Showing up on recruit - no effort ever Topic

I've never seen this before but I'm showing up on a recruit that I have never put any recruiting effort into. No phone call, no letters, not even on my watch list...NOTHING.

The guy is a transfer from another school. Has anyone else had this happen before? It seems odd that a recruit could just show up like that considering you.
8/22/2013 7:18 PM
Absolutely nothing on the history tab?
8/22/2013 7:36 PM
nm - you're in phelan, i shouldn't comment. 
8/22/2013 7:46 PM
0 in the history part. I showed up on 2 guys. 1 is an ineligible who didn't show up last year, so that guy makes sense.

The other is strange though.
8/22/2013 7:53 PM
I've seen this recently in Naismith and Wooden recruiting... seems to be a bug. Recruits who don't get any interest starting calling teams, then show up as considering w/o any effort. I've seen a recruits with as many as 4-5 schools listed as considering. And from what I can tell the recruits are generally pretty crappy. 
8/22/2013 9:04 PM
Yeah, I've seen this two, but only in the last season across a couple of worlds.  Must be new.  
8/22/2013 9:22 PM
It's been happening very commonly. Would really like to see WIS fix this.
8/22/2013 9:34 PM
It's been around for a while.  But a guy who's a transfer - you're sure you didn't put in any effort when he was a freshman?  That can carry over now I think.
8/22/2013 9:37 PM
Just scrubs looking for a place to land. It happens frequently enough that I've seen it many times, yet infrequently enough that I've had comments directed to myself and conference mates as to why on earth we were even bothering to recruit such awful players, lol.   I think they just pick a sample of some close by teams and decide those are who they want to consider. Ignore them.
8/22/2013 9:38 PM
I've had it happen with a transfer who was in the same skillz category with the scrubs who do that.  Only just that one time, but I'd been at that school for a long time and I know I never called him or anything else.
8/22/2013 9:44 PM
used to see this in DIII and DII - have not seen in ages, but I bet it is there.  These are guys you will not want
8/22/2013 10:54 PM
This happens late in recruiting when a player who hasn't seen any effort at all from any teams decides he wants to reach out to local or regional teams in hopes of getting a scholarship.  He will show up as considering any team he reaches out to, which is sometimes as many as five teams at once.

As a result, if you click on the guy who just sent you that message about himself, it will look like your school and several others are in a heated battle over this previously untouchable recruit, when in fact none of you ever went after him to begin with.

Also, he will show up on your team's considering list in profile, which is perhaps the more annoying part. If you're still active in recruiting players you DO want, now people suddenly see an extra guy there and think you are spending in more places or are going after more guys than you have openings for, and it can lead to potential battles you don't want because of misinformation (and, really, the other guy really shouldn't want this battle either since you really AREN'T spending what he thinks you are and he's initiated a battle based on that same misinformation).

8/23/2013 11:04 AM
Sorry, I guess I didnt clarify. But, this was prior to the start of recruiting and the kid is a transfer from a Big East team (although not a player I would want to take at my Ivy league school).

And yes the fact that there is no way I can get him off my considering list when I did nothing in the first place to get him there is what really irks me.
8/23/2013 3:53 PM
you could say you want to RS him, that'd get him off your list I bet. 
8/23/2013 4:00 PM
Too bad he's already been redshirted, so there literally is no option to get him off
8/23/2013 4:05 PM
12 Next ▸
Showing up on recruit - no effort ever Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.