1st Ever NBA SIM Auction League Topic

I'm sure some of you guys do an auction format for your NFL Fantasy Leagues, and LOVE it, so why not bring the concept here?  I've been around a pretty long time and don't remember it ever being done.  Here's the thought, but please feel free to comment.  After 24 owners sign-up, and the snake Draft order is randomly determined, each owner will select a player in their hour time slot.  A player, NOT for their team, but for the other 23 owners in the League to bid part of their $100 auction allowance on.  The owner who selects a player to be bid on will then receive site-mailed bids on that player for 24 hours.  After 24 hours, the selecting owner will post the winning bid and bidder.  To prevent owners from selecting "garbage" players, they will be required to bid $2 for any player they receive no other bids for - this is the one and only way a player they select will be on their team.  There will be a $80 million WIS salary cap, and owners may use any season of the players they win in auction.  Players are exclusive.  To help discourage owners from over-bidding on numerous players every day, if they ever get to a point where they have less than $1 left for every open spot on their roster, all players won that day will default to the 2nd highest bidder for each.  For simplicity, Draft spots may only be traded in their entirety and only before the draft starts, and players may not be traded until all teams are full.  Once a team is full, that owner will not select players to be bid on any longer (no longer anything keeping them for selecting garbage).  Owners at the beginning of the next round will move up, so there are 12 players selected each day, along with 12 players (selected the previous day) won.  I hope I've explained that OK.  It's not as "simple" as most things we do here, and it will require a 24 day commitment to the auction Draft (unless someone comes-up with a better idea of how to run it).  Thoughts?  
8/23/2013 3:53 PM
I have thought about running an auction league and thought up a few different ways to do it. I brought it up in the 52 mil draft league forum a couple versions ago and a few people were interested.  I had discussions with dh as recently as a couple weeks ago about moving forward with something. 

I think I had landed on a way that would allow for the draft to run faster, but I haven't had time to test it out yet (school started back up and I've been busy prepping my courses). I'll discuss this with you in a sitemail a bit later.
8/23/2013 4:35 PM
I think the salary cap should be $52M or lower.  Perhaps you should make a rule that you have to have at least $1 remaining for every roster spot left (or ur bid will be disqualified). Also, what if the winning bid is a tie?
8/23/2013 6:17 PM
I have a system for ties.. i can explain later.. pretty simple
8/23/2013 6:27 PM
so for ties the commish would assign each owner a number 1-24.. without telling them the numbers until after the draft.

Random.org would be used to create a sequence of 1-4.. this sequence would be the order of

1. even low
2. even high
3. odd low
4. odd high

So the tie-breakers for the rounds would be those in the assigned random order.

These would be known by noone but the commissioner..

The commish would automatically lose all ties.

For example.. if on day 1 the tie-breaker was odd high.. an odd number would beat an even number.. and if two odd numbered owners were tied.. the higher number would win

8/23/2013 6:35 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 8/23/2013 6:17:00 PM (view original):
I think the salary cap should be $52M or lower.  Perhaps you should make a rule that you have to have at least $1 remaining for every roster spot left (or ur bid will be disqualified). Also, what if the winning bid is a tie?
The $1 for every spot was already included.  Admittedly hadn't thought about tie bids.
8/23/2013 6:49 PM
The other option I considered for ties was using the NY Lottery that zizzo uses for his drafts.. and assigning 1 time to each owner.. then each day the higher sum would get the tiebreaker over the lower sum. That just required a little more work.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering.. yes, I have spent alot of time thinking about how to get an auction league to work. Yes, I talked to other owners about these ideas. Yes, I almost posted two or 3 of them late at night over the summer.. In the end, I am just not up for running leagues anymore. Too many disappointments. Too hard to get and keep owners.. blah blah. I don't want to mess with it. So, I hope all3 will mess with it instead!
8/23/2013 8:41 PM (edited)
BTW I do not like the idea of having all 24 owners receive sitemails.. I don't want to rely on 24 people to do something correctly haha. I sitemailed all3 about one way I had thought of taking bids. There are I'm sure other options. I would feel more comfortable with all3 just sending his bids out earlier than everyone else.. to 1 other person.. and then accepting all bids himself. 

Another idea I had sunk quite a bit of time into.. was making it a fix cost draft.. where each player was assigned a point value.. and at your draft slot you just paid the cost for whoever you wanted. That isn't quite as fun.. but is easier. I was basing the costs off of 52 mil draft results..
8/23/2013 8:46 PM (edited)
I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one who's been thinking about this.  Sure would like to hear from more than two other people on it though.
8/23/2013 11:22 PM
leibo and dh were up for an auction style I know. 
8/23/2013 11:45 PM
You know if WIS wanted to do something that actually made them money they could create a live auction draft UI and use it in all their games. HAHA ok. Going to bed.
8/23/2013 11:46 PM
in
8/23/2013 11:48 PM
Only 4 owners have ever thought about doing an NBA SIM Auction Draft?  Wow.
8/26/2013 9:52 AM
This is rather depressing
8/26/2013 8:19 PM
I'd be in for sure.

Cmon people this would be fun!
8/27/2013 10:58 AM
123 Next ▸
1st Ever NBA SIM Auction League Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.