Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Posted by moy23 on 10/9/2013 11:26:00 PM (view original):
@bad_luck

it's kinda annoying i point out my benefits HAVE changed for the worse due to the ACA - yet you nitpick that i said HSA instead of FSA rather than actually respond to the context of the post, then that I was wrong on the marginal tax rate rather than responding once again to the context of the that post, and finally when you do sorta respond its with an 'its not a big deal' attitude - it's only a 'few hundred dollars'.

If $700 is no biggie for you feel free to send me a check for that amount? I'll be honest it is a BIG deal for me. I could use it to help pay for the $2300/mo daycare bill so my wife and i can both work to get us in that higher tax bracket... or the $1700/mo mortgage pymt I make of which $500/mo goes right to property taxes.... Or the Student loan payment I have from my MBA that helped me get that higher paying job... Or the 2 car payments I'm making because we needed bigger cars to tote around 2 children... diapers, formula, clothes, etc...

you are most likely right now trying to find a technicality in this post to respond to rather than actually explaining to me how $700 is only a 'few hundred dollars' and its really 'no big deal'. Am I right?
Tax deduction laws change all the time. If a cap on FSAs is the worst thing that comes from the ACA, that isn't a big deal.
10/10/2013 10:19 AM
Once again, the apologist trivializes how this has real negative impact to real people's lives.

Shocking.
10/10/2013 10:26 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/10/2013 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/10/2013 8:43:00 AM (view original):
I wish they'd get rid of income tax altogether.  Sales tax only.   The more you spend, the more you pay in taxes.    After all, who spends more?  The guy making 22k a year or the guy making 83k a year?
You hate retirees.
I hate a lot of people.
10/10/2013 10:28 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/10/2013 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Once again, the apologist trivializes how this has real negative impact to real people's lives.

Shocking.
You must be reading into it wrong.  The TV tells me that liberals are the only ones who care about the 99%.
10/10/2013 10:41 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/10/2013 10:26:00 AM (view original):

Shocking.
Has anyone ever said that there is zero downside to the ACA???

Sure, that sucks. You don't get an automatic tax deduction. If you have medical expenses, you now have to itemize to get the deduction. Oh. *******. Well. If it's not worth it to you to itemize, the money must not be that big of a deal.

10/10/2013 11:11 AM
Of course it doesn't seem like a big deal to you.

On the other hand, if roles were reversed and the ACA was an initiative of the right instead of the left, you no doubt would see it as a huge freakin' deal.
10/10/2013 11:56 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/10/2013 11:56:00 AM (view original):
Of course it doesn't seem like a big deal to you.

On the other hand, if roles were reversed and the ACA was an initiative of the right instead of the left, you no doubt would see it as a huge freakin' deal.
The ACA is an initiative of the right.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2011/10/20/how-a-conservative-think-tank-invented-the-individual-mandate/
10/10/2013 12:11 PM

That article is about the individual mandate, not the entire ACA itself.

But nice try!  Dumbass.

10/10/2013 12:54 PM
The point is that my agreement (in general) with the ACA is not based on what party passed it. I think it's important to take steps towards improving health care. I think the ACA is an improvement.
10/10/2013 1:29 PM

Many people disagree,

Does that make you right, and them (us) wrong?

10/10/2013 1:33 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/10/2013 1:33:00 PM (view original):

Many people disagree,

Does that make you right, and them (us) wrong?

That's a stupid question.

A) By definition a disagreement is each side thinking the other side is wrong. I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong.

B) You already said that the ACA improves access to health care. You just don't like that it doesn't completely solve everything that is wrong with the system.
10/10/2013 1:38 PM
"Improving health care" is not the same as "improving access to healthcare".

The ACA may improve access to healthcare.  But it does nothing to improve healthcare.  Nor to address the economic inefficiences inherent in the system.  Just the opposite, with respect to the latter . . . it throws MORE money into an already economically flawed/broken system.  That's not how you fix problems.
10/10/2013 1:47 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/10/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
"Improving health care" is not the same as "improving access to healthcare".

The ACA may improve access to healthcare.  But it does nothing to improve healthcare.  Nor to address the economic inefficiences inherent in the system.  Just the opposite, with respect to the latter . . . it throws MORE money into an already economically flawed/broken system.  That's not how you fix problems.
I disagree. Are you calling me wrong???

Improving access to health care improves the health care for people who didn't have access before.

It's not designed to fix all of the economic inefficiencies in the system but it does help somewhat. As several people have noted, low priced or subsidized exchanges will push more people out of the private health insurance market and into the exchanges. For health insurance companies to stay viable, they will need to put pressure on hospital pricing. And, really, the only people that can fix the pricing issue are health insurance companies. Individual consumers don't have the access, information, or influence necessary to change anything.
10/10/2013 2:02 PM
That's making a lot of assumptions for the future of health care, don't you think?
10/10/2013 2:10 PM
And we all know how valid and credible his assumptions are. 

Such as when he insisted how corporations will not drop benefits because of the ACA, but when presented with proof that corporations are indeed doing so, he dismisses it as "no big deal".
10/10/2013 2:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...26|27|28|29|30...57 Next ▸
Who would do a better job of running the USA? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.