Holding players back Topic

For full disclosure, I think it's a poor strategy. 

I called up Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Greg Wood early in his 2nd full season despite being far from fully developed.   He was my best option as a 3B(despite being a SS prospect) and I felt I had a team that had a shot at the playoffs(I was wrong). 

First, he developed just fine.  Moved him to SS when the ratings were there.  So that concern shouldn't exist.
Second, despite "losing" salary controlled years(you don't actually lose them), I got him for his entire career BEFORE the inevitable decline had begun.

Had I followed the "traditional" path of promotion, which ends with him getting called up 20 games into his 4th season, I'd be forking out the SS money while he devolved into a 2B/3B. 

And that's why I think it's a poor strategy.

10/31/2013 1:56 PM
MikeT23 Honey Badgers 10/31/2013 10:57 AM This FA class sucks except for that dirty turncoat Greg Wood who can rot in simhell.
10/31/2013 2:01 PM
It depends on the guy.  The guys where you depend on ratings like power and range? Yea, call them up when they're ready and can help your team immediately.  I think pitchers are different because they generally don't begin to lose their "important" ratings until their late 30s, so if you think it's more important to you to delay paying the big money and hold on to him as long as possible, I get holding him back.

I can find instances where I called up guys and probably should have waited the "20 minor league days," and vice versa.  It's a case-by-case deal. But yea, I feel there are too many teams who hold back difference-makers and find they just missed a playoff spot, or a bye in the playoffs, or whatever.  And eventually they'll find themselves paying a guy in his last year too much money because he's deteriorating. 
10/31/2013 2:05 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/31/2013 2:01:00 PM (view original):
MikeT23 Honey Badgers 10/31/2013 10:57 AM This FA class sucks except for that dirty turncoat Greg Wood who can rot in simhell.
Are you suggesting Mike would have liked to keep him one more year?  If only he waited 20 days that first year...
10/31/2013 2:06 PM
I know I can be dense. Fairly regularly in fact.
But that guy hasn't devolved into anything but a very slightly less solid SS.
10/31/2013 2:13 PM (edited)
No, I'd like to have him for 3-4 more.   Not necessarily because I think he'll be nearly as valuable as a 2B/3B but because I have a strange desire to keep my "top" players for their entire careers.    I wanted to punch eblake in the sack for signing Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Alfredo Leary when it was obviously time to let him go back to Tennessee and goat farm. 
10/31/2013 2:11 PM
An example of "maybe I should have called him up immediately" - I held this guy down because I looked at his ratings and thought "he's a lot like my 2-4 starters...he can wait the 20 days."  Except he's a ROY candidate and I'm tied for the 6th playoff spot with 7 games to go.  If you told me I'd lose this by a game if I didn't call him up right away, I would have called him up early.

Again, it's a case-by-case thing.  And sometimes you make a decision and hindsight bites you in the ***.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Geraldo Segui
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/31/2013 2:09:00 PM (view original):
But that guy hasn't devolving into anything but a very slightly less solid SS.
Check back with me when his 5 year contract is over. 
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2013 2:11:00 PM (view original):
No, I'd like to have him for 3-4 more.   Not necessarily because I think he'll be nearly as valuable as a 2B/3B but because I have a strange desire to keep my "top" players for their entire careers.    I wanted to punch eblake in the sack for signing Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Alfredo Leary when it was obviously time to let him go back to Tennessee and goat farm. 
It's called you want to pretend your best guys are Derek Jeter. Cute.

I understand though, I feel the same way.
10/31/2013 2:13 PM
Wait what? If it worked out for you why do you think it's a bad strategy? I'm missing something here.

Also how has he not started to decline despite having a pooor make up? Same thing with this guy, feel like he should have declined somewhat by now.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Eli Moya
Posted by burnsy483 on 10/31/2013 2:05:00 PM (view original):
It depends on the guy.  The guys where you depend on ratings like power and range? Yea, call them up when they're ready and can help your team immediately.  I think pitchers are different because they generally don't begin to lose their "important" ratings until their late 30s, so if you think it's more important to you to delay paying the big money and hold on to him as long as possible, I get holding him back.

I can find instances where I called up guys and probably should have waited the "20 minor league days," and vice versa.  It's a case-by-case deal. But yea, I feel there are too many teams who hold back difference-makers and find they just missed a playoff spot, or a bye in the playoffs, or whatever.  And eventually they'll find themselves paying a guy in his last year too much money because he's deteriorating. 
Pitchers are different.    I've said that many times.   But position players lose their non-skill ratings in their early 30s. 
Posted by bglick on 10/31/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Wait what? If it worked out for you why do you think it's a bad strategy? I'm missing something here.

Also how has he not started to decline despite having a pooor make up? Same thing with this guy, feel like he should have declined somewhat by now.  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Eli Moya
I didn't hold him back.  That's what you're missing.   I called him up two seasons before most would.

20m in training.   Not sure if you're there but it's a difference-maker.

10/31/2013 2:14 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bglick on 10/31/2013 2:13:00 PM (view original):

I didn't hold him back.  That's what you're missing.   I called him up two seasons before most would.

20m in training.   Not sure if you're there but it's a difference-maker.

Oh gotcha. But for the player I linked, Moya's team only had $12m in training, and he has barely declined. Any ideas? Is it all luck then?
10/31/2013 2:18 PM (edited)
If we're talking holding back guys for entire seasons, when they can make a difference on your ML team now?  If you think you have any shot of making the playoffs, call him up.  I understand the whole 20 days thing, but I don't understand having a guy on your AAA team for a FULL SEASON who is clearly a better option that whoever you're playing on your ML team.  
10/31/2013 2:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/31/2013 2:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchalesarmy on 10/31/2013 2:09:00 PM (view original):
But that guy hasn't devolving into anything but a very slightly less solid SS.
Check back with me when his 5 year contract is over. 
5 years is irrelevant.

The correct comparison would be 1 season from now, since as you stated you brought him up 2 seasons early.

So you lost him for THIS season and NEXT season. Those are the only two relevant seasons to the comparison.

His ratings for this season and next are most likely going to be better than the first two years he was making BL minimum.

Obviously if he was your best chance of winning no one can fault your decision, but don't kid yourself, you lost ownership of a "better" player by bringing up "developing player" early.
10/31/2013 2:23 PM
123 Next ▸
Holding players back Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.