Ok.It's time for Wis to eliminate most GD worlds ! Topic

Posted by bucki22 on 9/23/2013 8:53:00 PM (view original):
How much of the downturn from v1 to v2 was due to the economy at the time (and to this day)? This game doesn't come cheap, especially if you're living week-to-week and on a pretty tight budget like many folks are. I wonder what would happen if WIS lowered it's Gridiron Dynasty cost by a few dollars, maybe to something like $7.95. Perhaps more people might be willing to sign-up. Of course, I'm just talking aloud here. 

A ton of the people that left were playing for free or even getting paid to play(Amazon GC's). I doubt the economy had much of an effect.
9/23/2013 10:31 PM
Yeah I've been in a sort of forum hibernation! LOL I'm still around though. Kicking and screaming and screwing up good programs and stuff.
9/23/2013 10:36 PM
How much of the downturn from v1 to v2 was due to the economy at the time (and to this day)? This game doesn't come cheap, especially if you're living week-to-week and on a pretty tight budget like many folks are. I wonder what would happen if WIS lowered it's Gridiron Dynasty cost by a few dollars, maybe to something like $7.95. Perhaps more people might be willing to sign-up. Of course, I'm just talking aloud here. 

0. The economy doesn't help, but the switch to v.2 was so dramatic, so awful, so un-requested--the product was the problem then, and it still is now, along with some seriously damaged credibility.
9/24/2013 1:22 AM
The worlds are nearly empty for four reasons, in my (not-so) humble opinion:

1) Conte's Inferno (the initial release of 2.0) was so bad - and the way WIS defended it as "working as intended" or worse, our fault that we didn't understand the nuances of the new engine - drove away many.

2) They reduced Reward Points dramatically, which as noted before had been allowing for free play for many, and flat out "profits" for some.  Many of those who could no longer play for free simply quit.  The fact that they implemented this almost at the exact time of Conte's Inferno simply exaggerated the effect of both.

3) Many of the coaches who quit playing because of the above reasons stuck around the forums and viciously attacked the product.  What had been a relatively nurturing place for newbies became an acid bath.  Very few new players stuck around the game.

4) Fox Sports bought WIS.  What should have been a good thing for WIS turned into a disaster.  Fox pulled programmers and other resources to their "name brand" products, leaving GD to fester in a state of disrepair.  WIS is not the red headed step child of Fox - it's the fat nerdy friend of the red headed step child.

9/24/2013 8:06 AM
There were some great threads upon Conte's Inferno release, at least.

And lots of them.
9/24/2013 9:46 AM
3) Many of the coaches who quit playing because of the above reasons stuck around the forums and viciously attacked the product.  What had been a relatively nurturing place for newbies became an acid bath.  Very few new players stuck around the game.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I started (towards the end of 1.0), experienced coaches would mentor newer coaches, and explain how the game really worked. There were a lot of forum friendships built on that. Then, when 2.0 came out and WIS dropped the rewards points, a lot of these same coaches started attacking any players that liked anything about the new engine. Unfortunately, any new coaches at that point didn't know anything about the old engine, so if they didn't like 2.0, they left, and if they did like 2.0, they were labelled as "bad coaches" and harassed until they left. Keep in mind that a lot of the people calling them "bad coaches" were the same people that they had been advised to seek out for mentoring. You used to get good info on the game in the forums, but suddenly any attempt to discuss gameplay in 2.0 resulted in people showing up just to insult other coaches. I had some fairly bad experiences myself ("How do i put this in the nicest way possible?   Scrodz, kindly go f*ck yourself.  Its the incompetent coaches who were never good enough to compete who keep saying they like this new engine bc now they actually have a chance of winning a meaningful game, despite the fact that their team has no business even being on the same field as some of the better teams." or "Every DIII team you've taken over you've failed to make them better and most of the time you made them worse.  The only "success" you've had as a coach is in DII, which we all know is easier than DIII bc DII is a ghost town."), but I'm a bit on the stubborn side...

9/24/2013 9:52 AM
The game was just fine as it was (in 1.0). It is years ago but I dont remember winning teams running the ball 100% of the time with no QB. The game was predictable in the sense that I knew if I recruited talent, and put in a solid gameplan (took advantage of my talent), I had a good shot at winning. Look back at my USF squad in Bryant, I took over a SIMAI team in the heyday of the world and managed to go to a few big bowl games before life got in the way.

There were some aspects of1.0 that did not mirror real life (hockey style line changes on the OL and DL), but there could have been easy fixes to that (like only being able to carry 8 OL). Instead of a little makeup WIFS decided to get full facial reconstrunciton surgery, and butchered what was a good product.

