Amateur Draft Signability Topic

Hi all,

Question: If a player's signability is: "May sign if the deal is right. Has been offered several scholarships to play college baseball at a DI school",and is a top 5 pick, how much do you think he will demand? I am drafting #2 overall, and from my experience #2 picks have been getting bonuses around $4mm in previous drafts. With this comment is he likely to demand closer to $6mm? 

Thanks

8/26/2013 6:06 PM
If you're lucky
8/26/2013 11:32 PM
I believe the highest asking price for a drafted player is $12 mil for a "probably won't sign guy".  I had a "probably won't sign" pitcher I drafted w/ the 3rd pick many seasons ago.  It took about 4 or 5 attempts before he finally agreed to sign at his asking price, which was approx. $11.5 mil IIRC.  At the 2nd pick, with a "may sign if the deal is right" he's probably going to ask for around $8 mil, if he agrees to sign.  The original slot offer will be a shade below $4 mil.  Who is his agent?  If its his mother, the probably won't sign at all, if he has an agent, but comes back and says he's going to take the D1 scholarship, he should allow you to offer a slot offer again.  Sometimes he'll change his mind and be willing to sign, sometimes he won't.  As I said w/ that #3 pick, it took about 4-5 cycles, which w/ the waiting for an answer was roughly a month of real time.  Its all a % game, if you had infinent time to wait (which you don't since at some point the season ends and rolls over) so I think anyone w/ an agent will eventually agree to sign either at slot or at a higher rate.
8/28/2013 4:18 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Can you see who represents the player before the the draft? All I see is a "consultant" on the draft card, and I've never seen it say "mom". 

8/28/2013 6:01 PM
So I drafted a player that said: "Looking to be drafted in the first round, if not he'll head back to college for his senior season" as the #2 pick. After both contract offers his agent replied "Your offer has my client attention, but fred is considering going back to college...." I think I read somewhere that they may change their mind without increasing my offer, is this true? Or should I keep going higher? This guy is a stud, so I definitely want him, but I may be forced to give up a good player in order to have enough money.
9/1/2013 5:17 PM
Wait until you comes back with another demand or tells you he's going back to college.   Increasing your offer won't help.
9/1/2013 5:19 PM
oh, so I increased my 2nd offer by a couple hundred thousand, should I withdraw and reoffer the minimum amount then right since it doesn't matter right? Or now that he's seen a higher offer, that I have to continue offering him that amount? 

Also, if he got drafted in the 1st round then technically shouldn't he be signing then? 

Also, is it basically 50-50 whether he'll sign? 
9/1/2013 5:46 PM (edited)
Leave whatever you have on the table.  Nothing changes this part.  First time this happened to me, I asked another owner, they told me one real life calendar week till he counters and it's proven true every time.  After one real life week he will come back with a counter offer.  It may even be lower than your current one (although for the #2 pick I suspect not).  Match it and he's yours.  Will probably miss the start of the rookie league season.

9/1/2013 7:10 PM
You're basically bidding against yourself with no guarantee that he'll take any offer.  However if he does come back asking for more you've now raised the floor that he'll be adding to if there is an increase.  Better to be patient, see if he signs or will come back with further demands.
9/1/2013 10:50 PM
Unfortunately, since you have made a second offer without him asking I believe if he says no to whatever you offer and he comes back with something you can't afford you do NOT get the compensation pick, correct?
9/1/2013 10:54 PM
Hmm.  I would think that if the draftee rejects an offer, as long as it meets or exceeds his initial demands, compensation should be awarded.  I've never offered a draftee more than he asked for (why do noobs frequently seem to try this?), so I am not speaking from experience.
9/2/2013 12:30 AM
It's not the more, it's the multiple offers.
9/2/2013 12:41 AM
You get a pick if he declines the offer (either flat out declines, or asks for more). If you go back AFTER he has made his move then you do not get the pick.
9/2/2013 8:40 AM
So to clarify:

His original demands were $3.9mm, I offered that he said he was waiting to decide to go back to college, so I upped it to $4.1mm. and he replied with the same thing.

Then I posted on the forum here asking what to do.

Can I withdraw the $4.1mm offer and reoffer the $3.9mm offer since apparently I was just bidding against myself? Or is it too late now and I just have to wait to see his new counter offer? 
9/3/2013 9:56 AM
Posted by bglick on 9/3/2013 9:56:00 AM (view original):
So to clarify:

His original demands were $3.9mm, I offered that he said he was waiting to decide to go back to college, so I upped it to $4.1mm. and he replied with the same thing.

Then I posted on the forum here asking what to do.

Can I withdraw the $4.1mm offer and reoffer the $3.9mm offer since apparently I was just bidding against myself? Or is it too late now and I just have to wait to see his new counter offer? 
I would just wait to see his counter-offer.
I believe that by upping your offer, you have ensured you will not receive compensation next year if he doesn't sign. 

The reason:
"In order to receive Type "D" compensation, you must offer the draft pick his initial demands, he must refuse to sign the contract, and the contract must    NEVER BE WITHDRAWN at any time during the current season."

Upping your offer withdraws your original offer (you can see that transaction line in your negotiation page). I am not 100% that a withdrawl of that type will keep you from getting compensation, but I do believe that to be the case. 
9/3/2013 10:09 AM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Amateur Draft Signability Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.