Thoughts on GD Changes Topic

Posted by starfinder77 on 8/14/2013 12:16:00 AM (view original):
I won't say the engine is perfect, but it does its job. If you know how to recruit and GP ur going to win more than u lose and ur going to be successful. The problem is some of these whiny coaches that go 12-1 or get upset in conf play (which does happen) and start cryin " the engine is broke!!" For all those that wanted rewards, here it is - free seasons of GD and we'll call it testing
When you've built up an NC calibre team and lose for no apparent reason, you'll sing a different tune.
8/14/2013 12:59 PM
8/14/2013 2:37 PM
I still enjoy the game . I have to work at with game plans and such . Being retired , I enjoy the highs and lows of the game . But the Beta gives me fits . I game planned against a team I was going to play with 5 different offenses and defenses , each time the test showed me 25 points ahead in each test . But when game time came I lost by 10. Can't figure that out . I am slowly cutting down on my teams and if Beta or the final version come out , I will quit altogether.
8/16/2013 4:32 PM
it's only a matter of time til we get an email from whatifsports, saying this game is no longer.  the new engine didnt work, just ask norbert wherever he is..
8/16/2013 7:18 PM
This might put the numbers in perspective.... only one world has enough human players to fill D3.  And none have enough to fill both D1A and D1AA.
8/16/2013 8:28 PM
Posted by hcazualcc on 8/16/2013 7:18:00 PM (view original):
it's only a matter of time til we get an email from whatifsports, saying this game is no longer.  the new engine didnt work, just ask norbert wherever he is..
Any takers on if he is sleeping on JConte's couch?
8/17/2013 1:15 AM
Here's a thought, do we really need all 4 levels at each world? What would happen if each world just had D1a or 1am and 1aa?
8/17/2013 7:30 PM
I like the lower levels, it creates more diversity for recruiting and a lot of people like the lower levels. DIAA and mid-majors clash quite a bit and if you condense everyone into those two divisions then it would be crazy... also how to decide what to do with current coaches, if they don't want to move or who gets to move where. The application process could be extended I suppose.

I get where you're coming from as far as making the worlds "seem more full" with less to no sims, I just think its not plausable, at least not yet
8/17/2013 10:01 PM
1.0 may have been unrealistic, but it was PLAYABLE. There was cause and effect. If you lost, you could look at your rosters and the box score and have a pretty good idea of why you lost. When 2.0 came out, it seemed like Conte's goal was to have a good simulation. As long as the results of 1000 games matched up with what he expected to see, he really didn't give a crap what happened in any particular game. To his mind, a wildly inappropriate upset one way could be offset by another wildly inappropriate result in the other direction. I had hopes for 3.0 when it came out, but just when it seemed like it was going somewhere, WIS gave up on it.

I don't like the idea of dropping the lower levels. Each division really has it's own flavor, from DII's struggle to beat out 200 other teams just to get to the playoffs, to DII and maxing your vision, to DIA and waiting to pounce on the best DIA rejects, to the free-for-all that is DIA. I've played them all and loved them all. Instead of dropping divisions, why not just drop worlds? Drop the four least populated worlds, and give the coaches a 5-pack so they can get a team rebuild in one of the other worlds.

8/18/2013 8:33 PM
I would be in favor of dropping a few worlds...even if I'm in one of them.  A longer term approach, but might be effective would be to eliminate new signups for those worlds.  

Having now played at D3, D2, and D1AA, (also with some co-coaching at D1A), there is clearly a difference among those levels.  In my opinion, it appears to be a pretty good building block approach to learning the basics of the game, learning how to recruit the players that fit your system and that will perform, to how to get to the playoffs and be competitive with other humans, and then finally how to put it all together in order to make a run at the top 10 and a major bowl game at D1A.

I also like having long term coaches at each of the levels.  It gives everyone a "target" to hit.  It shows coaches at each level where their program needs to be in order to be considered competitive for a national championship.  There should be "dynasties" at each division.    In Wilkinson D3 there are a few teams that "rule" the division.  Bluffton, Baldwin-Wallace, Utica.  A few others challenge regularly (Menlo, McDaniel, Anderson, MacMurray, St Olaf, Rose-Hulman, Colorado).  There is your regular top 10 for the last 10 seasons or so.  Menlo just changed coaches, Colorado has undergone a few coaching changes.  The others are almost all 20+ seasons at the same school.  
8/19/2013 9:21 AM
◂ Prev 123
Thoughts on GD Changes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.