From here on known as the 2OT Progressive League

The idea is to run a close to traditional progressive league but with a small twist and a big twist. We have run several progressives that use 2 different seasons. This is a twist on that idea.

League start

For the first draft players must be from one of the years 1979/1980 or 1980/1981.
We will hold a 24 team 12 player draft to begin the league.
This draft will be in ABBABABABABA format. The draft will be run untimed for round 1 and with 30 minute time slots for the remainder. There will be a list of terrible 1950s players who may be used as minutes filler or just to avoid having to pick guys in the final 3 rounds.
The initial draft order will be determined randomly.

Progression

This where we have a slight twist. The second year of the league we will use players from seasons 1980/1981 and 1981/1982. This means you can choose to use either year of your player, even if you already used that season the year before. This will elongate player's careers and also help cover for injuries/missed seasons. This should also help cover for possible minute shortages in the first few seasons. This process will continue.. Each year we move forward 1 year and keep using 2 seasons at a time.

The drafts in all seasons after the first will run in reverse order of regular season record using standard tiebreakers. At the end of the regular season the 5 worst teams and myself as commissioner (unless I am one of the worst teams in which case I will find another owner to enter as well) will enter teams into an exhibition league. The players drafted in this exhibition league must be from the league that season but from any team. The winner of this league will get the first overall pick. The worst team of the 5 competitors will get the 5th pick. If an owner has traded their pick the owner they traded the pick to will play in this league instead. If one of the bottom 5 teams has no owner I will ask an non-competing owner to enter a team for them.

IR
Players with no draftable season can be placed and held on IR until they are available again.

The BIG TWIST

Funny Money Bonus Players

As an anti-tanking incentive each year there will be 3 new bonus players whose WIS careers ended prior to 1979/1980 available for bidding via auction. This list of players will include the top 50 career salary players from this time period... except for WILT CHAMBERLAIN. Wilt is simply too dominant in a progressive format. 

These players are bid for using funny money that is earned by winning! in the league each season. The point values and bidding rules are outlined below.

These players must start play in their rookie season and play straight through season to season as in a traditional progressive. These players cannot be traded and if they are cut at any time they are not put in the draft pool but are returned to the randomizer where they are eligible to return to the league.

No owner may have more than 1 of these players on their roster at a time. 

Owner's do not earn funny money while they have a bonus player on their roster. (Even if the player is on IR that season).

Earning Funny Money

Winning Division - 1$
Making playoffs - 1$
Each win $0.10
Make Finals - $2
Win Championship - $2

Bidding
The bidding process will be very simple. All owner's with at least 15 Funny Money will be listed in descending order of funny money totals in a draft format. The player with the most funny money will get a shot at whatever available player he wants. The tiebreakers for draft order will be 1. Owner who has had the longest gap between bonus players 2. funny money earned last season 3. funny money earned 2 seasons ago 4. funny money earned 3 seasons ago 5. Point differential last season 6. Random

Available Players:
Each season 3 new players will be added to the auction pool. If a player is not bid on then he will remain in the auction pool until he is purchased.
Bid Amount: The minimum bid is 15 funny money. This will mean that owner's will have to play at least 2 seasons before earning a bonus player, and after retiring their bonus player each owner must play at least 2 more years to earn a new one. The cost of each player then is at least 15 but is actually the TOTAL AMOUNT OF FUNNY MONEY the purchasing owner has. This means that if you have 15 funny money or 50 funny money.. the player costs you all of it. Then remember, you do not earn funny money while you have a bonus player on your roster. This is a big commitment!

List of bonus players
Oscar
Robertson
Bill
Russell
John
Havlicek
Walt
Bellamy
Jerry
West
Bob
Pettit
Elgin
Baylor
Nate
Thurmond
Jerry
Lucas
Hal
Greer
Lenny
Wilkens
Dolph
Schayes
Walt
Frazier
Chet
Walker
Bailey
Howell
Dave
DeBusschere
Bob
Cousy
Zelmo
Beaty
Bill
Bridges
Gail
Goodrich
Dave
Bing
Dick
Van Arsdale
Billy
Cunningham
Lou
Hudson
John
Kerr
Louie
Dampier
Paul
Arizin
Willis
Reed
Richie
Guerin
Jack
Twyman
Mel
Daniels
Bob
Boozer
Cliff
Hagan
Dick
Barnett
Larry
Foust
Leroy
Ellis
Happy
Hairston
Johnny
Green
Jerry
Sloan
Norm
Van Lier
Connie
Hawkins
Rudy
Larusso
Bob
Love
Neil
Johnston
Sam
Jones
Guy
Rodgers
Tom
Van Arsdale
Jeff
Mullins
Joe
Caldwell
Ray
Scott

9/10/2013 6:26 PM (edited)
IN:
logain
jcred5
poddy
smokey57
jhsukow
robusk

9/12/2013 2:33 PM (edited)
saved for something I can't think of right now
9/10/2013 4:00 PM
I will check back tonight and see where this gets.
9/10/2013 4:05 PM
Very interesting.  In.  How do you determine the first 3 bonus players?  Is it the discretion of those bidding? Joe has $18 bids Russell, Fred has $17 bids Oscar and Pete has $16 and bids Baylor? 

9/10/2013 5:54 PM
No. They will be randomly picked from the 50 guys.
9/10/2013 5:56 PM
i'm interested/intrigued but not sure if I can commit just yet.  Will make up mind later.
9/10/2013 6:10 PM
fixed an error with the starting year.. it should be 79/80 and 80/81
9/10/2013 6:26 PM
ill join
9/11/2013 5:19 PM
in
9/11/2013 5:57 PM
Ha ha welcome smokey. I did steal the name funny money from you the other day. The idea was mine from a few months back but funny money was stuck in my brain.
9/11/2013 6:20 PM
Does the funny money rollover each year you don't own a bonus player?
9/11/2013 10:56 PM
And do the cut bonus players go back to their rookie year or keep progressing?
9/11/2013 11:02 PM
Yes it buildsnuo year to year until you buy a player
9/12/2013 7:42 AM
Thinking about this only thing don't know if I'm to building a whole new team for draft order if I'm one of the bottom five.  Seems too laborious to me

9/12/2013 9:46 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.