Personally, I try to use proper grammar and correct spellings whenever possible.  I feel that it makes a good impression both online in forums and via email.

The art of correspondence has been lost somewhat in the LOL, OMG, ROFL, etc.  Especially the power of the thank you note.

10/19/2013 3:51 PM
As someone who teaches a writing class, grammar is very important to I.
10/19/2013 3:53 PM
Posted by clememp on 10/19/2013 1:04:00 PM (view original):
What if they dropped 8-10 campus visits?  Easy to do if they have more cash stacked.  It's a dog eat dog world in recruiting.  Plans should always have contingencies.  For instance, I was battling with MSM for the top rated FB.  I expected if he had cash to burn, that I would lose out.  I didn't, but went ahead and got a great backup plan so I wouldn't have to get ****** off and vent on the forums.

However, I also used my extra cash to poach a recruit from an adjacent conference after he was sniffing around my green player we battled for earlier.  I don't blame him for trying, but now he might think twice about messing with guys planning on coming to my school.  Otherwise, he may decide to give my recruiting class a nice bloody nose next cycle. 

That is half the fun of the game.  Heck I had a good friend of mine get ****** off about Darryl Neal getting 'poached' from him 10 seasons ago.  That was the funniest gmail chat exchange ever.

If recruiting is supposed to be find them, spend 2k to get an undecided or 6k (at DII) to poach from a Sim, that would make this game a lot more boring.  I bet a full world would be even more sketchy with poaching, sniffing around and being a snake in the grass.

I have no problem with a guy turning from favoring me to favoring the other guy after signings start. But even if he pours 20 CV's at the guy and has now turned him, I or someone else for that matter should get a chance to recruit the player again. I for one think it is BS when the player turns and signs on the same cycle after signings. This should be changed in the game.
10/19/2013 4:13 PM
Posted by jibe on 10/19/2013 4:13:00 PM (view original):
What if they dropped 8-10 campus visits?  Easy to do if they have more cash stacked.  It's a dog eat dog world in recruiting.  Plans should always have contingencies.  For instance, I was battling with MSM for the top rated FB.  I expected if he had cash to burn, that I would lose out.  I didn't, but went ahead and got a great backup plan so I wouldn't have to get ****** off and vent on the forums.

However, I also used my extra cash to poach a recruit from an adjacent conference after he was sniffing around my green player we battled for earlier.  I don't blame him for trying, but now he might think twice about messing with guys planning on coming to my school.  Otherwise, he may decide to give my recruiting class a nice bloody nose next cycle. 

That is half the fun of the game.  Heck I had a good friend of mine get ****** off about Darryl Neal getting 'poached' from him 10 seasons ago.  That was the funniest gmail chat exchange ever.

If recruiting is supposed to be find them, spend 2k to get an undecided or 6k (at DII) to poach from a Sim, that would make this game a lot more boring.  I bet a full world would be even more sketchy with poaching, sniffing around and being a snake in the grass.

I have no problem with a guy turning from favoring me to favoring the other guy after signings start. But even if he pours 20 CV's at the guy and has now turned him, I or someone else for that matter should get a chance to recruit the player again. I for one think it is BS when the player turns and signs on the same cycle after signings. This should be changed in the game.

I have no issue with poaching - have used the tactic myself, and have had it used against me, it's part of the game. And I know that some can (and will) argue that in real life, kids will give verbal agreements to go to one school ('green to them' if you will) and sign with another school out of the blue.  

AFTER signings have begun, I have no issue with the "turn and sign in one cycle" methodology.  If you wanted the recruit, you should have offered him a scholarship.  If you are "saving" a kid as your backup option, and another school comes in after him, too bad for you.

However, the single cycle where signing occur, I can see where you get a one-cycle "Look coach, I'm signing with Whatsamatta U unless you change my mind NOW" type exchange.

10/19/2013 5:48 PM
Posted by bulldogg431 on 10/18/2013 10:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by vikesrule69 on 10/18/2013 9:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jibe on 10/18/2013 8:38:00 PM (view original):
If I get what you're saying it shouldn't happen and needs to be changed. If at 8:06 the recruits favoring your offer and then at 11:06, the next cycle, the recruit has accepted the other teams offer and you do still have money to spend, this shouldn't be happening. And I've seen it happen a lot as of late. Guys like to say that there is nothing wrong with recruiting. This is broken imo.
It wasn't exactly like that. I was leading after signing, but fell behind later. I felt I had regained the lead by the comments I was getting.It was over several cycles, but all the comments were positive. They were like just say the word am I'm there, I almost passed out, and this sounds like the perfect fit for me. I've seen negative comments before like I know your busy or I bet it looks great in person, so I know the difference. If I had received those comments after a couple cycles I might have gone a different route.

Those comments mean nothing... the only messages that you need to look for after signings start are the ones that basically say that they're leaning towards you over another school. It's usually title "About your offer"

Those messages may mean a little more than some may think when determining how close or far from the lead you may be.
10/19/2013 5:51 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 10/19/2013 5:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jibe on 10/19/2013 4:13:00 PM (view original):

I have no issue with poaching - have used the tactic myself, and have had it used against me, it's part of the game. And I know that some can (and will) argue that in real life, kids will give verbal agreements to go to one school ('green to them' if you will) and sign with another school out of the blue.  

AFTER signings have begun, I have no issue with the "turn and sign in one cycle" methodology.  If you wanted the recruit, you should have offered him a scholarship.  If you are "saving" a kid as your backup option, and another school comes in after him, too bad for you.

However, the single cycle where signing occur, I can see where you get a one-cycle "Look coach, I'm signing with Whatsamatta U unless you change my mind NOW" type exchange.

Whatta ya mean not offered him a scholarship? It's been offered up since before signings. What part is not comprehendable? Two teams are in a battle. One has the lead at 8:06 with the I'm close to making a decision and I'm leaning your way coach message. At 11:06 the next cycle the player has not only turned but signed with the other team leaving the team that led at 8:06 with an empty bag.

This has happened to me a half dozen times now and for the most part in the last 6-10 months. I have also benefited once from this.

You should at least get another cycle to get the player back again.

10/19/2013 6:38 PM
I was addressing the idea of "stealing" a player who is "green" to your team, not an ongoing battle between two teams.  I read your note but not what you were responding to, which was my mistake.

I can see your point, but I just don't agree with it.  If you have a guy leaning your way, and you want to take the chance that the other coach isn't going to continue to put effort into him and try to steal him away, so be it.  If you want to ensure he signs with you, continue to put effort in yourself.  

10/19/2013 6:49 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.