Playoffs, a season early Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2013 9:23:00 AM (view original):

OSU proves, yet again, that they have no business being the NC picture.   Mich State will beat them next week.   My playoffs a week in advance:

FSU
Auburn
Bama
Stanford

Auburn beats Mizzou.   OK beats OK State.   Mich State beats OSU.  Stanford beats ASU.   FWIW, Auburn beat GA on a hail mary and Bama on a 109 yd missed FG return.   Sometimes it's better to be luck than good.   FSU will steamroll them. 

Yep.
12/8/2013 7:01 AM
Posted by moranis on 12/8/2013 12:04:00 AM (view original):
Meyer got totally out coached by Dantonio tonight.  Very disappointing end to the season. 

Looks like Ohio State will take on Clemson in the Orange Bowl (which has the first pick and will almost certainly pick Ohio State).  I'd have much rather gone to the Sugar to play Alabama as that one interests me a lot more, but Clemson should be a win for the Buckeyes. 
This is going to be a good game if it happens
12/8/2013 9:56 AM
Meyer got totally out coached by Dantonio tonight.  Very disappointing end to the season. 

Looks like Ohio State will take on Clemson in the Orange Bowl (which has the first pick and will almost certainly pick Ohio State).  I'd have much rather gone to the Sugar to play Alabama as that one interests me a lot more, but Clemson should be a win for the Buckeyes. 
Clemson will beat the he'll out of the suckeyes. You guys might hope for UCF instead and that game would be close.
12/8/2013 1:01 PM

Depends on which Clemson shows up.   The one that beat GA in the opener was pretty good.  The one that lost to SC was solid except for SIX turnovers.  The one that got shitkicked by FSU was horrible.   The first two will beat OSU.  The third will have OSU fans saying "See?  We had a stumble.  We could have won the Natty!!!!!"

That would be wrong as I think their at 8-10 teams better than OSU but that's what they'd say.

:

12/8/2013 5:33 PM

Dude. You may want a lot of things in life, Alabama in a bowl game is NOT one of them.
12/8/2013 7:51 PM
some intriguing non-BCS bowl matchups

Wisconsin v. South Carolina
Oklahoma St. v. Missouri
Fresno St. v. Southern Cal
Oregon v. Texas

Big Ten and SEC again have 3 games against each other with all in Florida (WI v. SC, LSU v. IA, GA v. NE)

Also it appears that Michigan State would have been the 4th team in the playoff this year, though the room would have been interesting deciding between MSU, Baylor, and Stanford.
12/9/2013 8:29 AM
Holtz and May picked MSU for the 4th spot but May hedged by calling MSU/Baylor as the 4th seed. 

Stanford's loss to Utah cannot be explained but, like SC losing to TN, if they win that game like they should have, the whole picture could be a lot different.  SC would have played Auburn which might have produced a different outcome and Stanford would be in the mix with the other 1 loss teams. 

But, quite honestly, I think the players at Auburn have gotten very proficient at running Malzhan's offense so I doubt SC beats them.   FSU may have trouble and I certainly didn't expect that.
12/9/2013 8:56 AM
The Legends poll and the 16 votes break down as follows for the #4 spot:

Michigan State - 10
Stanford - 3
Missouri - 2
Baylor - 1

Bit surprised to see Missouri get 2 votes.  Bobby Bowden and RC Slocum had those.  RC Slocum also had Auburn at 1 ahead of Florida State, everyone else had FSU and then Auburn and everyone had Bama at 3.
12/9/2013 10:18 AM
I'd forgotten about Woody Hayes punching the Clemson player.

John Belushi did a bit as WH on SNL back in the day.
12/18/2013 4:16 PM
1/1/2014 6:36 PM
Stupid Stanford.    MSU would have deserved the 4th spot. 
1/2/2014 9:40 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/2/2014 9:40:00 AM (view original):
Stupid Stanford.    MSU would have deserved the 4th spot. 
Just coming in here to comment on that.  Looks like MSU would have deserved the 4th spot they would have received.

Big Ten had a mixed day on the whole with Nebraska beating Georgia and the MSU win, but losses by Iowa to LSU and Wisconsin to South Carolina.  All four were excellent close games though.  I was really surprised Iowa hung in there with LSU and they had their opportunities, but just couldn't capitalize enough.  If Ohio State beats Clemson, it would be a good close for the Big Ten even with a losing record overall (though not having Penn State in a bowl game hurt them a bit). 

Surprised by Central Florida and Duke.  I really thought A&M would throttle Duke, but they barely pulled it out with that very late pick 6 for the win.  Central Florida looked damn good against Baylor.  Really earned their spot and definitely helped their cause for next year when the AAC loses its automatic birth (though the AAC will probably be the conference that gets that 6th spot the most).

1/2/2014 10:30 AM
Bowls make it tough to get a good read on a team.    LSU, Nebraska and GA had back-up QBs due to injuries to Mettenberger, Martinez and Murray.    Injuries are injuries so you have to deal with that.   Then you have the guys turning pro.  You have to wonder where their heads are after the long wait between games.  Do they want to leave a lasting impression or are they avoiding injury?   I expected Clowney and Manziel to half-*** it.   Both played hard.  

Nonetheless, the bowl season has been a good one.   Only a handful of stinkers.    The match-ups were well-conceived.
1/2/2014 10:46 AM
BCS is gone next season. What automatic birth?
1/2/2014 10:49 AM
The Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, and Pac 12 all have guaranteed tie-ins to various bowls in the semi-final rotation for their top non-playoff teams, though those won't always be available depending on which bowls are the semis.  SEC and Big 10 champions do actually have a guarantee even in the years that the Rose and Sugar are hosting the semis.
1/2/2014 11:40 AM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...28 Next ▸
Playoffs, a season early Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.