Are battles all about money? Topic

Posted by vegask on 10/3/2013 11:10:00 AM (view original):
Had the kid locked up then he comes out of nowhere and must've dropped $10k on the kid...

Oh well, I just turned around and offered the guys other recruits who were on the fence guaranteed starting spots on my team....little *****.

Wow.  Sounds to me like a good way to commit mutual suicide just because you took it personally.

Believe me, I've been in that situation.  I still think my D3 program never recovered from having a decent big taken from me a cycle before signings a few seasons ago, but I have to be honest and also admit that the experience taught me a lesson for the future and that the lack of really good bigs in my area was just as much a problem as losing that one kid.

Interestingly, I've been doing better at recruiting once I let go of the personal stuff and realized that if I take my time and don't knee-jerk jumping on kids, I usually end up with good recruits plus a surplus of cash (not always, but more often).  I'm also in my first D1 season now, and I came into it expecting to have recruits taken away -- it's amazing how much difference that makes in attitude.  

Recruiting is gambling: you won't always take the big hands, but if you don't take risks you're more likely to end up with nothing.  I just go into it now figuring that I'm going to lose a lot of the big battles anyway,  but it only takes one or two wins to keep my program going strong.

10/3/2013 2:53 PM
Whats stupid about "poaching" in DIII is that 80% of the time there are other recuits out there that you can get with 3 HVs anyway.   Why battle at all unless you find a special stud?
10/3/2013 4:25 PM
◂ Prev 12
Are battles all about money? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.