Playoffs, a season early Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2013 12:54:00 PM (view original):
I pretty much give them a pass for Cal.   It's the Buffalo, Florida A&M  and SDSU.   I would even give them one of those, all teams do it, but three was excessive. 
Ohio State was supposed to open the season with Vanderbilt.  Vanderbilt dropped out of the game on October 19, 2012.  OSU filled that slot on November 3rd by adding San Diego St., but choices were limited that late in the scheduling day. 
12/2/2013 1:57 PM
The weak schedule isn't entirely OSU's fault.   But it is a weak schedule.
12/2/2013 2:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/2/2013 2:51:00 PM (view original):
The weak schedule isn't entirely OSU's fault.   But it is a weak schedule.
61st according to Sagarin.  Actually better than Florida State at 66th.  Auburn at 26th so certainly better but it isn't like they ran a gauntlet. 

I get that FSU has looked more dominant, but FSU played Clemson and whole bunch of crap and no one talks about how weak their schedule was.  The ACC is a much weaker conference than the Big Ten is on the whole and FSU's non-con was garbage especially with Florida being so bad (the other 3 were Nevada, Bethune-Cookman, and Idaho). 

It just seems silly that OSU gets so much crap while FSU gets none when it played a worse schedule (which will be compounded even more when OSU adds MSU while FSU just adds Duke). 
12/2/2013 3:01 PM
FSU actually falls into the same category but, as you said, the difference is they've shitkicked everybody.    And Clemson mostly shitkicked the same teams(obviously losing to two top 10 teams).    Like Cal, Florida wasn't expected to stink out loud but FSU's other three are the same level as OSU's non-cons.
12/2/2013 3:21 PM

FSU played undefeated Clemson on the road and beat the crap out of them.
FSU played undefeated Miami at home and beat the crap out of them.

OSU played nobody.
12/2/2013 5:23 PM
FSU has one "quality" win.    Over Clemson.

Miami falls into Northwestern territory.    A fraud that got exposed.

OSU has one "quality" win.   Over Wisconsin.

But, as I said, FSU shitkicked the scrubs.   OSU struggled far too often against them.  Not that it matters, IMO, because MichState will beat them this weekend.
12/2/2013 7:09 PM
Does Alabama get a rematch if Auburn wins over Mizzou and Duke and MSU pull off upsets?
12/2/2013 9:44 PM
I point those games out because they were highly hyped and watched games due to the undefeated vs undefeated angle. People watched FSU come to play and blow the other team out.
12/2/2013 9:47 PM

Northwestern was undefeated when they faced OSU.   Highly hyped and watched.  Wisconsin had a 2 point loss to top 10 team on it's record when they faced OSU.

I'd argue that Clemson and Wisconsin are quite similar.   Both lost two games to top 10 teams.   WI does have the loss to PSU that cannot be explained.

12/3/2013 6:34 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/3/2013 6:34:00 AM (view original):

Northwestern was undefeated when they faced OSU.   Highly hyped and watched.  Wisconsin had a 2 point loss to top 10 team on it's record when they faced OSU.

I'd argue that Clemson and Wisconsin are quite similar.   Both lost two games to top 10 teams.   WI does have the loss to PSU that cannot be explained.

Yep and Wisconsin "lost" to Arizona State on the horrible officiating call (which has been acknowledged as being missed and for which the refs were sanctioned) which shafted Wisconsin out of a game winning FG attempt.

Don't get me wrong I get that FSU has crushed everyone, which does separate them from OSU, but people acting like FSU has played this great schedule are just being silly as it is the worst schedule of any team in the top ten.  Heck I think only Northern Illinois, Central Florida, Louisville, and Fresno State have played worse schedules of any team in the top 25. 

With FSU it is a beauty contest not an "earned" honor.
12/3/2013 8:12 AM
Well, I wouldn't say "only in Alabama".    There was a beating death in KC after the Broncos game.
12/3/2013 8:38 AM
Posted by moranis on 12/3/2013 8:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/3/2013 6:34:00 AM (view original):

Yep and Wisconsin "lost" to Arizona State on the horrible officiating call (which has been acknowledged as being missed and for which the refs were sanctioned) which shafted Wisconsin out of a game winning FG attempt.

Don't get me wrong I get that FSU has crushed everyone, which does separate them from OSU, but people acting like FSU has played this great schedule are just being silly as it is the worst schedule of any team in the top ten.  Heck I think only Northern Illinois, Central Florida, Louisville, and Fresno State have played worse schedules of any team in the top 25. 

With FSU it is a beauty contest not an "earned" honor.
Yeah, I feel kind of dirty in defending OSU but the B1G and the ACC are quite similar top to bottom.   So, if you played an ACC/B1G schedule, you probably didn't play much if your non-con was weak.   

That said, FSU in the Natty makes perfect sense while arguments can be made to keep OSU out.   
12/3/2013 8:41 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/3/2013 8:38:00 AM (view original):
Well, I wouldn't say "only in Alabama".    There was a beating death in KC after the Broncos game.
I get that there are nut jobs everywhere that will beat a fan of a rival team to death (and not just football, the dodgers/giants have had that issue for years), but shooting a fan of your own team because they aren't sad enough after a loss is a new one on me.
12/3/2013 9:02 AM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...28 Next ▸
Playoffs, a season early Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.