What can you expect??????? Topic

Just another bad question: In whatifsports what can you expect from these categories:
2pt%#
3pt%#
efg%
OReb%
DReb%
Ast%
stl%
blk%
per
mid
pnt
NOTE Sal cap 42m
NOTE Can I have it position by position please?

8/22/2013 6:57 PM
What do you mean  "what can you expect"...

As in...what should you draft? What do they do? I'm not sure what you mean...
8/22/2013 7:37 PM
I am a little confused about, say, how much efg% I want from a point guard in my team. But I want all the stats on my list above and all positions, for a 42m team, if that's possible.
Sorry for being unclear
8/22/2013 8:00 PM
No worries. :)

I would take a peek at http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=445171&Page=1&TopicsTimeframe=30 with regard to usage. As far as my understanding, there isn't a data set on which positions receive more benefit from higher/lower usage. It's more about total usage on the floor, rather than position by position. Although, you might find some people who prefer to have their higher assist% guys not be their higher usage guys...not sure if there's any data to back that up, though.

8/22/2013 8:06 PM
Also, take a look in the knowledge base as far as what those do: http://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/knowledgebase.aspx?pid=8

Also, if, when you search by advanced stats when making a team, if you mouse over the category (in the search) it will give a brief explanation.
8/22/2013 8:10 PM
Thanks, but ive already seen that... so I understand usage (more or less)... I still dunno if you understand my question correctly... I want to know what is a good range numbers that I want on my team of the stats I posted at the beginning
8/22/2013 8:12 PM
Have you looked through the knowledge base? That might help some. At least with regards to how things like oreb and dreb, asst, etc work. I'm with Ash in that I don't think you should look at it as a matter of "get x amount of y" but rather:

Top two things:
1. get your usage straight (correct levels on the floor)
2. make sure you have enough minutes (but not too much - 16,700-17000 [and don't get bad rookies...])

...because these two things are fairly concrete. If you don't have enough usage, you will suffer a penalty. If you don't have enough minutes, you will suffer a penalty.

Additionally:

This is where things like "how much asst%, how many threes, etc" come in...

These are things that aren't as black and white with regard to "how much" you need. The more assists you get, the fewer rebounds you'll get (generally), etc. Here there be dragons, as they say. This is the land of trade offs. There isn't a set range of numbers you have to get as far as the numbers you specified. Some are more important than others (this is due to how the engine works). For instance, blocks and steals and not stressed as much as orebs and drebs (again, this is clarified in the KB).

You have to think about how your team will work. For instance, If you have a lof of high % shooters, who are bad on D, maybe you want to stress dreb rather than oreb. It might seem obvious, but the point is that there aren't set number for these types of things.

8/22/2013 8:37 PM
Thanx nc.      Bad link thisredbox.
I am still open to suggestions... please keep firing away...
8/22/2013 8:42 PM
However, general guidelines are that your higher usage guys should have 50% (or so) or better efg%. So, don't go drafting Iverson....

ncmusician is correct in that you can find better value ($/min) with partial season guys (1000-2800 mins).

You might want to stay with at least 40-50% (total starting on the floor) asst% at a minimum. This isn't a definite, but unless you are severely overcompensating somewhere else, try to stay above here (shouldn't be hard).

8/22/2013 8:44 PM
http://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/knowledgebase.aspx?pid=8
8/22/2013 8:45 PM
thisredbox one more explanation... I dont really want to know what they mean, but thank you for the move your mouse over the stat thing, that is helpful. Once you know what I really mean you will help a bunch. kinda like what nc had but I want a lot of suggestions. The more the merrier!
I'm being fussy, fussy arent i?
still bad link
ps thanx for your next to last post that was helpful so asst and usage and 2pt% are the only real important ''special categories??
8/22/2013 8:51 PM (edited)
The link is fine, for some reason it isn't hyperlinking. just copy and paste.
8/22/2013 8:50 PM
Found it thanx. Keep firing away VERY helpful so far
8/22/2013 8:53 PM
I don't mind helping - I'm no ash or tad (but I've won a few champs and have a decent top 25 rating, for whatever that's worth). What suggestions are you looking for specifically? The engine is quite complicated, and there are some things that we know are hard and fast rules (like usage penalties), but a lot is a game of trade offs. 
8/22/2013 8:55 PM
123 Next ▸
What can you expect??????? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.