I sometimes get dramatic when I lose in the CT Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/15/2013 2:31:00 PM (view original):
1. Morgan did have a good game.   He took 25% of your teams shots and shot 50% (55% from inside the ARC).  What were you expecting?  The A in IQ was going to limit his fouls.  

2. The SF on the Center experiment really hurt you.   Your SF didn't play good defense  and you got killed on the boards.   I've tried doing things like that in the past as well and it rarely works.   I suspect the the SB rating is more important than you (and I) think it is for interior defense.  If I had to guess the interior defensive score is something like (DEF*2 + ATH+ SB) with IQ thrown in there somehow.   Martz is the better interior defender in my opinion, by a significant margin.

I thought Morgan would just DESTROY that PG. Utterly destroy him. The whole Rothman-on-Brewer thing was almost an afterthought I had. I debated whether to put Martz or Rothman on him, but Rothman's so high defensively, and I wanted the SF matchup for Martz that I went the way I did with it. Sounds like I outsmarted myself. Still, the frustration that comes with banging your head against the conference tournament wall season after season after season is just really starting to overwhelm the enjoyment I get from recruiting and constructing a good team. Seems like I never get that one break I need to get over the hump in the CT.
10/15/2013 5:23 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 10/15/2013 1:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bbunch on 10/15/2013 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wildcat98 on 10/15/2013 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thinair on 10/15/2013 12:15:00 PM (view original):
Sorry you are finding the game so frustrating. May I ask what your reasoning behind your starting lineup is? I'm not being a d***, I'm just curious. When I see a curious lineup I always try to ask the coach what they were thinking. EX: Martz at sf....Rothman at C. 

Wait 24 hours and you'll be fine. 
That lineup was a one-off thing. His best player is his C, who is only 6'6. My best defender is Rothman, who is 6'5. So I started Rothman at C. I slid Padillo (normal starting C) to PF, and Martz (normal starting PF) to SF, where he has a guy that I felt Martz could play well against.
OK. Something that can help here......Height does not matter in the game at all. It has absolutely no effect on the game, so you shouldn't gameplan around it. 
That wasn't the reason I did it. The reason I did it is that he's easily my best defender, and seemed like my best chance at getting ORU's C off his game. His PG, despite the scoring average, is not very good, and didn't worry me much. I switched Morgan (my best G) to PG, to get that matchup, and loaded him up on the distro. For some reason, he didn't go nuts like I felt like he should have. That PG is really bad, both athletically and on DEF. I have no idea why Morgan didn't just eat him alive.
No offense, but I don't understand how you can list a player's height, then say you didn't gameplan based on their height.

I have no idea whether any of my players are 7 feet tall or 5 feet tall and I'd imagine hardly anyone even glances at their player's heights.
10/15/2013 5:47 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 10/15/2013 5:47:00 PM (view original):
Sorry you are finding the game so frustrating. May I ask what your reasoning behind your starting lineup is? I'm not being a d***, I'm just curious. When I see a curious lineup I always try to ask the coach what they were thinking. EX: Martz at sf....Rothman at C. 

That lineup was a one-off thing. His best player is his C, who is only 6'6. My best defender is Rothman, who is 6'5. So I started Rothman at C. I slid Padillo (normal starting C) to PF, and Martz (normal starting PF) to SF, where he has a guy that I felt Martz could play well against.
OK. Something that can help here......Height does not matter in the game at all. It has absolutely no effect on the game, so you shouldn't gameplan around it. 
That wasn't the reason I did it. The reason I did it is that he's easily my best defender, and seemed like my best chance at getting ORU's C off his game. His PG, despite the scoring average, is not very good, and didn't worry me much. I switched Morgan (my best G) to PG, to get that matchup, and loaded him up on the distro. For some reason, he didn't go nuts like I felt like he should have. That PG is really bad, both athletically and on DEF. I have no idea why Morgan didn't just eat him alive.
No offense, but I don't understand how you can list a player's height, then say you didn't gameplan based on their height.

