Thoughts on GD Changes Topic

Posted by slid64er on 8/13/2013 12:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by starfinder77 on 8/13/2013 1:05:00 AM (view original):
I started on 2.0 and even though there have been a few headscratchers, I enjoy the game for what it is.  I dont mind 3.0 basic and have no desire to play advanced.  one thing that has damn near killed my interest is the negativity in the game.  A problem I see is that the teams that are successful are the ones that always have a coach.  Most newbies get stuck with bottom of the barrel crap.  i enjoy rebuilds so its not a big deal with me.  When I say negativity I'm referring to those coaches that go 9-0 and get beat in a heartbreaker, then whine that the engine is broke and they go 12-1 for the season.  3.0 isnt going to save the game as far as bringing back coaches and the reason is because now the newbies get stuck with crappy teams and running basic are behind the 8 ball to make matters worse.

I'm not sure what the solution for GD is.
Rebuilding teams is ridiculously easy now.  You can go from all Sims to NC in 4 seasons.  It used to be that not only did you get stuck with a bad team, but you also had to deal with a mostly/fully human schedule every season.  
Newbies have always been stuck with bottom of the barrel crap. The problem is the learning proses. Most do not want to stick around long enough to learn the game while they keep getting their butts kicked for several seasons.

Most of the guys that played the game, were willing to pass information, and teach are gone and wont be back.

8/13/2013 12:52 PM
I started on 2.0 and even though there have been a few headscratchers, I enjoy the game for what it is.  I dont mind 3.0 basic and have no desire to play advanced.  one thing that has damn near killed my interest is the negativity in the game.  A problem I see is that the teams that are successful are the ones that always have a coach.  Most newbies get stuck with bottom of the barrel crap.  i enjoy rebuilds so its not a big deal with me.  When I say negativity I'm referring to those coaches that go 9-0 and get beat in a heartbreaker, then whine that the engine is broke and they go 12-1 for the season.  3.0 isnt going to save the game as far as bringing back coaches and the reason is because now the newbies get stuck with crappy teams and running basic are behind the 8 ball to make matters worse.

Rebuilding teams is ridiculously easy now.  You can go from all Sims to NC in 4 seasons.  It used to be that not only did you get stuck with a bad team, but you also had to deal with a mostly/fully human schedule every season.  
And that would be why during coaching changes everybody is jumping on open teams. It is easy to build a team in 4 seasons - NC caliber not so sure
8/13/2013 2:42 PM
Posted by fermor332002 on 8/13/2013 12:54:00 PM (view original):

Newbies have always been stuck with bottom of the barrel crap. The problem is the learning proses. Most do not want to stick around long enough to learn the game while they keep getting their butts kicked for several seasons.

Most of the guys that played the game, were willing to pass information, and teach are gone and wont be back.

Speaking for myself, I started GD in Season 79, well after 2.0 came out.  I found, nearly without exception, all coaches to be super helpful and continue to be to this day.  When I started, I took a D3 "bottom of the barrel" team and make them respectable (although not NC level) in four years.  I believe most new coaches coming in realize its going to take 4-5 seasons to build a team that can compete for an NC, that is if they study the game and ask a lot of questions.

My complaint about the empty worlds is that if you have a heartbeat, you should be able to get your team into the playoffs.  In my D1AA Wilkinson world, 30 of the 35 human teams made the playoffs. (No disrespect to the 5 who missed ;) )

8/13/2013 3:23 PM
Posted by osgonlz on 8/13/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
I played both engines and am still playing. Didn't have major problems with either and enjoyed both. My real problem is that there is little participation and that means   -   few coaches =  less competition =  less fun.  Good news is I'm also playing HD and playing my first season in HBD. I'm enjoying those games.

I am in an HD league too (D3) , in a pretty full conference, and I am getting brutalized - and have been for some time.  Maybe I still play GD so my ego will stay intact, because I don't deserve to coach a team in HD.

