Posted by bglick on 9/3/2013 9:56:00 AM (view original):
So to clarify:
His original demands were $3.9mm, I offered that he said he was waiting to decide to go back to college, so I upped it to $4.1mm. and he replied with the same thing.
Then I posted on the forum here asking what to do.
Can I withdraw the $4.1mm offer and reoffer the $3.9mm offer since apparently I was just bidding against myself? Or is it too late now and I just have to wait to see his new counter offer?
I would just wait to see his counter-offer.
I believe that by upping your offer, you have ensured you will not receive compensation next year if he doesn't sign.
"In order to receive Type "D" compensation, you must offer the draft pick his initial demands, he must refuse to sign the contract, and the contract must NEVER BE WITHDRAWN at any time during the current season."
Upping your offer withdraws your original offer (you can see that transaction line in your negotiation page). I am not 100% that a withdrawl of that type will keep you from getting compensation, but I do believe that to be the case.