Playoffs, a season early Topic

FSU opens as 21 pt favs over Miami.

Damn.
10/29/2013 12:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/29/2013 12:11:00 PM (view original):
FSU opens as 21 pt favs over Miami.

Damn.
not really that surprising given how they have looked lately.
10/29/2013 2:05 PM
Not really but, if that's indicative of their ability, why the hell are they #7?

And, yes, that's a rhetorical question.  They're undefeated.   I fear that's going to be a problem going forward with the playoffs.  "Undefeated?   Gotta give 'em a chance!!!!"
10/29/2013 2:30 PM
I think you would be hard pressed to keep an undefeated team from one of the big 5 conferences out (assuming the big 5 conferences all pretty much remain that way).  Pretty much the nature of the beast.
10/30/2013 2:53 PM
Was watching CFB daily last night.    I forget who "The "Experts" were last night but all three went straight BCS for a playoff this season.   At which time the host asked "It appears that the BCS has gotten the top 4 right for years on end, and you seem to agree, so why go thru the process of a multi-person panel in the future?"

That's sort of my thinking.    If you going to give auto-berths to undefeateds in the power conferences, what's the point of a playoff?       You can't tell me, every season from now until eternity, that 4 undefeated teams in the power conferences are always going to be the "best" or "most deserving".    IF SC/Mizzou beats Bama in the SEC championship, there is no undefeated in the SEC.    Oregon, FSU/Miami, OSU and Baylor could go undefeated.    Leaving out a team that loses in the conference championship, especially the SEC, seems blatantly ******.
10/30/2013 3:32 PM
I think you're grappling at something that would have a very, very meager chance of happening. In the BCS era there's been once where there were three undefeated teams had serious backing of being in the BCS Championship (Auburn, USC, OU).

It seems to happen every season around this time where there's the "OMG what if ridiculous amounts of teams go undefeated". Then the upsets happen.
10/30/2013 9:08 PM
Exactly - it's worrying about the extreme outlier.  I'd guess we're considerably more likely to go from "now till eternity" ("eternity" being the life of this initial playoff system) without ever having 4 undefeated teams from the power conferences than not.  (Of course, watch it happen in the first year now, hell, watch all 5 conferences put up undefeated champions...)

And even still - the Big 12 is the only major conference that doesn't have a conference championship game.  I get the argument in the case of the SEC, but in general, why would leaving out a team that lost a conference title game be so inherently wrong?  3 of those teams would have WON conference title games.

10/30/2013 10:01 PM (edited)
Teams have off games.    It's not a single elimination regular season with a playoff at the end. 
10/30/2013 10:01 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/30/2013 10:01:00 PM (view original):
Teams have off games.    It's not a single elimination regular season with a playoff at the end. 
True, but I'm not entirely sure why that makes leaving out a team that had an off game in favor of 4 that didn't (or at least managed to win on their off games) "inherently ******."
10/30/2013 10:03 PM
Especially since the scenario you describe is likely to never happen.
10/30/2013 10:07 PM
The objective, I felt, was to put the 4 best teams in a playoff.    FSU loses on a blocked punt and a tipped ball in the ACC championship.  Out?
10/30/2013 10:08 PM
Stanford kicks the **** out of Oregon.  Oregon out?
10/30/2013 10:27 PM
From what I've seen, this season, any playoff that doesn't include FSU, Oregon and Bama is a sham.   Of course, one or more could implode over the next month but, if they don't, there's no one who should jump into the top 3.
10/30/2013 10:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/30/2013 10:08:00 PM (view original):
The objective, I felt, was to put the 4 best teams in a playoff.    FSU loses on a blocked punt and a tipped ball in the ACC championship.  Out?
I keep telling you that is not the case.  The objective is to get the 4 most deserving teams based on the season.  That is not the same thing as the 4 best teams.  It is a simple concept that you just can't seem to grasp.  That is the same for every single playoff system that exists.  It is why college basketball includes the smaller conference champions, it is why if you win your division you make the playoffs in every professional sport (even if your record otherwise wouldn't indicate you should be there), and on and on.  Playoffs are about getting the most "deserving" teams into them.  Ideally the most deserving will be the best, but that often is not the case.
10/31/2013 8:04 AM
I don't think you know the true objective.   To make the most money.   The best way to do that?   Put the "big" schools in.  Everyone says "I'd like a Cinderella story!!"   Well, the CBB TV ratings don't bear that out.    Kentucky/UNC outdraws Butler/Gonzaga every time.  OSU vs Bama gets a monster number.   Stanford vs. Baylor might as well be shown on tape delay. 

And, essentially, that's what everyone in this thread is saying.    "Undefeated teams in the Big 5 conferences get an auto-berth."  

Is that the "right" way to do things?   I argue "no".
10/31/2013 8:19 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...28 Next ▸
Playoffs, a season early Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.