Fix your *stinking* coach hiring! Topic

I had the top offer on an 85 FI coach, but instead the sim signed a 73 FI coach before the 85 signed with anyone.

I had a higher bid on the 85 FI coach, so I'm a bit confused why it'd force me to sign the guy I was less inclined to hire based on the monetary offer.

Any ideas WIS?
2/6/2015 4:42 PM
Mike can't you agree with someone for once? An owner abandons a team from before budget setting until a new owner takes over on the last day of ST. The Sim auto-hires a 31-rated AAA pitching coach yet there are 4 AAA PCs still available for minimum salary, all with ratings of 59-67.

If an owner abandons a team, any future owner can get essentially punished severely for doing nothing wrong in the sense of bad coaches stunting player development. I don't feel that is right. 

If you don't want to do anything to get a 74 rated coach versus trying to work and get a 77 rated coach, that's your prerogative. I don't think that is a huge advantage for you or your organization compared to the disadvantage of having a coach that is, for all intents and purposes, incompetent at potentially more than one level.
2/6/2015 5:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken it USED to be that way and owners complained that their coach who they fought for and spent  good money on was only marginally better than the guy simmy signed for johnny noshow.

I think it is absurd. They could find a happy medium between the best of the leftovers and the worst coaches out there. 

It certainly does cause unnecessary damage to a team that is likely already in poor shape. 

2/6/2015 5:56 PM
Posted by spudpicker on 2/6/2015 4:42:00 PM (view original):
I had the top offer on an 85 FI coach, but instead the sim signed a 73 FI coach before the 85 signed with anyone.

I had a higher bid on the 85 FI coach, so I'm a bit confused why it'd force me to sign the guy I was less inclined to hire based on the monetary offer.

Any ideas WIS?
Happens every time. 

The reason is that there were likely many owners bidding on the 85 guy, so he is in no hurry to sign. He is waiting out several teams. The 73 guy may have only had 2 interested owners and your offer was significantly better than the other one, so he jumped on it.

It is EXACTLY like real life. If you want to hire a guy and make him an offer, but hedge your bets and send a contract offer to a plan b guy he might just sign the contract before the guy you really wanted gets back to you.
2/6/2015 6:00 PM
Posted by frymaster99 on 2/6/2015 5:35:00 PM (view original):
Mike can't you agree with someone for once? An owner abandons a team from before budget setting until a new owner takes over on the last day of ST. The Sim auto-hires a 31-rated AAA pitching coach yet there are 4 AAA PCs still available for minimum salary, all with ratings of 59-67.

If an owner abandons a team, any future owner can get essentially punished severely for doing nothing wrong in the sense of bad coaches stunting player development. I don't feel that is right. 

If you don't want to do anything to get a 74 rated coach versus trying to work and get a 77 rated coach, that's your prerogative. I don't think that is a huge advantage for you or your organization compared to the disadvantage of having a coach that is, for all intents and purposes, incompetent at potentially more than one level.

I'd agree, you know, if I agreed with what you said.

If I'm going to bid on coaches, and possibly pay top dollar, I sure as hell don't want someone who decides to not bid get better coaches at minimum prices.

Once the "best" coaches are assigned, most of us stop bidding.  

You're talking about a doomsday scenario.   Don't play in worlds where that happens.   You're welcome.

2/6/2015 6:02 PM
Posted by themergerguy on 2/6/2015 5:56:00 PM (view original):
If I'm not mistaken it USED to be that way and owners complained that their coach who they fought for and spent  good money on was only marginally better than the guy simmy signed for johnny noshow.

I think it is absurd. They could find a happy medium between the best of the leftovers and the worst coaches out there. 

It certainly does cause unnecessary damage to a team that is likely already in poor shape. 

If that was the case, I think perhaps those owners should have fought for a top coach instead of an average joe.
2/6/2015 6:02 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2015 6:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by frymaster99 on 2/6/2015 5:35:00 PM (view original):

I'd agree, you know, if I agreed with what you said.

If I'm going to bid on coaches, and possibly pay top dollar, I sure as hell don't want someone who decides to not bid get better coaches at minimum prices.

Once the "best" coaches are assigned, most of us stop bidding.  

You're talking about a doomsday scenario.   Don't play in worlds where that happens.   You're welcome.

How many scenarios in the coach hiring process will you pay top dollar but someone who never bids on a coach ends up with a better coach? I'm going to go ahead and say zero.

And sometimes, when worlds need a replacement owner, it's nice to do the right thing and try to keep the organization treading water rather than let it sink. 
2/6/2015 6:04 PM
I'm not saying give the coach who doesn't do coach hiring a 22 PC when a 68 is available.   I'm saying "If a 68 was actually hired, give the other guy a 67.   Or a 62.  Whatever is next.   Not the 84 that wasn't hired."

What part don't you get?
2/6/2015 6:06 PM
I get it all. We're using different verbage but want the same thing. My middle of the pack is your best after the worst signed. 
2/6/2015 6:09 PM
Maybe not.   If 1-28 are 87 to 53, I don't think 49 is "middle of the pack".   It's "bottom 4". 
2/6/2015 6:14 PM
In this scenario, would you say a 31 PC was deserved since a 59 would've been higher than other franchises who tried?
http://i.imgur.com/keKss9u.png
http://i.imgur.com/F5hQjGz.png
2/6/2015 6:19 PM

Three best available pitching coaches in MG(coach hiring over):

Name Age Exp Prev
Frn
Dmd
Level
Dmd
Role
Dmd
Salary
Interested Franchises Action
Jeff Sheffield * 54 19 DET ML PC $2,340K 4 90 8 10 68 64 23 58 0 Negotiate
Ed Burks 56 27 TRE ML PC $2,160K 7 89 9 9 22 43 36 41 0 Negotiate
Wiki Santana 66 37 BUR ML PC $1,944K 3 89 11 15 50 75 52 40 0 Negotiate

4 worst hired coaches:
Ernest Michalak 35 Sultans ML Pitching Coach $1.7M 9 75 2 20 83 58 48 61
Norm Magee 35 Sinners ML Pitching Coach $600K 10 75 6 16 63 49 95 30
Walter Watson 35 Riots ML Pitching Coach $600K 10 72 3 13 23 55 61 44
Christian Walcutt 35 Disco Demolition ML Pitching Coach $600K 4 72 10 0 66 41 50 83

Let's assume the bottom 3 didn't hire coaches(I'm sure they did but let's play the game).   The Sultans paid 1.7m for a pitching coach.   Should the bottom three have gotten the three best available?

2/6/2015 6:30 PM
No. I thought we agreed it should be the middle of the pack, best after worst hired coach?
2/6/2015 6:38 PM
Posted by frymaster99 on 2/6/2015 6:19:00 PM (view original):
In this scenario, would you say a 31 PC was deserved since a 59 would've been higher than other franchises who tried?
http://i.imgur.com/keKss9u.png
http://i.imgur.com/F5hQjGz.png
So what was this about?   I didn't do the copy/paste but, if we're giving the "next in line" after the highest "effort" coach was 59, then anything higher than 58 is ineligible.
2/6/2015 6:53 PM
I brought those up to see if you would think the 31 PC was justified because it was, technically, the best-rated after the worst-signed coach available.

Although highly unlikely, a happy medium of sorts would be the preferred method.
2/6/2015 6:56 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Fix your *stinking* coach hiring! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.