Home Grown V $120 mil (Need 1) Topic

Have you ever wanted to travel back in time and reverse the course of history?  This league will give you the opportunity to select a franchise and use players that were originally drafted & signed by your team.

What I mean by drafted AND signed is the first team that signed a player.  One of the most infamous cases of a player being originally drafted but not signing with that team is JD Drew and the Philadelphia Phillies.  In this theme, Drew can only be on the St. Louis Cardinals as he would not be eligible on the Phillies.

For example, Jeff Bagwell can only be on the Red Sox but you can twist to any year of his career since he does not have any seasons in the WIS database with Boston.  Bagwell cannot be on the Astros in this theme.

The Red Sox are absolutely loaded in this theme since they also get to use Fred Lynn, Brady Anderson, Ellis Burks, Curt Schilling, & John Tudor.  However, Boston does not get to use any version of David Ortiz (Mariners) or Manny Ramirez (Indians).  Make sense?

Players signed from Japan/Cuba/Mexico, etc are also eligible to be used with their original franchise, ie Ichiro/Mariners, Nomo/Dodgers, since there was not a draft process to acquire these players. 

Use franchise history, Rangers/Senators, Expos/Nationals, Pilots/Brewers, etc.

Franchise is exclusive, no duplicates.

League Rules:
  • $120 million cap
  • Player pool:  1965-2013.  Players signed before 1965 are OK to use as long as you use a season during this era.
  • YES: DH, twisting
  • NO: WW, AAA, Trades, Clones, injuries
  • Stadium must've been used by your franchise during the era (1965-2013)
  • Division:  Aligned to actual MLB divisions.  Dual owners please select an AL/NL franchise.
  • Standard 24 team, 6 division league w/ 3 division winners & wild card from each league make the playoffs.
  • No requirements for Live Play.
I have created a spreadsheet with eligible players for each franchise which can be provided for researching teams.  It has been updated to include 2013 players.

10/7/2013 1:03 PM (edited)
AVAILABLE TEAMS (bold):

ATLANTA BRAVES - Got_Worms
BALTIMORE ORIOLES
BOSTON RED SOX - Vindex24
CHICAGO CUBS - keymaster
CHICAGO WHITE SOX
CINCINNATI REDS - cyclonejim
CLEVELAND INDIANS - specsman
DETROIT TIGERS - vasellineball
EXPANSION COMBO (D'BACKS/MARLINS/RAYS/ROCKIES) - jfranco77
HOUSTON ASTROS - bixman51
KANSAS CITY ROYALS - Heavy_PRB
LOS ANGELES ANGELS - cyclonejim
LOS ANGELES DODGERS - lkocur
MILWAUKEE BREWERS/SEATTLE PILOTS
MINNESOTA TWINS - bhoser
NEW YORK METS - specsman
NEW YORK YANKEES - vinman300
OAKLAND A'S - House_rules
PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES  - indy_angels
PITTSBURGH PIRATES
SAN DIEGO PADRES - jbailey74
SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - gyrene
SEATTLE MARINERS - fnn2030
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS - ddodge02
TEXAS RANGERS/WASHINGTON SENATORS - Taft
TORONTO BLUE JAYS - Got_Worms
WASHINGTON NATIONALS/MONTREAL EXPOS - BCBSMA
11/3/2013 10:14 AM (edited)

Key players from available teams:

BALTIMORE ORIOLES
C:   Matt Wieters
1B:  Eddie Murray, Boog Powell
2B:  Davey Johnson, Bobby Grich, Brian Roberts
3B:  Brooks Robinson, Manny Machado
SS:  Cal Ripken Jr
OF:  Don Baylor, Al Bumbry, Steve Finley, Merv Rettenmund
SP:  Jim Palmer, Dave McNally, Milt Pappas, Mike Mussina
RP:  Arthur Rhodes, Koji Uehera, Armando Benitez

