Playoffs, a season early Topic

Posted by moranis on 10/15/2013 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/14/2013 4:24:00 PM (view original):

OSU will have a tough time hanging onto the 4th spot all season.

Ohio State (if unbeaten) will easily finish in the top 4 because there won't be more than 3 other unbeatens ahead of them (Louisville/Houston, Fresno St, or Northern Illinois would finish behind them and I suspect Texas Tech and quite possibly Baylor would as well) and they will finish ahead of a 1 loss team.  Now sure they need some help to finish in the top 2 with their schedule, but top 4 wouldn't be a problem.
So the auto-berth if unbeaten only applies to Ohio State?
10/26/2013 2:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 10/15/2013 4:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/14/2013 4:24:00 PM (view original):

OSU will have a tough time hanging onto the 4th spot all season.

Ohio State (if unbeaten) will easily finish in the top 4 because there won't be more than 3 other unbeatens ahead of them (Louisville/Houston, Fresno St, or Northern Illinois would finish behind them and I suspect Texas Tech and quite possibly Baylor would as well) and they will finish ahead of a 1 loss team.  Now sure they need some help to finish in the top 2 with their schedule, but top 4 wouldn't be a problem.
So the auto-berth if unbeaten only applies to Ohio State?
I didn't say that either douchebag.
10/26/2013 5:24 PM
Texas Tech and Missouri both blew their chance to be in my Top 4. So the teams stay the same but I'm moving Oregon to the #1 spot.

1) Oregon
2) Alabama
3) Florida St
4) Ohio St

5-9 in no particular order are Miami, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Auburn

10/26/2013 11:27 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Looks like OSU woke up.   I'm struggling with #4 now as Baylor, Stanford and OSU could all be worthy.  I'll give it to Baylor for now as I think they can score with anyone.

Oregon vs. Baylor
Bama vs. FSU

10/27/2013 8:11 AM
Miami looked like ****.  I think FSU is going to expose them. 
10/27/2013 8:12 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 10/26/2013 11:27:00 PM (view original):
Texas Tech and Missouri both blew their chance to be in my Top 4. So the teams stay the same but I'm moving Oregon to the #1 spot.

1) Oregon
2) Alabama
3) Florida St
4) Ohio St

5-9 in no particular order are Miami, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Auburn

Just curious as to why Auburn over Missouri?  Just because Missouri just lost or something else?
10/27/2013 10:50 AM
They lost at home. That's a huge negative in my eyes.
10/27/2013 11:06 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 10/27/2013 11:06:00 AM (view original):
They lost at home. That's a huge negative in my eyes.
fair enough.  I just wasn't sure I mean it was 2OT and Auburn's loss, while on the road, wasn't that close.  Both of their schedules are pretty similar so I was just wondering.  Frankly if I was ranking them I'm not sure who I would have higher at this point any way.
10/27/2013 11:19 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/27/2013 8:11:00 AM (view original):
Looks like OSU woke up.   I'm struggling with #4 now as Baylor, Stanford and OSU could all be worthy.  I'll give it to Baylor for now as I think they can score with anyone.

Oregon vs. Baylor
Bama vs. FSU

The problem with Baylor at this point in the season is that their best win is either Buffalo or Kansas State (who held them to 35 points and lost by just 10).  You want to talk about a weak schedule, that is Baylor.  4 of their last 5 games are against solid competition including their next game against Oklahoma so we should get a picture as to them, but I have a hard time gauging Baylor at this point.  Are they just scoring a ton because they are playing weak competition, or are they really just that good.  I have absolutely no idea.
10/27/2013 11:23 AM
Baylor moves to 5 in the AP followed by Stanford and Miami.
10/27/2013 2:44 PM
BCS Standings - Seems about right to me

1. Bama
2. Oregon
3. FSU
4. OSU
5. Stanford
6. Baylor
7. Miami
8. Clemson
9. Missouri
10. Oklahoma
11. Auburn
12. A&M
13. LSU
14. S. Carolina
15. T. Tech

Baylor will get a big computer boost over the end of the year (but not enough to catch any team ahead of it) and will move ahead of the Stanford/Oregon loser, but otherwise the top 5 won't change without losses (FSU could possibly move back ahead of Oregon after Miami, but Oregon would move back ahead after Stanford, OSU, and UCLA).

What would be very interesting is if Stanford beats Oregon and Miami beats Florida State.  That would cause quite a chaotic situation, though I do think the voters would put OSU at #2 which would be enough for them to play Alabama (even with a weaker schedule on the whole).
10/28/2013 9:48 AM
The problem I have with OSU in a proposed playoff for this year is that I don't think they have a "hook".    Bama, Stanford could just line up and punch you in the face for 60 minutes.  Baylor, Oregon could just light up the scoreboard all day.  FSU seems to be the most balanced.    I just don't think OSU could keep up with the other 5 in whatever style of play that would happen.

Mizzou is way overrated.    Cupcake schedule and victories over the walking wounded in GA/FL.    If SC's RB had been able to hold onto the ball or Thompson hadn't overthrown every open receiver, that game is a blowout.   I'd also argue that Clemson/Miami are overrated but somebody has to fill out the top 10. 
10/28/2013 10:55 AM
With Hyde and a healthy Miller, I think the OSU is finally starting to click and you could see that in what they did to Penn State.  Now granted this isn't the Penn State of old, but OSU did outscore all of PSU's opponents by about 20 and the Bucks held them to 9 fewer points than any other team.  I will be interested to see if they keep that  sort of momentum up, but Miller actually looked healthy for the first time since he hurt his knee and Hyde is finally in playing shape.  I don't think they beat Alabama (of course I don't think anyone beats them), but I think they would be in the game with every team in the country (including Alabama).
10/28/2013 5:00 PM
PSU has kind of been all over the place but that's the best I've seen from OSU.   They're at least in the conversation, IMO, of top 4 now.
10/28/2013 5:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...28 Next ▸
Playoffs, a season early Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.