D3, Season 69 Topic

Or +11
11/19/2013 5:54 PM
diminishing returns?

i always want to win the rebound battle or turnover battle…. +3 or more would decrease chance of winning rebound battle.  that said, I don't know what I would have done.  he didn't win the title game due to 3 pointers though.  

11/19/2013 6:28 PM
That must be it.  His team hit a ton of threes throughout the year and in the games I checked, teams would play zero or plus one at most against him.  I figured that there must be a reason for it because he was playing seasoned coaches who know what they are doing.  I was just curious because I probably would have used plus three and a 3-2 zone.  Not that I would have won or anything:)
11/19/2013 8:49 PM
End of year stats

Players: skydrive.live.com/redir
Team Offense: skydrive.live.com/redir
Team Defense: skydrive.live.com/redir

11/19/2013 9:15 PM
Posted by bullman17 on 11/19/2013 9:15:00 PM (view original):
End of year stats

So looking at my players and my offense numbers compared to my defense, I think I've found where I need to pay more attention in recruiting....great work putting this together bullman -- one of my favorite posts of every season!
11/20/2013 1:04 AM (edited)
Fairly big coaching loss in Rupp with blapo of Texas Lutheran moving on... I kinda wondered if last season might doom him.  It can be very frustrating to have such a good team and such high hopes and lose so early.

No other major changes that I saw at this point.  We lost 2 coaches so far in University.  Another planning to move on as well, but at least he is staying in Rupp D3.
11/20/2013 9:33 AM
Very cool bullman, thanks again for putting all the stats together.
11/20/2013 10:19 AM
Lost dshook for Simpson and now I am all alone in the Iowa AC!
11/20/2013 2:45 PM
Posted by westcoast22 on 11/20/2013 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Lost dshook for Simpson and now I am all alone in the Iowa AC!
Come join us in the NCAC, westcoast!
11/20/2013 4:46 PM
Posted by bullman17 on 11/19/2013 8:49:00 PM (view original):
That must be it.  His team hit a ton of threes throughout the year and in the games I checked, teams would play zero or plus one at most against him.  I figured that there must be a reason for it because he was playing seasoned coaches who know what they are doing.  I was just curious because I probably would have used plus three and a 3-2 zone.  Not that I would have won or anything:)
Just sort of thinking out loud in response to this.  JDub actually beat Piedmont in non-conf play by 5 (which was probably our best game of the season), and I went back and looked at the boxscore.  They shot an insane 37 3-pointers and made 12 (.324) against our Press(0) defense.  They also shot 16/29 on 2-pointers (.552) and didn't get to the FT line all that much.  My reaction to that is maybe I should've played a 'minus' defense! 

I think sometimes it can be better, when you're facing a team that does A really well, to actually just let them have A and try to take away B.  Like an elite scorer who puts up 20-25 every game.  I frequently just ignore those guys and assume they'll get their 20 points, rather than gameplan around trying to shut them down.  Same could be said for Piedmont's 3-balls.  If you sell out on the perimeter, you might find them only taking 20 3-pointers but bludgeoning you in the paint.
11/20/2013 4:52 PM
Posted by rednu on 11/20/2013 1:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bullman17 on 11/19/2013 9:15:00 PM (view original):
End of year stats

So looking at my players and my offense numbers compared to my defense, I think I've found where I need to pay more attention in recruiting....great work putting this together bullman -- one of my favorite posts of every season!
same here.  my offense was 120 and defense was 10th...

11/21/2013 2:53 AM
Have not looked too in depth yet, but an examination of the top 5percent of schools on offense shows about two thirds using either flex or motion with triangle and fast break balanced for that other third. Of course I have no way of knowing the overall percentage of teams in rupp d3 running each offense, so the above ratio could just mirror the overall ratio in the world (which would still be useful as it would suggest no inherent bias or advantage to a particular offensive set.
11/21/2013 1:24 PM
I have not checked this year, but last year the top 20 or so defenses in points allowed per possession were all press if I remember correctly.  I think it gets skewed a little bit because the press teams overwhelm the lesser competition to a much greater degree than the other defenses.  That is my hope, anyway.
11/21/2013 2:57 PM
NOBODY TILL 640 FOR GORDON!!!!!!
11/23/2013 1:47 PM
340 Offense,
Nowhere in Defense?
Are we THAT bad?
11/23/2013 1:51 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
D3, Season 69 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.