CHICAGO WHITE SOX
C:    Brian Downing, Ron Karkovice 
1B:  Frank Thomas, Mike Morse, Norm Cash
2B:  Randy Velarde, Ray Durham 
3B:  Robin Ventura
SS:  Luis Aparicio, Alexei Ramirez
OF:  Harold Baines, Mike Cameron, Carlos Lee, Chris Young
SP:  Doug Drabek, Gio Gonzalez, Denny McLain, Gary Peters, Jack McDowell, Chris Sale, Daniel Hudson
RP:  Goose Gossage, Buddy Groom, Brendan Donnelly, Cisco Carlos, Joe Hoerner, Bobby Thigpen

MILWAUKEE BREWERS
C:  Darrell Porter, BJ Surhoff, Jonathan Lucroy, Dave Nilsson 
1B:  Paul Molitor, Prince Fielder
2B:  Mark Loretta
3B:  Jeff Cirillo
SS:  Robin Yount
OF:  Gary Sheffield, Sixto Lezcano, Greg Vaughn, Ryan Braun 
SP:  Ben Sheets, Teddy Higuera, Cal Eldred, Chris Bosio
RP:  Doug Jones, Mike Adams, Craig Breslow, Doug Henry, Joe Thatcher, Dan Plesac, Caleb Thielbar 

PITTSBURGH PIRATES
C:  Jason Kendall, Manny Sanguillen
1B:  Kevin Young
2B:  Willie Randolph, Bip Roberts
3B:  Jose Bautista, Bobby Bonilla
SS:  Gene Alley, Tony Womack
OF:  Barry Bonds, Moises Alou, Dave Parker, Willie Stargell, Andrew McCutchen, Jay Buhner, Al Oliver, Miguel Dilone
SP:  Vern Law, Pascual Perez, Tim Wakefield, Bob Veale
RP:  Tim Burke, Dick Bosman, Rick Honeycutt, Steve Farr, Randy Tomlin, Mike Gonzalez, Al Holland, Kent Tekulve, Tony Watson

11/3/2013 10:15 AM (edited)
NY Mets, please
9/10/2013 5:16 PM
Good choice specsman.  Do you want me to email you the spreadsheet?  I could try posting it in the forum but not sure it will format very well.
9/11/2013 6:42 PM
i'll take the Cardinals!   Are franchises exclusive?
9/11/2013 11:37 PM
Yes ddodge02 thank you for reminding me to put that in the theme rules!  All exclusive players as well.
9/12/2013 1:47 AM
Posted by ddodge02 on 9/11/2013 11:37:00 PM (view original):
i'll take the Cardinals!   Are franchises exclusive?
Sitemail me your email address and I will send you the excel file with some eligible players for the Cardinals.
9/13/2013 11:21 AM
I will take the Red Sox
9/13/2013 8:32 PM
Great choice Vindex24.  You get all the usual chowder head suspects as well like Boggs, Nomar, Pedroia, Dewey, Rice, Yaz, Clemens...
9/14/2013 12:13 AM
I like to take the dodgers but befor I do I like  to know  can I take all dodgers from 1965- 2013 and twist to any year
9/16/2013 8:19 PM
Hi gees51, the Dodgers are probably the best all around team in this theme since you get to use Roberto Clemente, Paul Konerko, & Pedro Martinez in this theme along with the usual suspects (Piazza, Garvey, Sax, Beltre, Kemp, Nomo, Kershaw, Fernando, Hershiser, Gagne).  You cannot however, use any season of any Dodgers player between 1965-2013.  I can send you the spreadsheet of eligible players in this theme if it will help you draft your team.

For example you cannot use any season of Pedro Guerrero (Indians), Jay Howell (Reds), Kirk Gibson (Tigers), Shawn Green (Blue Jays), Brett Butler (Braves).  Make sense?
9/17/2013 1:55 AM (edited)
I will pass
9/17/2013 5:58 AM
Really, you don't want the best team in this theme?
9/17/2013 9:17 AM
your right send me the spreadsheet
9/17/2013 11:13 AM
12345 Next ▸
Home Grown V $120 mil (Need 1) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.