Posted by micki on 10/30/2013 1:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by boogerlips on 10/22/2013 1:36:00 AM (view original):

the mr. holypants types that never veto any trades so that everyone will like them

I never veto any trades. Do you like me ?
yes! :) 
10/30/2013 3:59 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
And with that last post, it seems this thread has gone full circle since my first post.  Owners who go AWOL. 
11/1/2013 2:29 PM
Posted by schwarze on 11/1/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
And with that last post, it seems this thread has gone full circle since my first post.  Owners who go AWOL. 
Well, it's just miserable that someone can take the time to sign up for one of your leagues and then not respond in any way, shape or form. Not even bother to open a smail even. If I take the time to read your classified ad, decide to sign up and post that I'll take a team, I am darn sure going to play in your league unless something drastic happens. Even then, I'm going to be decent enough to let you know that something drastic happened if I can't play.

This just makes me not want to create theme leagues or progressives. It's not worth the hassle...
11/4/2013 10:20 AM
Leagues that never fill up...how can I get out of the one I am in? 1
11/6/2013 9:18 PM
Bad customer service from WIS.
11/6/2013 10:06 PM
Clicking a story on the internet then having to click on other links just to read more of the story.

Dealing with advertisements when trying to read about something.... How much more time will pass till they don't have a mute button or the ability to scroll down the page in order to avoid an advertisement?
11/8/2013 2:45 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 10/16/2013 10:45:00 AM (view original):
That space of time, usually around a week, between the second last owner entering his team and the last owner entering his.  To add salt to the peeve, that last owner rarely apologizes for, or even acknowledges, his tardiness. 

Call it "24th Owner Syndrome."
7 years later and this still peevin' peeves me! Like, right now!

But I'll add a fresh peeve so you can't say you clicked on this thread and got nothing but reruns:

Had a mopup come into a game yesterday, his first appearance of the season, we were getting blown out, and he pitched 2.1 pointless perfect innings. Later in the season there will inevitably come an extra inning game where he's our last available pitcher, it'll be a tie score in the 12th of 15th or 18th inning, and he won't get anyone out, not even 2018 Chris Davis. Guaranteed!
7/12/2020 4:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
13. the amount of inside-the-park homers, homers off the foul pole, and steals of home vs D- armed catchers
7/13/2020 7:43 AM
I have one. How come in this WIS SIM?.................every time the SIM "employs" a Hit and Run "event" it's ALWAYS with 2 strikes on the batter!!??

That's just stupid!! NO MANAGER waits and then always (and ONLY) decides to Hit and Run with 2 strikes on the batter!
I would NEVER (almost never!) in R/L baseball decide to hit and run with 2 strikes!! It can lead to strike 'em out/throw 'em out DP's----------which IT DOES ALL THE TIME here on the SIM! Every Hit and Run play here on this WIS SIM either works fine, or leads to a strike 'em out/throw 'em out DP!

It's as IF the SIM ONLY does a Hit and Run call with 2 strikes on the batter and NO R/L Manager would EVER be that predictable AND STUPID!
You don't Hit and Run with 2 strikes!! It's basic baseball logic!
7/13/2020 8:55 AM
Agree wholeheartedly with Thunder1008 and his #9. Ninth inning comebacks/blown leads border on being ridiculous and damage the credibility of the game. I ‘m quite sure it all balances out but while 6 or more run innings are rare they seem to be much more commonplace in the 8th or 9th inning.

7/13/2020 2:28 PM
Posted by thunder1008 on 7/13/2020 3:10:00 AM (view original):
Since Nick was kind enough to revive this thread, I'll add my Top 10 SIM pet peeves --

1. SIM injuring a player in a playoff series when his fatigue rating is 90% or higher. C'mon. Had it happen to me twice, once costing me a playoff game and the other time the entire playoff series when my ace was "injured" in the 1st inning of Game 7 while pitching at 91%. My mop dutifully trotted in to blow the game. I also saw it happen to one of my playoff opponents once, costing him the series, and it peeved me almost as much.

