Please someone sell the Browns again Topic

Today the Browns traded Trent Richards to the Colts. Yes boys and girls they traded a RB with 17 games under his legs for the Colts #1 pick next year.....oh here's the kicker, Cleveland used the 2012 #3 pick to take him!!
I know Browns backers are going to say he wasn't worth the pick and they needed to get what they could for him....Richardson facts....in 17 games he had 298 carries for 1055 yards and 11 TDs. Oh yes he also caught 58 catches for 400+ yards. So those are not great stats BUT look at these facts...

1. No threat of a passing game! I mean really Josh Cribbs was their best WR.....oh yes Trents 58 catches.....2nd best on the team
2. 900 yards for a rookie RB is damn good.
9/18/2013 11:14 PM
I believe the Browns suddenly realized that the Steelers unexpectedly look to finish last in the AFC North.

And of course, they considered that completely unacceptable.
9/18/2013 11:22 PM
At least Carolina gives me optimism before the suck.
9/19/2013 6:25 AM
It's a bad deal....only because they drafted him last year and #3 overall.   They shouldn't have drafted him so damn high.  They should have traded back in the draft or taken someone else (Claiborne, Barron, Kuechly).  

Cleveland knew they sucked and rumblings are that Richardson wasn't fitting in.  They'll have two 1st rounders, 2 3rd rounders and 2 4th rounds next year.

They will be fighting with Jax for the #1 overall pick next year. 

I do feel bad for Cleveland fans....poor bastards.
9/19/2013 3:12 PM
They aren't doing anything this year, and they likely get a mid-1st rd pick for him.  Good deal, long-term, and they get better at the Bridgewater sweepstakes.  Tough year this year (again) but I get what they're doing.

FWIW, the GM there was not there when Richardson was drafted.
9/19/2013 3:20 PM
the only reason richardson had below average stat last season was A because he played with broken ribs for 16 games and he had 8 man fronts every play, oh and there offensive cordinator is a terrible play caller.
9/19/2013 9:25 PM
Productive running backs are a dime a dozen and have an incredibly short shelf life - so unless you're convinced Richardson is an AP type talent, I like this deal at this point.  Obviously they shouldn't have drafted him #3, but you can't undo that.
9/20/2013 7:07 AM
While I recognize that RB fall off the cliff overnight, I'm not sure productive RB a dime a dozen.    If your team has ever been stuffed 3 times in a row at the 2, you know you need a guy that can find that hole.
9/20/2013 10:47 AM
Dime a dozen was an exaggeration, but in general running backs are pretty replaceable by comparison to other skill position players.  And not that the RB doesn't have something to do with it, but if my team gets stuffed 3 straight times on the 2, I'm looking more at the line or the play calling than the RB most of the time.

We can argue about those details, but the bottom line is unless I'm a present day contender with no ready replacement, I'd rather have a first round pick than a RB I don't consider to be truly elite, because I don't think a RB that is merely solid is really a first round level asset in today's NFL.
9/20/2013 11:06 AM (edited)
I don't think I take one at 3 but late first round RB picks have value.    The entire game starts at the line of scrimmage so, if you're going to give the line credit for a good RB, you better throw some that way for good QB.    A QB is more reliant on others to do their job than RB.    QBs can't pass while sitting under 330 lb DL and the perfect pass is useless if the receiver has hands of stone.    If nothing else, a good RB can turn a 4 yard loss into a 2 yard gain.
9/20/2013 11:28 AM
It comes down to one question, is Teddy Bridgewater so much better than any other QB on the board in the next draft to give away a season for him?

I don't think so.  There is no Andrew Luck on the board, but there are about 6 or 7 QBs that could become NFL starters.
9/20/2013 11:45 AM
I don't think a good RB is entirely about the line, I just think in the specific scenario you described the issue is more likely to be the line than the RB - more likely that there weren't holes than that the RB didn't find them.  And a lot of teams don't even use their primary back in that situation these days anyhow.

Of course the line (and the rest of the offense) is important for the QB as well.  A good line elevates everyone and the opposite is obviously being true.  All things being equal, I think a solid RB is easier to replace than a solid QB (and a number of other positions.)
9/20/2013 11:47 AM
Posted by evil_twin on 9/20/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):
It comes down to one question, is Teddy Bridgewater so much better than any other QB on the board in the next draft to give away a season for him?

I don't think so.  There is no Andrew Luck on the board, but there are about 6 or 7 QBs that could become NFL starters.
Are you saying that the Browns really had a season to give away?  What's their ceiling with Richardson?  6 wins?
9/20/2013 11:48 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 9/20/2013 11:48:00 AM (view original):

Are you saying that the Browns really had a season to give away?  What's their ceiling with Richardson?  6 wins?

The point is, they still get just as good of a QB wherever they would have been selecting.  Now you just pay the same amount of talent more money and have that much less credibility.

9/20/2013 12:01 PM
Posted by evil_twin on 9/20/2013 12:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by AlCheez on 9/20/2013 11:48:00 AM (view original):

The point is, they still get just as good of a QB wherever they would have been selecting.  Now you just pay the same amount of talent more money and have that much less credibility.

Maybe they don't agree - or maybe they do, and having this pick would free them to take another piece at/near the top of the draft and take their QB with the Colts pick?  

Money is hardly a major concern anymore with the new rookie contract rules.  Having a better draft pick is not a negative.
9/20/2013 3:54 PM
123 Next ▸
Please someone sell the Browns again Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.