I have no idea whether any of my players are 7 feet tall or 5 feet tall and I'd imagine hardly anyone even glances at their player's heights.
I'll admit I'm happy if my C is 7 feet, but I know it means absolutely nothing to the game.  I just notice during recruiting though, once they're on the team it's just ratings and how it fits in where I want to play them.
10/15/2013 6:01 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 10/15/2013 5:47:00 PM (view original):

I listed his height because I noticed--after I had already begun thinking about using Rothman on him--that they were basically the exact same height and weight. But that wasn't the reason I chose to use Rothman on him. I chose to use Rothman on him because Rothman is a very good defender.
10/15/2013 6:38 PM
Wildcat join the horizon where we hope to be building up the league. Give it another shot with us.
10/15/2013 7:38 PM
Posted by wildcat98 on 10/15/2013 5:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 10/15/2013 2:31:00 PM (view original):
1. Morgan did have a good game.   He took 25% of your teams shots and shot 50% (55% from inside the ARC).  What were you expecting?  The A in IQ was going to limit his fouls.  

2. The SF on the Center experiment really hurt you.   Your SF didn't play good defense  and you got killed on the boards.   I've tried doing things like that in the past as well and it rarely works.   I suspect the the SB rating is more important than you (and I) think it is for interior defense.  If I had to guess the interior defensive score is something like (DEF*2 + ATH+ SB) with IQ thrown in there somehow.   Martz is the better interior defender in my opinion, by a significant margin.

I thought Morgan would just DESTROY that PG. Utterly destroy him. The whole Rothman-on-Brewer thing was almost an afterthought I had. I debated whether to put Martz or Rothman on him, but Rothman's so high defensively, and I wanted the SF matchup for Martz that I went the way I did with it. Sounds like I outsmarted myself. Still, the frustration that comes with banging your head against the conference tournament wall season after season after season is just really starting to overwhelm the enjoyment I get from recruiting and constructing a good team. Seems like I never get that one break I need to get over the hump in the CT.
No Division 1 PG is going to get utterly destroyed by an opposing PG with 65 speed, it's just not going to happen.  

EDIT: I do agree you made the right move, I just think your expectations were too high.  
10/15/2013 8:34 PM
My thinking was that Morgan is twice as athletic, and that PG was just brutally terrible defensively. We're talking in the 30s. I don't think I was crazy to expect Morgan to dominate him, unless I'm just completely overestimating the value of athleticism and defense.
10/15/2013 8:38 PM
Speed accounts for a lot at PG and his guy had a huge advantage.  Is the guy really bad defensively?  Yes, but with such a huge speed advantage it is able to curb that huge advantage slightly.  
10/15/2013 8:46 PM
Posted by tkimble on 10/15/2013 8:46:00 PM (view original):
Speed accounts for a lot at PG and his guy had a huge advantage.  Is the guy really bad defensively?  Yes, but with such a huge speed advantage it is able to curb that huge advantage slightly.  
I guess so. Otherwise, I can't figure out how Morgan didn't drop 40 points on that guy's head.
10/15/2013 8:50 PM
How often do you see forty point games at all, much less just EXPECTING one? His previous high on the season was 25. Isn't expecting forty when he hasn't reached thirty all season a bit much?
10/15/2013 10:12 PM (edited)
Incidentally, the two players shared 25 minutes on the court at the same time, during which Morgan scored 16 points.
10/15/2013 10:44 PM
As long as people keep giving this much attention to these "WAH, I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME!" threads, we'll have to keep seeing them.
10/16/2013 1:13 AM
Posted by a_in_the_b on 10/15/2013 10:44:00 PM (view original):
Incidentally, the two players shared 25 minutes on the court at the same time, during which Morgan scored 16 points.
Where did you find that stat? That kind of... "granular" data could be really useful.
10/16/2013 2:04 AM
For the record, I'm not mad at ANYTHING in the game. I've made my peace with the sim engine, quirks and all, and I don't feel like Campbell was "snubbed" for the NT. It's just got to a point where the frustration level of getting right to the edge of making it to that "next level" and not getting over the hump is outweighing the fun I have in some of the other aspects of the game.
10/16/2013 2:06 AM
Posted by wildcat98 on 10/16/2013 2:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by a_in_the_b on 10/15/2013 10:44:00 PM (view original):
Where did you find that stat? That kind of... "granular" data could be really useful.
That info isn't readily available. You have to deduce it yourself by reading the play-by-play.

If it helps, he would've scored 27 pts. if both players had played 40 minutes.  So your game plan was pretty good. 
10/16/2013 5:28 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
I sometimes get dramatic when I lose in the CT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.