Posted by BCBSMA on 7/13/2020 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Walks - I have very little proof, just anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me a control pitcher is at a disadvantage against a hitter with a good eye (i.e. who walks a lot). BB/9 are a key factor for me when building my teams FWIW anyway. I hate walks. I set IBB to zero. Nothing irritates me more than putting batters on base; so my teams - unless a theme prevents it - typically are in the top 5 fewest BB allowed (or better).

I looked at my 5 completed teams that I still have access too - various themes (not an O/L player) - and compared my hitters and pitchers BB results to their R/L:

Batters achieved 78.6% of their real life BB totals (as low as 73.6% as high as 83.9%)
Pitchers averaged 145.6% of their real life totals (best being 119.4%, worst 208.8%)

I know the themes effect results (the 208.8% was a HR league filled with high BB and HR guys, though I still had high control pitchers), and this is only a handful of examples, but it has always felt out of whack to me, and these numbers (as small a sample as they are) seem to support it.

One could assume a lineup with 1,000 real life BB's would get 750-800 in the SIM, while a staff with 500 R/L BB's would produce close to 700. Advantage batters.

If any of the pro's here have data to support or refute this, I'd love to see it. Thanks!
You'd be correct, the sim weights the matchup in favor of the hitter:
7/13/2020 5:07 PM
Those times Sparky randomly shuffles your hierarchies, and a pedestrian AAA recent call-up is your top PH and your CA is your 3B defensive replacement.
7/13/2020 5:11 PM
Posted by just4me on 7/13/2020 5:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by BCBSMA on 7/13/2020 4:48:00 PM (view original):
Walks - I have very little proof, just anecdotal evidence, but it seems to me a control pitcher is at a disadvantage against a hitter with a good eye (i.e. who walks a lot). BB/9 are a key factor for me when building my teams FWIW anyway. I hate walks. I set IBB to zero. Nothing irritates me more than putting batters on base; so my teams - unless a theme prevents it - typically are in the top 5 fewest BB allowed (or better).

I looked at my 5 completed teams that I still have access too - various themes (not an O/L player) - and compared my hitters and pitchers BB results to their R/L:

Batters achieved 78.6% of their real life BB totals (as low as 73.6% as high as 83.9%)
Pitchers averaged 145.6% of their real life totals (best being 119.4%, worst 208.8%)

I know the themes effect results (the 208.8% was a HR league filled with high BB and HR guys, though I still had high control pitchers), and this is only a handful of examples, but it has always felt out of whack to me, and these numbers (as small a sample as they are) seem to support it.

One could assume a lineup with 1,000 real life BB's would get 750-800 in the SIM, while a staff with 500 R/L BB's would produce close to 700. Advantage batters.

If any of the pro's here have data to support or refute this, I'd love to see it. Thanks!
You'd be correct, the sim weights the matchup in favor of the hitter:
Thanks for that - much appreciated! Though I don't agree with the logic, at least what I am seeing makes more sense. I'd still argue that a strong control pitcher (Maddux, Lee, Eck) are going to lose their edge to a batter with a discerning eye; in fact it should be the other way around.
7/13/2020 7:03 PM
It isn't though. I did a lot of research on this back in maybe 2010-11...posted it in the forums thought it's probably gone. baseball-reference.com shows B vs P matchup data (though I can't find it right now) so I looked for places where a very low BB pitcher faced a very high BB hitter, with at least 100 PAs. While I don't remember the exact results, the average number of walks in those PAs was much closer to the hitter's rate than the pitcher's. The WIS data is drawn from real life, not from some theoretical estimate. The batter is a much stronger predictor of whether a PA will end up in a BB than the pitcher. And this is true even for extreme control pitchers.
7/13/2020 7:30 PM
I find that fascinating - I expected obviously that a hitter's walk rate would go down and a pitcher's to go up, but that it would favor the pitcher. Happy to be proven wrong though!

I do see that BR has something under Batting Finders & Advanced Stats if you scroll way down on any hitter's page; among other things there is a vs. pitcher option. It appears to be behind a subscription wall now.
7/13/2020 8:28 PM
Posted by schwarze on 10/16/2013 10:41:00 AM (view original):
My biggest pet peeve are owners who disappear without a trace, when they know they are supposed to be entereing a team into a league, or they are supposed to be drafting.

Sure, it might be a little inconvenient to the rest of the league when somebody says they are out of town for a week and can't start drafting yet.  I can live with that.  But to simply go AWOL without the courtesy to spend 30 seconds to send a quick site-mail explaining the situation.  It really puts a commissioner in a tough spot.  Do I wait?  If so, how long?  Do I find a replacement?  What if find a replacement for a draft and then the guy comes back, complaining that he wants in?

Just drop a quick note, and prevent all the headaches.  It's basic courtesy.
I was one of those about 10 years ago in CalVal league.My computer broke;and I guess I didn't have a cell phone.I didn't know my password.I tried to contact WIS about 3x.I gave up and didn't play for 6 or 7 yrs.So I had a strong guilt trip.
7/16/2020 12:52 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 12345

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.