Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

I voted against incumbents.    I was largely unsuccessful in voting any out.    I very well may have voted for every loser but one.

The incumbent was young.   He is a minority.   And he is a Republican.    The fact that he was a young minority is the reason he made the cut.   Old white guys are creating the logjam(along with the President's "We don't negotiate with terrorists or Republicans" policy). 
10/21/2013 1:43 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/19/2013 12:39:00 PM (view original):
That's me as well - socially quite a ways left of center, fiscally quite a ways right of center.  I think universal healthcare is a wonderful idea.  I also think it's batsh*t crazy to create new taxes to pay for it when we have all kinds of potential revenue sitting on the table.  Tax loopholes that can be closed, inefficient government spending (I'm talking about the $200 hammer, not necessarily spending on programs I don't agree with as a whole) and the like.

The difference is in the messaging.  I'm willing to bet that if you asked conservatives "Do you support the general idea that all Americans should have access to affordable healthcare?" the vast majority would say that they do.  They just want to find a reasonable way to pay for it, outside of "take some more from those who have to give to those who don't".  But liberals have done a fantastic job of convincing Americans that conservatives want to deny coverage to Americans.  Hell, the Hillary Clinton for President 2016 Facebook page had a post about all the things the Republicans asked for (and didn't get) during the shutdown.  Three of the items were "deny heathcare coverage to the president and staff, deny healthcare coverage to the cabinet and staff, deny healthcare coverage to congress and staff."  Nobody wanted to deny coverage - they wanted to get rid of the government subsidy.  It would seem that the liberal mindset then is that, if the government isn't providing something (or paying for a chunk of it), that thing isn't available.  The government isn't giving me a subsidy to buy healthcare - they must be denying me access to healthcare as well.
" I also think it's batsh*t crazy to create new taxes to pay for it when we have all kinds of potential revenue sitting on the table.  Tax loopholes that can be closed, inefficient government spending (I'm talking about the $200 hammer, not necessarily spending on programs I don't agree with as a whole) and the like."

This is the part that's really getting me to lean to the right fiscally.  We aren't very efficient when it comes to spending, that much is obvious.  I love the idea of universal health care, but creating new taxes to pay for it does seem off.  And as much as the liberal part of me thinks "Give better opportunities to those less fortunate to succeed, and spend money on programs to do that," I can't help but wonder that so much of that money goes to waste, and whether or not the programs are run properly, and if some of these programs are actually helping society.  My gut is beginning to tell me that it is not.  I would love to dive into each department and see where all the money is going, and cut all the crap that's wasteful.

So if the 2016 republican nominee can somehow be someone who leans left on social issues, and is more right-center on fiscal issues, there's a really good chance I'm voting for him or her.  I'm not sure that person has a shot of getting the nomination, but that's probably my ideal candidate at this point.
10/21/2013 1:53 PM
It will be Christie v. Clinton.  Anything else would be a complete shock (to me).
10/21/2013 2:35 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/21/2013 12:40:00 PM (view original):
He's just trying to figure out where you live.
It's not like your congressional district reveals your address.
10/21/2013 2:39 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 10/21/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
It will be Christie v. Clinton.  Anything else would be a complete shock (to me).
You thing the GOP will nominate Christie?

I don't. I doubt it will be Clinton either.
10/21/2013 2:40 PM
MIKETITTY IS EITHER IN IDAHO OR FLORIDA
10/21/2013 2:41 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/21/2013 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 10/21/2013 2:35:00 PM (view original):
You thing the GOP will nominate Christie?

I don't. I doubt it will be Clinton either.
Christie comes across as the "sane" Republican nominee.  He might not be overall liked by the GOP, but he gives them the best chance of winning.

I would guess Clinton as well.  I also have a feeling Andrew Cuomo would be right there.
10/21/2013 2:43 PM
I would actually strongly consider voting for Christie.
10/21/2013 2:47 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/21/2013 2:47:00 PM (view original):
I would actually strongly consider voting for Christie.
Exactly.  This is why he'll win the nomination.  He doesn't come across the the right-wing crazy person.
10/21/2013 2:48 PM
I think he would have a hell of a good chance in the general election. But I also see guys like Cruz and Paul doing better in the primaries.
10/21/2013 3:18 PM (edited)
Posted by antoncresten on 10/21/2013 2:41:00 PM (view original):
MIKETITTY IS EITHER IN IDAHO OR FLORIDA
South Carolina.
10/21/2013 3:17 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/21/2013 3:18:00 PM (view original):
I think he would have a hell of a good chance in the general election. But I also see guys like Cruz and Paul doing better in the primaries.
LOL if Cruz gets the nomination shame on the GOP.  I don't think either of them stand a chance.  Too many negatives.
10/21/2013 4:06 PM
I'd guess Rubio or Ryan if I had to guess someone other than Christie.
10/21/2013 4:12 PM

HOPE ITS CRUZ, BACHMAN, CAIN, TRUMP OR SANTORUM

LMAO

10/21/2013 4:28 PM
Bachman's hysterical.  I forgot about Trump.  LOL
10/21/2013 4:36 PM
◂ Prev 1...36|37|38|39|40...57 Next ▸
Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.