Poll to WIS about HBD Please vote Topic

HBD may have too many leagues at this point. When supply exceeds demand, you have a problem. But by contracting you reduce the amount of money WIS can make by selling teams, which is their business. They are not going to consent to make less money just because some owners are unhappy that their league doesn't fill in a week. I have had to send numerous sitemails in the past to fill one of the leagues I am in, I like the league and my team and am not wiling to just let it go by the boards. So I take a proactive stance and take it upon myself to try and find new owners. And it's worked in the past. I'm not the commish, but I have an active interest in filling this world. We have 7 openings right now and will probably be able to fill in relatively short order if I do what I have done in the past and aggressively contact many owners in other leagues to see if they are interested in taking on another team. It may **** some owners off to receive sitemails like this, but enough guys have responded positively over the last few seasons to make it worth my while. And I'm sure there are many out there who are happy to see that there are those out there actively promoting their leagues that they are willing to take a chance and join a league with owners who care enough to try and actively recruit new members.
9/24/2013 4:45 PM
It's not that complicated. 

1.  Have a competitive league.   Min Win Rules can help you accomplish this.
2.  Start recruiting before you roll.   The "Rolled yesterday and only need 9!!!" threads crack me up.
3.  Screen owners.  Using a warm body to run an unsuccessful team isn't going to help you next season.

If any of the above doesn't apply to your world, you probably already know it.

9/24/2013 5:12 PM
It's not tough to figure out why each world isn't filling.. 
9/24/2013 5:42 PM
Posted by torrone on 9/24/2013 4:45:00 PM (view original):
HBD may have too many leagues at this point. When supply exceeds demand, you have a problem. But by contracting you reduce the amount of money WIS can make by selling teams, which is their business. They are not going to consent to make less money just because some owners are unhappy that their league doesn't fill in a week. I have had to send numerous sitemails in the past to fill one of the leagues I am in, I like the league and my team and am not wiling to just let it go by the boards. So I take a proactive stance and take it upon myself to try and find new owners. And it's worked in the past. I'm not the commish, but I have an active interest in filling this world. We have 7 openings right now and will probably be able to fill in relatively short order if I do what I have done in the past and aggressively contact many owners in other leagues to see if they are interested in taking on another team. It may **** some owners off to receive sitemails like this, but enough guys have responded positively over the last few seasons to make it worth my while. And I'm sure there are many out there who are happy to see that there are those out there actively promoting their leagues that they are willing to take a chance and join a league with owners who care enough to try and actively recruit new members.
While checking this team in Mattingly that I was thinking about claiming, I noticed that this GUY was signed as an $20M IFA and then released.. When I see weird crap like this I'm a little hesitant on joining.. 
9/24/2013 6:00 PM
"Weird" is insufficient. That's utterly grotesquely corrupt.
9/24/2013 6:20 PM
Not necessarily corrupt.  It's exactly 10 days after the signing... the owner simply failed to assign the IFA, possibly because he left the world, and the guy was automatically released after 10 days.  The fact that the release is in red lets you know it was automatic. 

Now, it shouldn't endear you to a world to discover that owners drop like flies mid-season without rapid replacement.  But it's only collusive if the guy intended to sign the IFA and fail to assign him so the owner with the #1 waiver claim could get him.
9/24/2013 6:56 PM
Ah, I didn't look at the transaction screen... ten days is an auto release, yes... I assumed the waiver scenario.  I see evil everywhere, ya know.

But you're also right, an owner makes a big move to get a player and disappears completely kinda stinks too.

9/24/2013 7:12 PM
Call me cynical but that's exactly what I'd assume.

Of course, I did the major WW moves in MG on Sunday.   The wife walked in and started talking to me.   After she left, I hit "Submit".   For two days I wondered if I'd put my entire team on waivers without the ability to revoke.
9/24/2013 7:13 PM

IOW, people make mistakes.  That's a 10 day mistake.  Hard to buy.

9/24/2013 7:22 PM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 9/24/2013 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/24/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
You'll have to excuse me if I feel like you're talking out the side of your mouth but, a week ago, you inquired about an opening in a world I commish.    Basically, if your world didn't fill soon, you'd be interested in taking a team.   I said "When you know what you're going to do, let me know."    You haven't and your world hasn't filled.    Even worse, two others have confirmed their interest so, at best, you're third on a list that seldom goes that deep.

What, if you believe a world hasn't filled in a week, is holding you back from making a decision?    Maybe you like your team and your world?
Exactly. 

That world went public and they gained 3 "new owners". All accounts created within a 12 day period, and these "new owners" went straight to that world that has been sitting longer than any other. All 3 are STILL there, patiently waiting. Because as a new owner, you know, they just want to try THAT world, and aren't really interested in actually trying the game out ASAP like EVERY OTHER REAL NEW OWNER.

Then after the month of being public and gaining the three aliases, they went back to private and have since lost 3 "real owners". 

You want to talk about aliases? How about you? 16 division titles in 17 seasons. I don't care how long of a time an owner has been around, that is incredible.
9/24/2013 8:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/24/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
You'll have to excuse me if I feel like you're talking out the side of your mouth but, a week ago, you inquired about an opening in a world I commish.    Basically, if your world didn't fill soon, you'd be interested in taking a team.   I said "When you know what you're going to do, let me know."    You haven't and your world hasn't filled.    Even worse, two others have confirmed their interest so, at best, you're third on a list that seldom goes that deep.

What, if you believe a world hasn't filled in a week, is holding you back from making a decision?    Maybe you like your team and your world?
Yes, I inquired about an opening in a world you commish and yes I said I would be interested in taking a team in the event the world I am in did not fill.

You actually said, "As long as you understand the MWR, that's fine. Let me know how things go with JB."

I have not contacted you yet - your world just began the division series today. I noticed you posted the first available team in the classified thread today.

Yes, I am a tad attached to my first HBD team that I have owned for 26 seasons - mostly bad ones I might add. The world has not filled in months - and it won't due to the amount of openings world wide. It should be a poster child for contraction. I'm not a big fan of the merger nonsense the way it is proposed.

9/24/2013 8:49 PM
I wonder what would happen if, just for a change, WIS took an active role for a little while. They might try some really weird sh1t like improve the product, actively market it, offer a few incentives to new AND old owners, incorporate a few items from the "suggestions" forum just to prove "they" listen, and maybe let users know what is going on, if anything, in their shop to help. Maybe some new blood and/or jacking up existing players would improve things. 
9/24/2013 9:13 PM
Stop with the crazy talk.
9/24/2013 9:22 PM
As for the Suggestions forum . . . there really has not been any good suggestions proposed there in quite some time.  Most suggestions fall into one of three categories: (1) silly, meaningless things like "Team of the Week"; (2) things like "individual base stealing settings" that will and should never happen; and (3) whiny suggestions like "more and better DITR's!!!"
9/24/2013 9:27 PM
Except mine. No good suggestions, except mine.
9/24/2013 9:44 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Poll to WIS about HBD Please vote Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.