World Seriezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Topic

I think most of America didn't realize a baseball game was played last night.
10/27/2013 8:04 AM
Yep it sucks and a really bad break BUT...it was the absolutely the correct call.  It was great to see umps explain the call in a press conference. As a player and umpire myself (slo pitch here in Canada) I have seen this call made, also have had to make it a couple of times..  And yes it is a little bit of a judgement call.....

Intent is NOT required, actually physical contact is also NOT required either...  All that is required is for a fielder that is not playing the ball (playing the ball is: fielding it, receiving a throw or making a throw) to obstruct a base runner's path as they attempt advance to the next base.  This part is very black & white, where judgement comes in...would the baserunner have made it safely to the next base if the obstruction not occurred.

Middlebrook's attempt to get up is a natural reaction in this case BUT again he obstructed Allen's attempt to get home with this action. He didn't intend to obstruct the runner, but he did. The play at the plate is a very close one but definitely out... Would've Allen made it safety if not obstructed....MAYBE.  That maybe is all that is needed for the call to be made. Benefit of the doubt MUST fall to the baserunner when there is obstruction.

So the umps got it 100% correct.  I realize that is no comfort for a Red Sox fan. As a fan of the game, all we want is the umps to get the calls correct..they did here. 
10/27/2013 8:09 AM
Crown the Red Sox 1975 Champions retro actively......Armbrister!!!!!! Armbrister!!!!!!!!!
10/27/2013 8:48 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by edsortails on 10/27/2013 8:48:00 AM (view original):
Crown the Red Sox 1975 Champions retro actively......Armbrister!!!!!! Armbrister!!!!!!!!!
Sadly, I'm old enough to remember that one...   In that case, the ump blew the call. Red Sox had every right to complain about that one....

Without going into detail.. In that situation, the fielder (Carlton Fisk) rights are primary..Armbrister interfered with the attempt to field the ball.  Again intent is not an issue and contact is not required....   Home plate ump blew that one.

10/27/2013 9:45 AM (edited)
Oh, I am a long time Bosox fan..so admitting the umps got the call right last night is hard but they did get it right.  I blame the loss on Farrell.....he blew it in several ways.
10/27/2013 9:48 AM
With all the attention on the obstruction call, what's getting lost in the noise is the fact that Saltalamacchia made an ill-advised throw to try to get Craig (who was clearly going to be safe at third anyways), and he threw the ball away.  It's what we tell our Little League kids all the time ("DON'T THROW THE BALL AROUND!!!").  

If Craig hadn't tripped over Middlebrooks, he would have clearly been safe at home as the eventual play at the plate was very close even WITH the obstruction.

Ironically, the last World Series game to end on an error was the Buckner game in '86.  Karma rears it's ugly ahead again.
10/27/2013 9:57 AM
Exactly!!   Saltalamacchia and Farrell blew this one, not the umps.

Also Bosox fans..how soon you forget.  Game 1 of this series....that call at 2nd base!!!  Yes it is unusual for a call to be overturned, BUT in the end the call was the correct one.  As I said, we want the calls to be made correctly as per the rules....     That 'correct' call went Boston's way...!!!

10/27/2013 10:28 AM
+1 on the salty and Ferrall screw ups. Let's hope the mental farts are done.
10/27/2013 6:35 PM
Bahstan meltdowns are funny.  Let's keep it up.
10/27/2013 7:09 PM
LMAO that Farrell is giving the ball tonight to a guy who doesn't think he can get the job done.  I'm assuming because of his delicate, tender vagina.
10/27/2013 7:33 PM
*******, Curt Schilling is already looking for a vial of pigs blood and a sock, and begging Farrell to give HIM the damn ball if Buchholz doesn't want it.
10/27/2013 7:35 PM
Buchholz = known *****
10/27/2013 7:49 PM
Pussyface epitomized.

10/27/2013 7:50 PM
I also like "he never touched home". Lets face it, if the shoe was on the other foot, every Red Sox fan would be citing Rule 7.06.
Some classic Boston expert on everything comments from a local blog.
Obviously that umpire was same referee who made the call at the Patriots game last weekend
Ironic that both the Sox last night, and Pat's last week, lost to umps/refs enforcing little used rules
On a regular season game, that play would have never been called - this is twice Jim Joyce has blown the outcome of a game...
The batter should have been called out after Craig interfered with Middlebrooks under Section 7.08(b)"A runner is declared out if (b) He intentionally interferes with a thrown ball; or hinders a fielder attempting to make a play on a batted ball;
Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.
Worst call in history of major league baseball
The ump was in favor of the cardinals. He didn't want the sox winning from the beginning
move on my *** file a protest
Def a bad call! Middlebrooks fell cause he got tackled. Where was he supposed to go? Disappear so the guy wouldn't trip on him?? These bad calls always happen to Boston
10/27/2013 7:51 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
World Seriezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.