8/13/2013 3:30 PM
Posted by starfinder77 on 8/13/2013 2:42:00 PM (view original):

And that would be why during coaching changes everybody is jumping on open teams. It is easy to build a team in 4 seasons - NC caliber not so sure
I've gone from all Sim to winning an NC in season 4 while playing out a bet that won me some credit.  The bet brought me back into 2.0.  Getting to NC level is shockingly easy now, winning NCs consistently is where 2.0 fails.  The consistency part is why I left 2.0 again.
8/13/2013 3:55 PM
I started in Bryant world in season 59 at DIII Pomona_Pitzer. Had plenty of 10-3, 11-2 seasons and didn't make the playoffs because the competition was so tough. I was usually 3rd in my conference division. I've had success in 2.0, but I really have set my game plans and do quick modifications only. I hope they can make 3.0 a great game to again entice more players - old and new - to return and make the worlds competitive again - by competitive I mean make it a worthwhile season just to make the playoffs and really a feat to win a NC.
8/13/2013 4:30 PM
I have 4 teams currently, but will cut back to 1 or 2. A lot depends on 3.0. Basic doesn't really seem to be much different from 2.0, advanced is just not the answer, and if it is it needs to be separate from the basic. Don't know why I even bother a nobody at WIS listens or cares. Hell they haven't fixed the TE issue.
8/13/2013 8:02 PM
This might be a little off-topic, but if WIS really wants people back, they would slap some lipstick on this pig.  I mean, they are competing with Madden Career Mode, right?  There is a list of features that aren't engine-related that WIS could do to "gamify" their products.
8/13/2013 8:08 PM
IMHO thats the biggest problem with the game, the non engine stuff.  SIMs should have to follow a budget in recruiting just like the rest  of us.  The AC email set up is a crock.  job qualifications are a bit out of whack etc....
8/13/2013 10:58 PM
Posted by starfinder77 on 8/13/2013 10:58:00 PM (view original):
IMHO thats the biggest problem with the game, the non engine stuff.  SIMs should have to follow a budget in recruiting just like the rest  of us.  The AC email set up is a crock.  job qualifications are a bit out of whack etc....
The engine should be the most important. It needs to work and work very well. BUT - that said, compared to other sports SIM games on the market the non-game engine related part of GD is still very bare.
8/13/2013 11:21 PM
I didn't stick with GD in the beginning because I was not willing to pay 100 bucks before I even fielded a competitive team. Thats what it looked like was going to happen, and honestly, I find more people willing to help today then when I first tried to play years ago. 
8/14/2013 12:06 AM
I won't say the engine is perfect, but it does its job. If you know how to recruit and GP ur going to win more than u lose and ur going to be successful. The problem is some of these whiny coaches that go 12-1 or get upset in conf play (which does happen) and start cryin " the engine is broke!!" For all those that wanted rewards, here it is - free seasons of GD and we'll call it testing
8/14/2013 12:16 AM
I have never lost a game when the engine was performing perfectly.  LOL
8/14/2013 6:37 AM
Posted by noah23 on 8/14/2013 12:06:00 AM (view original):
I didn't stick with GD in the beginning because I was not willing to pay 100 bucks before I even fielded a competitive team. Thats what it looked like was going to happen, and honestly, I find more people willing to help today then when I first tried to play years ago. 
This has never been true. Every rebuild I have ever done I have had them in the PO's by the end of 4 seasons at the most. No matter which level or world. I have done many rebuilds in GD and even the top level of 1A by the 3rd season you should make a bowl.

The only exception for me was my very first team which was Concordia of the MIAC in Rockne. I left after 4 seasons w/o making the PO. IT had been abandoned by the former coach and I left wanting to try D2. My final season I was a bubble team.

Bottom line is rebuilds are very doable and quite frankly easy. It should not take a 10 pack to become competitive.

8/14/2013 8:27 AM
Posted by starfinder77 on 8/14/2013 12:16:00 AM (view original):
I won't say the engine is perfect, but it does its job. If you know how to recruit and GP ur going to win more than u lose and ur going to be successful. The problem is some of these whiny coaches that go 12-1 or get upset in conf play (which does happen) and start cryin " the engine is broke!!" For all those that wanted rewards, here it is - free seasons of GD and we'll call it testing
Whiners whining when someone else is whining is just as much a problem.
8/14/2013 8:30 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Thoughts on GD Changes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.