Defensive Metrics Topic

A good piece from Mark Simon at ESPN on defensive metrics. Talking specifically about Trout, he gives some insight on how defensive runs saved are calculated.

Some highlights:

Baseball Info Solutions helped us quantify that even further. Their group watches every play of every game and charts the location and speed for every batted ball. They turn the field into a grid and can tell you for any square in their grid how often a ball hit to that area is turned into an out. 

The three balls to which we're referring were hit to spots at speeds that generated outs from center fielders 57 percent, 97 percent and 92 percent of the time, respectively, in all parks, with similar numbers when isolating it specific to Oakland's home ballpark. When a center fielder misses two balls with out rates of 90 percent or higher, that's basically the defensive equivalent of a hitter going 0-for-7. Trout and 
Brian Bogusevic are the only two to have a game like that this season

And:

This doesn't necessarily make him a bad defensive outfielder, just as last year's numbers didn't necessarily make him a great one. One of the things that happens when we evaluate defense is that we form an early impression and presume the player is always as good as that impression. But defense, like offense, can fluctuate. 

Good players can have good seasons. They can have bad ones too. And right now, Trout's defensive season just isn't that good.

8/30/2013 1:09 PM
i didn't read the article but i read where it said Trout missed two balls where the out rate was 90% in Oakland. I believe Oakland during the day has the most errors by sun in the entire league i dunno if that is measured in anyway but i just thought i'd mention it. Not sure if that stat is accurate but i heard it the other day and thought it was interesting.
8/30/2013 4:12 PM
This doesn't necessarily make him a bad defensive outfielder, just as last year's numbers didn't necessarily make him a great one. 

8/30/2013 4:43 PM
When a center fielder misses two balls with out rates of 90 percent or higher, that's basically the defensive equivalent of a hitter going 0-for-7. 
8/30/2013 4:43 PM
SOLUTION :

end of thread, wrap it up. see u next month...

the only way to prove this lame prediction about a batter, just makes this thread better-suited for a garden of flowers.

so, make trout the dh. period. absolute 100% void of defensive liability. again, the beauty of the game that it allows for a designated hitter or batter. then, every time that trout goes 0-7 in a standard box-score, u will finally know that those defensive numbers were right. which, again, they are way not right.

every time, every 0-7, and u will know that u made the right choice batting him as a dh, and kept him out of the field.

forget the invite to post next month. come back in 5 years with all the new and latest 0-7 trout numbers.

is this because u have sent ESPN nice letters telling them to show trout more on web gems, as a dh?
8/30/2013 4:54 PM (edited)
SAD NEWS from someone's crystal ball:

trout, battling an 0-21 slump, over the last 6 games, still laments that the 6 "risks" of errors he has saved the team, and even the 6 catches that he should have made, by batting 0-21, is still not enough to merit his desire to be in the hall of fame. 

stay tuned, after this short break from a local community college. we will return shortly, to tell you what this means to the future of baseball. stay tuned. no, i mean it.

hey. always wanted to ask a guy like u, this question about espn. do they really have a college? u could learn about a slide-rule there, in a college, u know?
8/30/2013 8:36 PM (edited)
let me try the "find-the-common-denominator" mathematical puzzle-solver kind of stuff. leaning on the old tried and true rule of mathematics, to simplify.

throw in some elementary school english, and sentence structure. i have a 5-STAR rating, by the way, in sentence structure, because a lady on another unspoken network, told me so.

simplifying, and just sand-blasting everything down to the first three words of your brand new thread. a good piece...

repeating, a good piece.

everybody in site-wide forums have their own ideas of what "a good piece" is, and what "a good piece" means to them.

end of thread, let's go. shut it down. espn cant decide, cant predict. all bases covered. all wonders and none of them made the 7 world wonders list, so find another sports network that delivers. none of this is the 8th wonder of the world, either.

bye. hope u have a good piece.
8/30/2013 5:47 PM (edited)
This just proves how ******* stupid overanalyzation of the game is. **** metrics....I have EYES.
8/30/2013 6:09 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 8/30/2013 6:09:00 PM (view original):
This just proves how ******* stupid overanalyzation of the game is. **** metrics....I have EYES.
RFO !

( right friggin' ON ! )
8/30/2013 6:43 PM
8/30/2013 7:23 PM
Posted by iverbure on 8/30/2013 4:12:00 PM (view original):
i didn't read the article but i read where it said Trout missed two balls where the out rate was 90% in Oakland. I believe Oakland during the day has the most errors by sun in the entire league i dunno if that is measured in anyway but i just thought i'd mention it. Not sure if that stat is accurate but i heard it the other day and thought it was interesting.
The field is also below sea level and is often quite slick, especially at night. The ball has a tendency to skid when hitting the grass.

Why is Trout getting dinged for the left fielder getting in the way? Is the reason he didn't catch the ball because the LF got in the way?

What if a guy goes 0-7 but drives in three runs and moves the runner over twice with no outs? Is that unproductive?

8/31/2013 4:45 AM
"We don't need to see the game.  We have the stats." - bad_luck, circa yesterday.
8/31/2013 7:33 AM
Stupid games!!  Give me nice numbers!!!!
8/31/2013 8:04 AM
"And right now, Trout's defensive season just isn't that good."

So what's the argument? Trout is worse defensively this year?  Based on what, what is he doing wrong compared to last year?

8/31/2013 11:39 AM
no. excerpts and espn college bathroom web-cams reveal the comparison used here.

trout goes 4-4, steals a base, but anaheim is goose-egged after nine innings. my best kaliedoscope opinion is that trout did not score the run that was supposed to make him a lock for the hall. the defensive metrics were right again, when the batters hitting behind trout went 0-7.

obviously the goose and the egg are two different things. but, which came first, the goose or the egg? my take on defensive metrics here, just makes me want to really drive home the definition of the goose first. with a bat. credit to defensive metrics here have the goose-egg delineated on a grid as one thing only.

should we conduct another poll (pole), in case this gets long?
8/31/2013 12:05 PM
1|2|3...23 Next ▸
Defensive Metrics Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.