The WIS simulation engine stinks at evaluating KSU Topic

This is not just a reaction to the hallucinatory 7-5 (4-5) prediction spit out for this year's simulation. For perspective, go back to 2012. The WIS sim engine spit out the following prediction for the ulitimately 11-1 (8-1) Wildcats: 6-6 (4-5). And this wasn't just some one year anomaly. In 2011, WIS's brilliant simulation prediction for K-State, which ultimately finished 10-2 (7-2)? Even FURTHER off-base than the 2012 prediction: 5-7 (3-6). In other words, just looking at conference records, the WIS sim engine was 4 games off each year. Factor in non-con, and it was 5 games off each year.

Considering that the WORST it could POSSIBLY miss by in projecting Big 12 conference results is 9 (prediction 9-0 for an 0-9 team or vice-versa), there's clearly something wrong with how the engine evaluates K-State. In my view, it clearly has NO variable that factors in how well Bill Snyder and the K-State coaching staff "coach up" the kids they land each season. And it clearly values hyped recruits (the 4-star/5-star guys) FAR too highly in regards to how they will perform.
8/22/2013 9:23 AM

What do you expect from a computer? if its 100 % right then anticipation of the games is weak. If the computer sims 1,000 times for a single game  it will have K-state beating their normal non conference foes like  North Dakota and Central Wyoming most of the time.

8/31/2013 8:25 AM
Their sims are notoriously ******.
8/31/2013 9:58 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 8/22/2013 9:23:00 AM (view original):
This is not just a reaction to the hallucinatory 7-5 (4-5) prediction spit out for this year's simulation. For perspective, go back to 2012. The WIS sim engine spit out the following prediction for the ulitimately 11-1 (8-1) Wildcats: 6-6 (4-5). And this wasn't just some one year anomaly. In 2011, WIS's brilliant simulation prediction for K-State, which ultimately finished 10-2 (7-2)? Even FURTHER off-base than the 2012 prediction: 5-7 (3-6). In other words, just looking at conference records, the WIS sim engine was 4 games off each year. Factor in non-con, and it was 5 games off each year.

Considering that the WORST it could POSSIBLY miss by in projecting Big 12 conference results is 9 (prediction 9-0 for an 0-9 team or vice-versa), there's clearly something wrong with how the engine evaluates K-State. In my view, it clearly has NO variable that factors in how well Bill Snyder and the K-State coaching staff "coach up" the kids they land each season. And it clearly values hyped recruits (the 4-star/5-star guys) FAR too highly in regards to how they will perform.
They did a hell of a job "coaching up" those kids last night.
8/31/2013 10:27 AM
This thread seems a bit silly today.
8/31/2013 11:52 AM

Anytime you lose to North Dakota State maybe the simulation engine is right this year. Kinda seems like the Wildcats are a one year wonder.
8/31/2013 12:09 PM
They lost a ton of talent, and it's not like they are the kind of powerhouse that can just easily reload.

No win situation scheduling someone as good as North Dakota St. You win no one cares because it's a D2 school, you lose everyone makes fun of you.
8/31/2013 12:28 PM
Whoops!
8/31/2013 4:52 PM
Posted by pyt100 on 8/31/2013 12:09:00 PM (view original):

Anytime you lose to North Dakota State maybe the simulation engine is right this year. Kinda seems like the Wildcats are a one year wonder.
"One year wonder?" You don't watch much college football, do you?

As for the NDSU game, our D-line, plus Coach Snyder's notoriously vanilla first-game game planning cost us that game. If our DL doesn't improve, though, 3-9 isn't out of the question. Jake Waters and the WRs can't win games by themselves that's for sure.
9/1/2013 9:04 PM
And the fact is, as Colonels noted, the WIS sims are notoriously awful. And losing to NDSU doesn't change the fact that the WIS sims were WAAAAYYY off in their previous sims regarding K-State.

It's also interesting to me that those of you talking trash now didn't have enough balls to do so BEFORE the season got going. That says all I need to know about you.
9/1/2013 9:06 PM
"hallucinatory 7-5 (4-5) prediction spit out for this year's simulation" ---> "3-9 isn't out of the question"

I smell hyperbole. Also, about WhatIfSports sims being "awful" in regards to K-State:

Of the teams that WhatIfSports projected K-State to lose to last year, only Texas Tech was given lower odds to win the National Title than K-State in the preseason. Vegas must be "awful" too... maybe that's why they make so much money off jokers who think they know so much.

You don't research before you rant. That tells us all we need to know about YOU.

9/2/2013 4:08 AM
I researched what WIS had predicted for K-State the previous two seasons. Their predicted record for KSU was laughably inaccurate. And Vegas has missed big on KSU a few times in the last couple years on KSU as well.

So, what they hell are you talking about, accusing me of "not researching"?

Also, I noticed you left off the part where I caveated "3-9" with "if our DL doesn't improve", because that fed your "hyperbole" narrative. That says a LOT about YOU.

9/2/2013 9:27 AM

You didn't catch the point I was driving at, which is: You can't tell me that most people would've expected K-State to do what they have done the last couple years, otherwise, Vegas' expectations of them would've been bigger. So, exactly how do WhatIfSports' projections stand out for being ludicrous beyond MOST projections of K-State? They don't.

Your statement would be 100% correct if you say: "WhatIfSports' predicted record for KSU was inaccurate the past two seasons". But, when you add in a word like "laughably", it insinuates that most others knew K-State would go to the Fiesta Bowl & be a top notch team in 2012. It was far from a given in the preseason that they would be better than TCU, West Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. So, again... what's so "laughable" about projecting them to lose to those teams?

9/2/2013 3:57 PM
The bottom line is Kansas State just sucks and apparently the mildcat fans must think they are top 25 material untill a cupcake comes to town and puts them where they should be anyway.
9/2/2013 11:05 PM
Posted by pyt100 on 9/2/2013 11:05:00 PM (view original):
The bottom line is Kansas State just sucks and apparently the mildcat fans must think they are top 25 material untill a cupcake comes to town and puts them where they should be anyway.
The "bottom line" is that apparently you don't know **** about college football. And "mildcat fans"? Did you come up with that hilarious zinger yourself? You're quite the comedian. You should take that show on the road.
9/3/2013 4:08 AM
12 Next ▸
The WIS simulation engine stinks at evaluating KSU Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.