EDIT:

On topic (I may have posted this): If/when 3.0 is ready to roll ALL worlds should be closed down. They should reopen with 4 or 5 worlds and go from there.
9/24/2013 10:30 AM
I started playing GD at some point shortly after 2.0 came out. (January 2011 I think it was)   I never saw 1.0.  I was probably lucky that I also did not really get into the forums or seek out other coaches right away.  It just did not occur to me.  So after a season or two, I started looking around more (because I was getting worse instead of better).  At that point, there was much complaining about the game, but I did not understand the complaints (as has been mentioned above....if you didn't play 1.0, it is hard to understand what you don't have now).

When I saw questions asked in the forums, I saw two basic types of answers:  A)  "Nobody knows that answer and you are a dumbass for thinking there is an answer", and B) "Well, no one really knows, but here is my opinion...or here is what I think I know, or I have collected some data and it appears to be such and such".

Even though answer type B is not direct and maybe not a good answer....it is still helpful in that it makes new coaches feel like they are not alone or a complete idiot.  Answer type A, just reflects the frustrations of the previous coaches who were ****** at WIS/Conte, but drives away new coaches.  So, I think that some of the coaches were as much responsible for lack of new blood as WIS was/is.

I have been lucky to find a few coaches whom I can trade ideas with and learn from.  I try my best to help new coaches in my conferences, and in the forums.  I certainly don't know all there is to know, but I try to caveat that when I answer questions.  There are still lots of things that I don't know/understand about this game.
9/24/2013 10:36 AM
I think because it's hard to give the answers.

I used to answer quite a few questions in the forum, because I knew the answers.  When I last played a few months back, I took over a DIII Team and in my 4th season once I had all my recruited players I won the NC.  I never set a lineup.  I never set a gameplan (SIM default). And I won the championship.

Now... Granted...  My team on paper was much better than the teams that were there...   so yeah I probably should have won.. but in the old game because of things like the above mentioned hockey style stamina substitutions I would have gotten beat.

It's just hard to explain when things like that happen.
9/24/2013 3:33 PM

THE reason people quit playing is because when V2.0 came out, it SUCKED!!!  It's that plain and simple.
9/24/2013 3:52 PM
Posted by bhouska on 9/24/2013 3:52:00 PM (view original):

THE reason people quit playing is because when V2.0 came out, it SUCKED!!!  It's that plain and simple.
I'm not debating that, bhouska. I just don't believe that's the only reason. I would imagine that players actually having to pay for the product made a considerable difference. And if WIS changed the reward points simultaneously with switching to v2, that the specific reason people left could be skewed. Now, this doesn't mean that they decided NOT to pay for the product because it sucked, but still...     

9/24/2013 4:08 PM

It doesn't suck, it is what is. After 6 months we should hope that we could say something for this new POS.
9/24/2013 9:38 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 9/24/2013 8:06:00 AM (view original):
The worlds are nearly empty for four reasons, in my (not-so) humble opinion:

1) Conte's Inferno (the initial release of 2.0) was so bad - and the way WIS defended it as "working as intended" or worse, our fault that we didn't understand the nuances of the new engine - drove away many.

2) They reduced Reward Points dramatically, which as noted before had been allowing for free play for many, and flat out "profits" for some.  Many of those who could no longer play for free simply quit.  The fact that they implemented this almost at the exact time of Conte's Inferno simply exaggerated the effect of both.

4) Fox Sports bought WIS.  What should have been a good thing for WIS turned into a disaster.  Fox pulled programmers and other resources to their "name brand" products, leaving GD to fester in a state of disrepair.  WIS is not the red headed step child of Fox - it's the fat nerdy friend of the red headed step child.

Bob--Point #4 is one that hasn't been raised in some time, and is what I think is the real root of the problem.  When the founders are involved (DS9 flashback, never mind), small businesses are innovative, motivated and will work beyond the normal 9-5.  Unfortunately, what we have seen here is typical of the results after a big buyout.  Sad.
9/25/2013 5:13 PM
Posted by starfinder77 on 9/24/2013 9:38:00 PM (view original):

It doesn't suck, it is what is. After 6 months we should hope that we could say something for this new POS.
Well, you could argue that it doesn't suck now---some would say it sucks less now than it used to.  But when it was first released, v2 was an unplayable atrocity of a game.  No way to control substitutions--multiple pick 6s for quality QBs, 90 yard fumble returns, just a bunch of crazy plays that made no sense at all.  It most certainly did suck.
9/25/2013 5:16 PM
Ok, I joined we'll after it started. To b fair I should have stated now. My bad
9/25/2013 10:07 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Ok.It's time for Wis to eliminate most GD worlds ! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.