A little mentor help Topic

I picked-up this guy as a FA.   Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Gerald Turner   He should hold me over until I can work a draft or prospect through the system. I thought, better fielder then my current one. He's got good speed and not to bad a bat & eye. 

The big problem is I am having trouble figuring out where this guy should hit in the rotation. I start the season with him as number 1 with little results then slide him to number 2.  He got worse...then just before the all-star break I slide him into 6. pretty bad there as well...right now I got him hitting 7 or 8 depending on my platoon players. 

Did I miss something in this ratings or is he really under performing...like BAD. 

Any help would be great.
thaks
8/19/2013 4:49 PM
Not sure what you were expecting but his career numbers aren't that far off from what he's doing now.  He's a 8-9 hitter that should OPS about .625-.650,   
8/19/2013 5:00 PM
So even with a decent contact and batting eye and fairly good vs either handness he should hit that low? What's needed to hit in the top 2. This explains why I can't break .500.

Live and learn each season.
8/19/2013 6:16 PM
He's RH with a VR of 61.   61 is below league average.    2/3 of his AB will be against RH.   He has no power and that's a negative.  70ish contact/eye/VR is probably league average.   I expect he'll get better as the season progresses but not much.    He doesn't compare favorably to Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ryan Buchanan in anything but contact and Buchanan is a .700 OPS kind of guy.
8/19/2013 6:35 PM
I wish I learn somethings sooner...This will change the future of my team. So what kind of guy should hit 5-6th?
8/20/2013 10:04 AM

Batting order is based on what you've got.  I like higher OBP guys in 1-2, power in 3-5(with highest OBP at 3) and then the best hitters leftover thru the rest of the order.   Speed is optional at 1-2.  If I have a C that gets on base at a .380 clip, I'll bat him at the top.

Turner has value.  It's just not at the plate.   He's my Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ed Dunn

8/20/2013 10:17 AM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ruben Duran, with his 45 speed, hits leadoff with regularity for my Coop team.    His 96 eye puts him on base a lot.
8/20/2013 10:19 AM
You've opened my eyes...
I'm happy with Turner as a defensive player. He's done well replacing the previous error prone (error lover really) player. I just thought he contribute better higher up...But down he goes.
I do the power in 3-5 as well, and I was playing with my speed and contact guys as 1-2 and 6-7 and 9. My problem is I got no real consistiant OBP guys.
I like this guys future though. Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rafael Montana  now to get a fast guy with his eye to set the table.
8/20/2013 11:47 AM
I will hit a lower OBP at 1 if his speed/base running is hi. This guy only had an obp of like .330. But when you add in 60ish SB, he is putting himself in scoring position more than someone with a higher OBP but lower speed.

8/20/2013 4:53 PM
That's what I'm going to shoot for next season. Got some speedy guys but their base running is horrible. Got some guys with very good eyes and contact numbers but can't run. Or I'll experiment with mikeT23 suggestions and put one of my best ops guys there.
8/21/2013 12:29 AM
Here's the logic behind high OBP at 1-2:   You want players on the bases when your 3-5 come to the plate(if you're going power at those spots).   Turtles score from first on a homer.   I'll bat speedy guys with low OBP at 8-9.   If they get on base, they can steal their way in scoring position and, if my 1-2 walk or get a hit, I'm exactly where I want to be.
8/21/2013 8:24 AM
I get the homer thing, but my two best homer guys average 25 a year. I'm hoping Montana will change that. So even my turtles are likely to get stranded. I play in Olympic stadium Montreal, all +'s so I get a fair bit of doubles from my speedsters. (I play with aggressive baserunning because of them) But no one is constistantly getting on base except my best hitter which I keep at #3 to increase the odds of scoring runs IF anyone gets on.

Well were a few weeks after the ALL-STAR break so given my staff I'll experiment with T23's strategy. If it goes well carry into next season. If my players flop, I'll build a new team next season...got a lot of high salary underperforming guys leaving, freeing up good money.

Lots to play with here..Thanks Guys
8/21/2013 10:59 AM
Nice thread, well done.
8/21/2013 12:22 PM
Posted by dvsman on 8/21/2013 10:59:00 AM (view original):
I get the homer thing, but my two best homer guys average 25 a year. I'm hoping Montana will change that. So even my turtles are likely to get stranded. I play in Olympic stadium Montreal, all +'s so I get a fair bit of doubles from my speedsters. (I play with aggressive baserunning because of them) But no one is constistantly getting on base except my best hitter which I keep at #3 to increase the odds of scoring runs IF anyone gets on.

Well were a few weeks after the ALL-STAR break so given my staff I'll experiment with T23's strategy. If it goes well carry into next season. If my players flop, I'll build a new team next season...got a lot of high salary underperforming guys leaving, freeing up good money.

Lots to play with here..Thanks Guys
There are a lot of ways to build a line-up.    More than one way works.  This one is interesting:

http://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/LineupAnalysis.py
8/21/2013 12:45 PM
My Coop line-up VL:

Player Name OBA Slugging
Player 1:
Player 2:
Player 3:
Player 4:
Player 5:
Player 6:
Player 7:
Player 8:
Player 9:

Their suggestions:
Runs per Game 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10404.058 Duran jose matos roberts prince petersen posada nolan sosa
10403.866 Duran jose matos roberts prince petersen sosa nolan posada
10401.352 Duran jose matos roberts prince nolan posada petersen sosa
10401.282 Duran jose prince roberts matos petersen posada nolan sosa
10401.160 Duran jose matos roberts prince nolan sosa petersen posada

Runs per Game 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
9790.914 petersen sosa matos nolan posada Duran roberts prince jose
9793.003 nolan petersen matos sosa posada Duran roberts prince jose
9793.598 petersen sosa posada nolan matos Duran roberts prince jose
9793.705 petersen sosa prince nolan posada Duran roberts matos jose
9793.738 petersen nolan matos sosa posada Duran roberts prince jose
8/21/2013 12:51 PM
12 Next ▸
A little mentor help Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.