2. Having a player ejected for arguing in a playoff series, same deal as above.

3. Owners complaining about the same thing over and over for years -- how the SIM algorithm handles fatigue, favorite players under-performing, slappy switch hitters over-performing, etc., rants that always end with "SIM is a joke."

4. Owners who return to OL's after a long absence, announce that they're slumming, haven't played OL's in ages and forgot how ridiculously easy they are, and wouldn't be caught dead playing there except they're trying out some new strategy that makes it irrelevant whether they win or lose. OK, we get it, you're brilliant and can beat everyone with one hand tied behind your back.

5. People who post when drunk or stoned.

6. People who post when drunk or stoned and brag about it.

7. People who post on the forums asking for advice, then argue with the people who take the time to try to help them out and ignore the advice.

8. Sparky's use of mops. Sorry, but after all these years I don't believe that there is a logical decision tree that always governs his choices. Sometimes they're just a little wacky.

9. SIM's affinity for ruining an otherwise enjoyable & competitive game w/ 9th inning heroics.

10. Max Carey's stranglehold on the MVP Award in every open league in which he plays.

11. Giving the Player of the Game Award to a pitcher who gets shelled.

12. Owners who promise to post a top 10 list and have clearly forgotten how to count.
All of this!!!

Probably my #1:

Giving the Player of the Game Award to a pitcher who gets shelled.
7/13/2020 4:21 PM
Pet peeve:So there was this game, where you pitched to a batter who tried to hit the ball and run around the bases. It was exciting, and poetic, and fun.Then came some smart guys who figured out that:
You should rarely try to steal bases unless you are almost certain of being safe. So, fewer exciting plays on the bases and most steals lack drama when they happen.
Pitchers get hit harder on average the third time around. So it's better to change pitchers a whole lot.
Pitchers apparently have no effect on batted balls, only on walks, strikeouts and home runs. So pitchers who pitch to get batters to hit on the ground are not favored. The result of the last two innovations is a lot more strikeouts, home runs and walks.
Batters are taught to hit the ball somewhat upwards, to try and hit home runs, cause that makes your team win. It doesn't matter if you strikeout a lot.
So more home runs still and even more strikeouts. Fearing homers and trying for strikeouts, pitchers walk more batters.
It turns out bunting is bad. No more bunting. It turns out that shifts work, so fewer hits, fewer base runners,
All of this is science. It means it won't go away. These things won't stop being true. Descartes has killed our game. Nothing can be done to salvage it, except to move fences way the f .... back, ban most pitching changes, let walks put batters on second base and penalizing both teams in different ways for too many strikeouts. Ugh.
Baseball made into an Abstract Universal, a Cartesian matrix without magic. Who needed that? And like any island people who gods were knocked down by arriving colonialists, we remain traumatized.
That's my pet peeve. Oh, that and capitalism.
7/13/2020 4:35 PM (edited)
Walks - I have very little proof, just anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me a control pitcher is at a disadvantage against a hitter with a good eye (i.e. who walks a lot). BB/9 are a key factor for me when building my teams FWIW anyway. I hate walks. I set IBB to zero. Nothing irritates me more than putting batters on base; so my teams - unless a theme prevents it - typically are in the top 5 fewest BB allowed (or better).

I looked at my 5 completed teams that I still have access too - various themes (not an O/L player) - and compared my hitters and pitchers BB results to their R/L:

Batters achieved 78.6% of their real life BB totals (as low as 73.6% as high as 83.9%)
Pitchers averaged 145.6% of their real life totals (best being 119.4%, worst 208.8%)

I know the themes effect results (the 208.8% was a HR league filled with high BB and HR guys, though I still had high control pitchers), and this is only a handful of examples, but it has always felt out of whack to me, and these numbers (as small a sample as they are) seem to support it.

One could assume a lineup with 1,000 real life BB's would get 750-800 in the SIM, while a staff with 500 R/L BB's would produce close to 700. Advantage batters.

If any of the pro's here have data to support or refute this, I'd love to see it. Thanks!
7/13/2020 4:48 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.