, so if Alabama flattens him...that's justice in so many ways.
8/28/2013 10:15 PM
Stupid decision.   It's akin to giving OJ a half day in jail because the knife that killed his wife was purchased illegally.

And he'll likely have a ****** season.   I can't believe he's prepared himself and I think he's already got a foot out the door.    Not sure why because I think his pro career will rival Tebow's.
8/29/2013 6:14 AM
Posted by moranis on 8/28/2013 5:08:00 PM (view original):
because the NCAA suspended someone when they had no real evidence, but everyone in the world knows he was guilty. That is all I was getting at.
I, for one, am thrilled at the prospect of an inept/corrupt organization giving out punishment without real evidence.

If this had happened to Braxton Miller, you'd undoubtedly be less enthusiastic about the progress.
8/29/2013 7:05 AM
A step in the right direction would be dealing with all of these stupid rules in the first place.

And no, I'm not defending Manziel - he's clearly a knucklehead and should abide by the rules as long as they are in place.
8/29/2013 7:07 AM
So you're saying omnipotent organizations meting out justice without proof is a bad thing?

Who knew?
8/29/2013 8:01 AM
Shocking, I know.
8/29/2013 8:08 AM
Seriously though, I can't get over how laughable the idea that this somehow represents progress for the NCAA is.  This couldn't be more "business as usual."  I have no doubt the NCAA could find (or did find) enough evidence to justify ruling Manziel ineligible if they were so inclined.  But let's face it - everyone at the table in this situation knows it's not in any of their best interests to do so, so they go through the motions of an investigation and "discipline" him with something that doesn't even qualify as a slap on the wrist so they can maintain the feeble appearance of having acted.

There's not going to be any "progress" by the NCAA in terms of getting tough on stuff like this - if they did, it would just hasten what I already believe is the inevitable departure of the major conferences to govern themselves in the revenue generating sports.

8/29/2013 8:42 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 8/29/2013 7:05:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 8/28/2013 5:08:00 PM (view original):
because the NCAA suspended someone when they had no real evidence, but everyone in the world knows he was guilty. That is all I was getting at.
I, for one, am thrilled at the prospect of an inept/corrupt organization giving out punishment without real evidence.

If this had happened to Braxton Miller, you'd undoubtedly be less enthusiastic about the progress.
Well they suspended Pryor for what 6 games (which turned into a season long ban).  Of course they actually had some evidence that Pryor sold some things for some scratch and tattoos.  If I was a bit more cynical I might claim it is because Pryor is black and Manziel is white, but I'm not that cynical.

The reality is the NCAA moves slowly and doesn't generally act without evidence.  Hence I'm surprised they moved somewhat quickly and acted without solid evidence (which is why the suspension is for some stupid lesser rule). 
8/29/2013 9:17 AM
Pryor's situation didn't leave them any avenue for plausible deniability.  And they still let him and the others play in the Sugar Bowl.
8/29/2013 9:30 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 8/29/2013 9:30:00 AM (view original):
Pryor's situation didn't leave them any avenue for plausible deniability.  And they still let him and the others play in the Sugar Bowl.
Yeah which was just ridiculous especially when they later vacated the win. 
8/29/2013 10:51 AM
The NCAA didn't want to step on their dicks.   They let Manziel play while they investigate and it's Newton all over.   They suspend him and, if they're unable to find wrongdoing, his daddy's lawyers sue the **** out of them.    Probably for "lost wages" as his draft stock, whatever it is and what they could claim it would have been, plummets.    Finally, the season is starting.    Unlike MLB, the NCAA doesn't want to **** all over what should be a "good" time of the year for their sport.
8/29/2013 1:08 PM
Precisely.  Business as usual.
8/29/2013 1:35 PM
Posted by moranis on 8/29/2013 10:51:00 AM (view original):
It's only ridiculous if you don't understand what drives every decision like this.  Sitting the players impacts everyone's bottom line, potentially having to vacate the result after the fact, no so much.
8/29/2013 1:37 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 8/29/2013 1:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 8/29/2013 10:51:00 AM (view original):
It's only ridiculous if you don't understand what drives every decision like this.  Sitting the players impacts everyone's bottom line, potentially having to vacate the result after the fact, no so much.
Seriously, how much would the bottom line really been hurt had they benched the 5 Buckeyes for the Bowl game a week before the game.  I can't see it really doing much at all to the bottom line. 
8/29/2013 2:13 PM
WOW.  Seriously?
8/29/2013 2:15 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.