UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

How about signups for a new league, same rules?  It will take a while anyway to completely fill, right?
8/26/2013 2:56 PM
gbakker I have never set a league up before but would like to do an exclusive ownership.  Once this draft is done, I will look into.
8/26/2013 3:26 PM
Posted by gbakker on 8/24/2013 2:58:00 PM (view original):
I agree with you completely Todd.  The only enhancement I'd be in favor of at all would be adding a 26th round and letting everyone have 1 Skip card.
This is great fun and I think it works well; why try to fix it?
could definitely vote on something like that- not too much of a departure but gives you an out in case you're forced to take a $3 million crappy Seattle Pilot
8/26/2013 3:38 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 8/26/2013 2:56:00 PM (view original):
How about signups for a new league, same rules?  It will take a while anyway to completely fill, right?
:-))  love your enthusiasm, SpotSell !  I was going to wait till after this one wrapped up & we had a poll on any possible minor tweaks - then put up an ad for a Version 2.  I think the 2nd time around would fill faster seeing how a lot of guys are seeing how fun of a draft it is.  If you, or anyone wants to run Version 2 - I'd be happy stepping away & just playing.  Board updates, Taken Players & sitemails do take time - I'm just glad to have brought it over to the Non-Live community.  It is too fun & different not to be over here 
8/26/2013 4:46 PM
Thinking multiple Reverses allowed per round work against those who start at the bottom as all the good teams are gone as I and others approach "Our" rounds. I had to use mine early as all the good teams will be gone when I finally get to start a round. Then my reward is to pick at the bottom in the final round. I remember an Uno where teams were split. Example NY Yankees 1901-1950 then NY Yankees 1951-2012. This would allow multiple reverses to have less effect on available teams as franchises with long histories could be split in two.

8/27/2013 4:24 PM
jbar, I like the multiple reverses a lot, but certainly take your point.  I like the idea of splitting the original teams that have kept the same name for 100 years.
8/27/2013 5:23 PM
gbakker - I like the reverses as it is as well but look at the teams I am going to choose from when my turn arrives - basically garbage. I have had to have my team settled already and only draft utility players and RP for the rest of my picks. I could not afford to wait as I started 2nd to last. Not too exciting to choose between the colt 45's and the Boston Bees in my round.
8/27/2013 5:57 PM
great point jbar... I think next time we should split up a few if not several 100 year plus franchises...I'm sorry about the crappy leftovers...forgot about the splits - will do that for sure next time
8/27/2013 6:52 PM
My personal preference(especially if we split up teams to have more available) would be to not allow teams before 1920.
8/27/2013 9:43 PM
An awesome league nonetheless! Thanks for being so receptive to the discussions toddleduc! 
8/28/2013 11:34 AM
I will play regardless the rules, but my preference is not to split up franchises, not to make it easier.  Making it easier means less strategy.  Making it easier also diminishes the value of the reverse and wild cards.  As is, there is a great deal of strategy over when and what reverse/wild card to play.  If you know you know you will easily fill out your roster without being challenged, what's the fun?  The real fun is precisley when the Colt 45's are played, planning in advance for the possibility, and closely watching the board, hoping someone plays a reverse in front of you, or calculating whether or not to play your own wildcard/reverse or holding it for the future.

Don't water down the strategy

My preference is for no rules changes.

8/29/2013 10:55 AM (edited)
I understand if you are there in the 21st round and you have burned your wild card and your reverse card you are sitting there helpless.  It's all about strategy and choices.  I used my reverse in the 17th round and still hold my wildcard.  Every round has been exiting for me, monitoring the picks and carefully weighing whether or not go along with the team on the board or play a specialty card.  I promise, you will have a lot more fun if you don't burn your options early - that's the heart of the matter, imho.  So many times I saw people play their wild card/reverse when there was a ton of talent, readily available on the board.  They threw away their options and boxed themselves in at the end, helpless, a self inflicted wound.  Also, boxing other people in, is absolutely part of the strategy, maybe the best part.  I cheered when the Colt 45's were up.
8/29/2013 11:13 AM (edited)
Another way people boxed themselves in - completing your starting eight and starting pitchers so soon.  You are left with no cap to negotiate the future rounds.   For instance, I still need two full time hitters, a catcher and and OF/First Base type.  If I am forced to spend 500,000 more for a scrub because I am boxed in the 23rd round with some Federal league team,  I can lower the cost of my OF/First baseman from 9 million to 8.5 million in the 24th round and there are no shortage of them to be found.  It's all part of the strategy, not boxing yourself in, leaving yourself options, and measuring the probabilities and possibilities.

8/29/2013 11:21 AM
I agree with SpotSell. I'd bet heavily that if we did this again with the exact same setup, there would not be 11 cards played in the first 3 rounds. A big part of this league is being forced to rely on players other than your favorites. Someone who uses a Reverse and WC early because it's the only way to have Ted Williams and Pete Alexander should end up paying a price in the later rounds.
8/29/2013 11:22 AM
I agree with SpotSell.  There is beauty in simplicity.
8/29/2013 11:29 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.