This is supposed to be controversial? Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You're right, I mischaracterized it as a grammar issue.  It was a usage issue.  Maybe you can substitute more general synonyms - which are deeply buried in any dictionary definition I can find, if there at all - and make it sound reasonable, but incredulous specifically refers to a human state.  Probably the best one-word synonym would be skeptical.

Why not just admit it wasn't what you meant to type?  You always find it necessary to dig yourself into deeper holes when you make a mistake or say something silly off the cuff.

9/14/2013 3:08 AM

in·cred·u·lous

[in-krej-uh-luhs] Show IPA
adjective
not credulous; disinclined or indisposed to believe; skeptical.
indicating or showing unbelief: an incredulous smile.
9/16/2013 3:11 PM
Posted by bistiza on 9/17/2013 8:31:00 AM (view original):
you how to look up a definition and copy and pasted it here. do you want a cookie?
Interesting post there. Seems like something SF would post....
9/17/2013 9:15 AM
I did it because I'm not arguing with dahs any more about this, and I was pointing out how foolish his attempts were. I have no idea how SF would have dealt with it, and I honestly don't think it matters. He hasn't been back since I asked him why he seemed angry anyway.
9/17/2013 12:00 PM
I admitted I made a hasty language mistake when I referred to it as a grammatical error.  You'll never admit that you've made any mistake, or been wrong about anything.  It's hard to criticize anyone else for degrading the quality a discussion when you aren't quite as flexible as concrete.
9/17/2013 2:37 PM
Which is the whole reason I bothered pointing out a silly linguistic error in the first place - because I knew you would defend it even though anyone with command of the English language realizes it just frankly doesn't sound right.  And now you'll say you don't care, it says what you wanted it to say.  Guess what?  Language is defined by what people believe it to mean.  That's what makes it language.  If you've conceded that other people think the word means what I said it means, then that IS what it means.  That's how language works.
9/17/2013 2:39 PM
I think I've made my point here.
9/17/2013 3:22 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
This is supposed to be controversial? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.