I know this has been brought up previously, but I still can't believe that there are people that like GD better/more than HD.  I was looking at the GD signup page the other day and thought to myself, wtf is this?  GD seemingly doesn't have prestige, the team pages are more convoluted and confusing, and the overall setup/format is just incredibly inferior to that of HD...I still have to tell myself that the company that made HD also made GD.  It's mind boggling to me that they wouldn't use HD as a blueprint/footprint for GD, especially since they're the same form of game, or should be, in terms of recruiting and all the non-simming of game stuff.

I think if GD were modeled after HD from the get go, I probably would  have played GD religiously/consistently like I play HD.

Just took another look, you can't even reserve/look at teams while a current season is ongoing in any world...unreal.

9/13/2013 11:35 PM (edited)
I found the recruiting to be tiresome.  I don't mind recruiting 2-4 players a season but having to get 10 or more is a major pain in my opinion at least.  I was thinking about checking it out but even the diehards there hate the game, lol.
9/13/2013 11:36 PM
I love football but I dnt like the way GD is setup u already have to recruit a ton of players and but then u dnt have fss u have to manually scout them which becomes boring after u do it for over 30 guys. Also I hate how they dnt have prestige like u mentioned I really like being able to see where the team is prestige wise rather then guessing based on the performance it found it fun for a little while but it just became so tetious after a while that I didn't recruit in my last 2 seasons because it was just too much and was not fun so I then just called it quits and focused soley on HD.
9/14/2013 1:09 AM
The funny part is I only started playing HD, because signups were closed for all worlds in GD, so I was just waiting to sign up. I figured if HD was good, GD would be also. Then when I finally signed up for GD, after maybe 5-10 seasons of HD, I couldn't stand it. I couldn't believe how much I disliked it compared to HD, so here I am now after more than 5 years of HD and still won't play the game that originally drew my attention.
9/14/2013 5:36 PM
I quit after three season when I decided to FINALLY make a gameplan. Took me four hours and I accidentally back clicked and lost it all. I said f*** it!
9/14/2013 7:05 PM
I agree with everything said here.  I think about a game like NCAA Football 2004 which I'll still to this day pop in, do a dynasty, recruit and run multiple seasons at a time, getting 20-25 recruits a season, and I enjoy the hell out of it, 10 years later.  GD has NONE of that charm and that's just something that's always somewhat surprised me I guess.
9/14/2013 10:52 PM
GD is a complete clustercuss. Has been since 2.0 was released (in a form so bugged that it never should have seen the light of day). From reading the beta boards, it appears GD 3.0 is well on its way down the same road. NCAA Football or Grey Dog's Bowl Bound is where I get my football simulation fix. I miss the old Playmaker football for the Mac that we used to play the hell out of in college...you didn't recruit, but being able to design and call your own offense/defense /special teams plays was awesome, especially when you had 20 sports obsessed guys on a dorm floor all making teams and playing games against each other every weekend. It's a miracle any of us graduated.

9/14/2013 11:29 PM
i'm pulling myself away from GD personally.  I've lost interest in it and tried the beta and while it seems to be very in-depth, it also seems to be to in-depth to where it would take too long to set everything up and i just dont have the time.  GD will be losing at least 3 players (me, my brother, and a friend of ours are all quitting when 3.0 comes out if not before.. my brother is already down from 3 teams to 1)
9/15/2013 2:04 AM
I'm a GD player first, or was, but now HD gets more attention. The only reason I still play GD is free seasons. 

WIS has destroyed a product that was actually quite enjoyable, although more time consuming. I still enjoy that community and am active over there, but now HD has taken over as my game of choice, since it is in a much more refined state. 
9/15/2013 12:54 PM
I enjoyed GD for a while, but like HD way better. I really did enjoy the GUESS reports from GD, and wish HD had something similar. I just found the recruiting to be tiresome, needing to find so many more players than compared with HD. The game was also severely bugged when I played. No one spent any time practicing IQs, and basically the only way to compete at a high level was by having an exclusively running team. Games essentially came down to who had the better defensive line.
9/15/2013 7:13 PM
Guess reports are done by a user, so that would not be something WIS can change.
9/15/2013 7:17 PM
Im a convert,  I came for GD and played ALOT of seasons over there mostly DIA,. won most all my titles at DIA and built a dynasty at IOWA in Bryant but have lost interest,  I have USC in a beta world to to see hoe much Ill like the new version.  like others have said it still has a lot of problems but may end up being a better product in the end.

I love HDs prestige, scouting, and individualized practice plans but the hate the gap between prestige levels in recruiting (is too much in my opinion), the lack of consistency that sometimes seems to take place in games and the hiring process.  But overall HD is a much better product than GD right now by a pretty good amount 
9/15/2013 11:13 PM
I actually just recently started playing GD full time. I too found it at the beginning confusing, recruiting tiresome, game planning long, etc etc.. So I played one or two seasons and stoppd. But tried it again, and im addicted. I may have come in during 2.0 so I dont really know what it used to be like, but i love GD now. It helps having a solid team tbh. I picked a good one up and now in season 5 there. Lost 2 national championships in 4 seasons, and its left me needing more. I love recruiting now. especially having the yatzr tool to help, wish HD had that! 

All the complaints on this site are the worst thing about the site. I love HD just as much when I started 4 years ago, I love HBD, GD, addicted to them all. FCD too. If WIS ever goes away, there is a good chance id jump off a cliff. There is nothing out there that even compares.
9/16/2013 2:30 AM
Posted by indiansrck27 on 9/16/2013 2:30:00 AM (view original):
I actually just recently started playing GD full time. I too found it at the beginning confusing, recruiting tiresome, game planning long, etc etc.. So I played one or two seasons and stoppd. But tried it again, and im addicted. I may have come in during 2.0 so I dont really know what it used to be like, but i love GD now. It helps having a solid team tbh. I picked a good one up and now in season 5 there. Lost 2 national championships in 4 seasons, and its left me needing more. I love recruiting now. especially having the yatzr tool to help, wish HD had that! 

All the complaints on this site are the worst thing about the site. I love HD just as much when I started 4 years ago, I love HBD, GD, addicted to them all. FCD too. If WIS ever goes away, there is a good chance id jump off a cliff. There is nothing out there that even compares.
just a fyi. there is a yatzr tool for HD.

i bumped it so its now on the 1st page for you :)

9/16/2013 4:01 AM
I've played several of the games on this site for multiple seasons, and HD has been the game I've played the most (it is the only one I currently play and is the most interesting to me right now).

I was never interested in GD for some of the reasons some of you mention here.

Also, it bears mentioning that I have played over 500 games of NCAA Football 2005 on my PS2 (all in dynasty mode...what can I say it was one of the things I did in my spare time during grad school) and find that to be a much more engaging college football "simulation", not only because I get to play the actual games in video game mode (which helps) but also because the recruiting and other aspects of the game are awesome even if you just simulate the whole season (which you can also do).

9/16/2013 11:06 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.