LT Contract after Arbing Topic

This is probably obvious, but how do you sign a guy to a LT contract after his 4 year in MLB? I'm in the middle of the season, and I can't figure out how to try to avoid arbitration.

Related to the first question (although I'm asking about that in general, as I've always been curious how to do that); would you sign this guy to a long term contract (hopefully only 2 years, as I have guys coming up in that time frame)? How much will he ask for in Arb?
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Felipe Ramirez
10/1/2013 12:46 PM (edited)
You must wait til the beginning of the next season. At that time you can sign him LT rather than arbing him again.

2nd time arb, anywhere between 4-8M has been my experience.
10/1/2013 12:39 PM
There's no reason to ever sign a player mid-season.    A major injury can change his value to you immensely.  Wait til the playoffs.  Demands don't change.
10/1/2013 12:56 PM
Thank you, great advice. Regretably I literally just made that very mistake with signing another pitcher to a 2 year deal like an hour ago. Knock on wood. 
10/1/2013 1:01 PM
18 left and you're not in the hunt.   You don't have to pitch him again.  Especially with roster expansion. 
10/1/2013 1:09 PM
Could you explain how exactly roster expansion works? Does that mean I have to pay them $327,000 this season then? 
10/1/2013 1:11 PM
It's pro-rated(I think, with 18 left, you'll increase your payroll about 30k with each call-up).    As long as they have options, or clear waivers, you can send them down when the season is done. 
10/1/2013 1:16 PM
If I don't demote them until after the world series, then they'll automatically renew at $327,000 next season right? Will getting demoted after my season ends hurt their ratings (i know if you demote during rollover no penalty for instance).
10/1/2013 1:18 PM
343k.   But there's no reason to wait.     Roster expansion players don't take a hit if demoted during the playoffs(assuming they haven't been called up earlier in the season as an injury replacement.  Those are tricky).
10/1/2013 1:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2013 1:23:00 PM (view original):
343k.   But there's no reason to wait.     Roster expansion players don't take a hit if demoted during the playoffs(assuming they haven't been called up earlier in the season as an injury replacement.  Those are tricky).
If you demote a player who was on the ML roster all season, but next season will not need him on the MLB Roster due to callups next season and as such would want to preserve his MLB elgibility and keep in the minors next year, if I demote during the playoffs will that hurt him? Or do I have to wait until roll over? And if so, will he be renewed at the MLB minimum rather than the minor league salary?
10/1/2013 1:39 PM
If you demote during the playoffs, he might take a hit.   Either way, if kept on the 40, he'll renew at 343/360/378k.    If he has options, do it during the pre-season next year.  If not, do it now if he's cleared waivers since you should have used revocable waivers.  The potential hit isn't that big of a deal to a spare part.
10/1/2013 2:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
If you demote during the playoffs, he might take a hit.   Either way, if kept on the 40, he'll renew at 343/360/378k.    If he has options, do it during the pre-season next year.  If not, do it now if he's cleared waivers since you should have used revocable waivers.  The potential hit isn't that big of a deal to a spare part.
I thought the 40 salary was like 78k? Wait so should I wait until the playoffs then designate him for assignment so that he doesn't renew at the MLB salary then? You're  right as a fringe MLBer who may never reach the BL again, I shouldn't care about the demotions hit.
10/1/2013 3:16 PM
There is no "40 man" salary that I know of, except they start getting yearly raises.

You could theoretically wait until pre-season to demote and ensure no demotion hit.
He will get paid 343K or whatever the next 10% raise is for the player in question, however the following season he will revert back to AAA salary. NOT AAA minimum, but FAR LESS than 300K+. While they do get raises every season, it is only a few grand per season. 

Here's an example Sticky Clyburn.

After placing him on the 40 he went up from 55K to 57K, but not until the following season. I called him up to the BL the next season and didn't demote until the following pre-season for exactly the same reason as above. He made 343K that season, then reverted back to AAA money @ 62K the next. He has increased from there as follows: 65K, 68K, 71K, 74K, 77K, 80K, 84K.
10/2/2013 2:47 AM (edited)
"He will get paid 343K or whatever the next 10% raise is for the player in question, however the following season he will revert back to AAA salary."

Does this assume he's off the 40 man roster during rollover?  More specifically does anyone not on the 40 man just renew for whatever level they're at, ie if I have a player making 343k in AAA not on the 40 man will he renew for the AAA salary?
10/2/2013 12:10 PM
Posted by bglick on 10/1/2013 3:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
I thought the 40 salary was like 78k? Wait so should I wait until the playoffs then designate him for assignment so that he doesn't renew at the MLB salary then? You're  right as a fringe MLBer who may never reach the BL again, I shouldn't care about the demotions hit.
I could be mistaken but I thought it was a full season removed from the BL roster before salary reverted back to 57/59/61/etc/etc minor league salary.    Otherwise, we'd manipulate the hell out of payroll.   But I'm not talking about the call-ups.  Just players who rec'd BL salary before roster expansion.
10/2/2013 12:16 PM
12 Next ▸
LT Contract after Arbing Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.