This is supposed to be controversial? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dahsdebater on 9/12/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Maybe you are right and I should take the high road on this one. Sometimes I just find it so incredulous when people act like dahs often does, though.
Maybe you don't keep doing it...
Probably the greatest post I've ever seen.
9/19/2013 9:10 AM
Posted by bistiza on 9/17/2013 3:00:00 PM (view original):
dahs here you go with a demonstration on how to be arrogant again by pretending to speak for "anyone with command of the English language".

Not everyone has to view things the way you do. "it frankly doesn't sound right " TO YOU. That doesn't mean everyone else has to agree.

Yes, language can be defined by what people believe it to mean, but there are limits on that principle. If I say apple and you insist I must have meant banana, that doesn't fly.

In this case, my meaning was perfectly clear and I explained my word choice and the reasons behind it. In fact, I choose the word I did in order to avoid potential misunderstandings (as I explained before, the word "incredible", while perhaps technically more appropriate, can lead to incorrect connotations, while "incredulous" is far less likely to do so).

You just can't let an argument go, can you? Good lord man, it was a mistake. There is no way to justify it. You can't use words and give them any definition you want them to have.
9/19/2013 9:14 AM
Posted by The Taint on 9/17/2013 9:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 9/17/2013 8:31:00 AM (view original):
you how to look up a definition and copy and pasted it here. do you want a cookie?
Interesting post there. Seems like something SF would post....
Bout as good as this one, though we all know what happened here.....
9/19/2013 10:22 AM
I just got back around to reading this, but I refer you to my previous statement: 

You can't use words and give them any definition you want them to have. That's not how language works.
9/23/2013 10:44 PM
dahs here you go with a demonstration on how to be arrogant again by pretending to speak for "anyone with command of the English language".

Not everyone has to view things the way you do. "it frankly doesn't sound right " TO YOU. That doesn't mean everyone else has to agree.

Yes, language can be defined by what people believe it to mean, but there are limits on that principle. If I say apple and you insist I must have meant banana, that doesn't fly.

In this case, my meaning was perfectly clear and I explained my word choice and the reasons behind it. In fact, I choose the word I did in order to avoid potential misunderstandings (as I explained before, the word "incredible", while perhaps technically more appropriate, can lead to incorrect connotations, while "incredulous" is far less likely to do so).
A point which he basically made himself right here.  Conversely, if you say banana, it doesn't mean apple, even if that's what you had intended to say.  And if you meant apple but said banana anyway, you can't expect everyone else to know what you meant and insist that "your meaning was perfectly clear."
9/23/2013 11:53 PM
Then again, these people may have an axe to grind and an overly obsessive determination to prove someone wrong over anything they can, so they should probably just go get a life and get over the fact that it isn't happening this time.
It's happened a number of times, your just too self-important to recognize it...
9/25/2013 3:33 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...9 Next ▸
This is supposed to be controversial? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.