Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 1:09:00 PM (view original):
My God, you guys are dumb.

Repeal the ACA, and spend the time and money to address/fix the root cause of why healthcare is so much more expensive in the U.S. than in other developed parts of the world.

If healthcare costs are brought under control, the price of healthcare comes down.  If the price of healthcare comes down, then it is more affordable.  Which is the problem that, theoretically, is attempting to be solved.

Shoudl I use smaller words? 
The rest of the world, with single payer systems?

Fine by me.
10/2/2013 1:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2013 1:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 1:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2013 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Semantics.    We are required to purchase a government mandated product(or have proof of similar product) and use said product at facilities where costs are not regulated.    But congrats on playing the game in a way that allows you to skirt around any issue.
No one is required to buy insurance through an exchange.

If you do buy (or have) insurance, you are free to not use it at facilities where costs are not regulated.
Are you saying that we do not have to have insurance?   Assuming you're not(because that's dumb and you obviously missed the part on "proof of similar product" in your haste to be wrong), do you think it's wise to pay for something and not use it?
You don't have to have insurance. The law requires it but if you choose not to purchase it, the penalty is $95 in 2014. And it only applies if the lowest available premium is less than X% of your net income.
10/2/2013 1:20 PM
Posted by genghisxcon on 10/2/2013 1:18:00 PM (view original):

Repeal the ACA, and spend the time and money to address/fix the root cause of why healthcare is so much more expensive in the U.S. than in other developed parts of the world.

If healthcare costs are brought under control, the price of healthcare comes down.  If the price of healthcare comes down, then it is more affordable.  Which is the problem that, theoretically, is attempting to be solved.

The rest of the world, with single payer systems?

Fine by me.
And bingo was his name-o.
10/2/2013 1:20 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 1:16:00 PM (view original):
Semantics.    We are required to purchase a government mandated product(or have proof of similar product) and use said product at facilities where costs are not regulated.    But congrats on playing the game in a way that allows you to skirt around any issue.

If you do buy (or have) insurance, you are free to not use it at facilities where costs are not regulated.
Can you give us the the address of a U.S. hospital where costs are regulated?
Nothing in the ACA requires you to use your insurance, go to a doctor, go to a hospital.

Oh, wait...do you mean you might get sick or injured and need to seek medical care? I guess you will have to go to the hospital where costs aren't regulated if that happens. Good thing the ACA was passed so that you can...wait, you're saying you had health insurance before and would have gone anyway...well, then what does this have to do with the ACA?

Oh, I see.

Nothing.
10/2/2013 1:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2013 12:30:00 PM (view original):
Here's something else:

More people having access to healthcare seems like a good idea.  The right thing to do.    And I have to admit I have a hard time objecting to it.   However, the dirty underside is that people will live longer and require more medical care to maintain life.   Isn't that going to escalate the cost of subsidized healthcare?

I only donate to animal charities and that's a question I ask myself from time to time.    Of course I get the emailed newsletters detailing how they saved a dog that was near death.   Right thing to do.   However, in the next paragraph, they'll ask for foster homes because the facility if overrun with animals needing homes.   They just went to great lengths to save a dog that had hours to live to add to their overpopulated/underfunded facility.     Is that where ACA is headed?
this is some crazy thinking here. ppl are not dogs. ppl living longer is NOT a dirty underside to anything - it is almost entirely a good thing. if the costs rise, so be it. who are you to assign value to someone else's life or health?
10/2/2013 1:32 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 1:20:00 PM (view original):

Are you saying that we do not have to have insurance?   Assuming you're not(because that's dumb and you obviously missed the part on "proof of similar product" in your haste to be wrong), do you think it's wise to pay for something and not use it?
You don't have to have insurance. The law requires it but if you choose not to purchase it, the penalty is $95 in 2014. And it only applies if the lowest available premium is less than X% of your net income.

And the form required with your tax return?    What happens if you don't fill it out?  

10/2/2013 1:32 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 10/2/2013 1:32:00 PM (view original):
Here's something else:

More people having access to healthcare seems like a good idea.  The right thing to do.    And I have to admit I have a hard time objecting to it.   However, the dirty underside is that people will live longer and require more medical care to maintain life.   Isn't that going to escalate the cost of subsidized healthcare?

I only donate to animal charities and that's a question I ask myself from time to time.    Of course I get the emailed newsletters detailing how they saved a dog that was near death.   Right thing to do.   However, in the next paragraph, they'll ask for foster homes because the facility if overrun with animals needing homes.   They just went to great lengths to save a dog that had hours to live to add to their overpopulated/underfunded facility.     Is that where ACA is headed?
this is some crazy thinking here. ppl are not dogs. ppl living longer is NOT a dirty underside to anything - it is almost entirely a good thing. if the costs rise, so be it. who are you to assign value to someone else's life or health?
No, it's not crazy thinking.   It's a simple fact of keeping people around after their expected expiration date.   When costs go up, the funds have to come from somewhere.

I can assign value to anything I want.   Who are you to tell me I can't?
10/2/2013 1:34 PM

or just have universal health care and have the govt tell providers what it will pay (and lets hope its fair, but who knows). if the govt says we will pay X, then the providers get X, not X muliplied many times over like now.
10/2/2013 1:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2013 1:32:00 PM (view original):

And the form required with your tax return?    What happens if you don't fill it out?  

You pay a $95 penalty.
10/2/2013 1:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2013 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Here's something else:

No, it's not crazy thinking.   It's a simple fact of keeping people around after their expected expiration date.   When costs go up, the funds have to come from somewhere.

expected expiration? what a joke. there is no such thing. ppl die when they die, and if they live longer, its almost always a good thing.  and sure assign value to other ppl's lives, just don't expect anyone to take you seriously. you are not the ruler of the world who gets to dictate who lives and who dies, which is pretty much what you are saying you want to do.
10/2/2013 1:37 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 1:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2013 1:32:00 PM (view original):

You pay a $95 penalty.
No form, no refund.    What happens?
10/2/2013 1:38 PM
Are you asking what happens if you don't file a tax return?
10/2/2013 1:39 PM
Posted by shawnfucious on 10/2/2013 1:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/2/2013 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Here's something else:

expected expiration? what a joke. there is no such thing. ppl die when they die, and if they live longer, its almost always a good thing.  and sure assign value to other ppl's lives, just don't expect anyone to take you seriously. you are not the ruler of the world who gets to dictate who lives and who dies, which is pretty much what you are saying you want to do.
"almost always a good thing"?      Define, please. 

I'm overly concerned what you take seriously.    I really, really am. 
10/2/2013 1:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):
Are you asking what happens if you don't file a tax return?
Are you implying that everyone gets a refund?
10/2/2013 1:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/2/2013 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 10/2/2013 1:16:00 PM (view original):

Can you give us the the address of a U.S. hospital where costs are regulated?
Nothing in the ACA requires you to use your insurance, go to a doctor, go to a hospital.

Oh, wait...do you mean you might get sick or injured and need to seek medical care? I guess you will have to go to the hospital where costs aren't regulated if that happens. Good thing the ACA was passed so that you can...wait, you're saying you had health insurance before and would have gone anyway...well, then what does this have to do with the ACA?

Oh, I see.

Nothing.
So, in summary, you're saying:

a)  The underlying healthcare costs were unregulated and out of control before the ACA
b)  The underlying healthcare costs will continue to be unregulated and out of control after the ACA
c)  All is good, nothing to see here.  Move along.
10/2/2013 1:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...57 Next ▸
Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.