CVAC-Heartland Challenge Season 68 Topic

The Saints (Mary's and Edward's) came marching in #1 & #2 with the Heartland only needing two victories to win the Challenge. The Heartland got two wins, but things certainly didn't go as anticipated.

Limestone 60, St Mary's 57: In a rematch of last season's NT final, this game was amazing competitive throughout. St Mary's opened up the largest lead of the game on Josh Bennett 3 with 3:33 remaining, pushing the lead to 6. Limestone takes a timeout with just under 3 minutes remaining. Whatever was said in that huddle, it worked as Limestone scored on every remaining possession while St Mary's went cold. Despite the loss, St Mary's stays at #1.

Longwood 60, St Edwards 50: Longwood played outstanding 1st half defense, holding St Edwards to 19 points, enroute to a ten point win. Longwood held St Eds to 39% shooting, but managed only 43% themselves. Longwood milked extra possessions out slim edges in rebounding, turnovers, and steals that proved to be the difference.

Valdosta St 65, Lees-McRae 52: this was a tale of two halves, as Lees ground out an impressive 9 point lead at half, holding Valdosta to 7 FGs, while shooting better than 50% themselves. The reverse was true in the second half: Lees managed 7 FGs while Valdosta went off, out scoring Lees 44-22.

And in the final deciding game of the Challenge (because I get to create self-importance by doing the summaries):

incarnate Word 78, Coker 55: in a game the oddsmakers set at a one point spread, IW went off early and never looked back, holding a 20 point lead at half. Coker's small ball attack wasn't hitting, going 4 of 21 from deep. IW collected those misses, out rebounding Coker 46-28.

There's something about this IW team. They've had a couple of inexplicable performances (which i guess you get only having one senior) but they are dangerous. Perhaps after last night, coach has finally settled on a lineup.
11/16/2013 8:42 AM
Congrats to the Heartland. When I saw that we upset St. Ed's, and that Limestone upset St. Mary's, I wrongly assumed the CVAC was victorious yet again. Another great challenge! They're definitely the (slightly) better conference this season
11/16/2013 9:08 AM
Great job Heartland and congrats!  Like bbunch, I thought we had a chance when I saw we both won.  Glad I said the right things in the huddle!  Home cooking helped I am sure.  GL to everyone the rest of the way.

11/16/2013 10:15 PM
◂ Prev 12
CVAC-Heartland Challenge Season 68 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.