Starters used in relief Topic

Posted by sergei91 on 11/1/2013 1:07:00 PM (view original):
hey jt- did you notice that all your position players have a box you can check or uncheck for 'relief' too? meaning not only can starters and relievers be put in to pitch, but so can your ss, 2b, etc? it's kinda important to uncheck the boxes of guys you don't want to relieve.
I do want this guy to relieve. It's what he does 95% of the time. I get why he was eligible to be used in relief - I still had the box checked. I'm not denying that.

But even SPs who are eligible to relieve should still be last resorts. If there is a healthy reliever at 100% in the 'pen, he should always come in before a starter. This isn't the playoffs. No manager is ever going to bring in a starter in a regular season game when he has rested relievers in the bullpen, even if those relievers are mopup guys.

And if that is going to be the case, then we should be allowed to change our next game's starter in emergency situations. If a major league team was forced to use a starter, they could call up someone to make the next day's start. You can't do that in HBD, which makes it more imperative that SPs are an absolute last resort in relief.
11/6/2013 12:35 AM
Posted by dedelman on 11/1/2013 10:21:00 AM (view original):
Assuming for a moment that your auto-rest setting for the guy is 60 or higher-- did he actually make the start?    Wouldn't the next guy in line actually get the start, anyway? 

In which case the sim would have made a decision that a fairly typical (albeit perhaps inept) manager would make; the game is "on the line," so you scrap your plan to give the rotation a break and win the game instead.
He did make the start - and lost - because everyone else in my rotation was below their autorest still (which is why I had him making the start in the first place).
11/6/2013 12:38 AM
I uncheck that box for all my starters, and potential spot starters, too, at the beginning of the season.

They'll still come in when listed in the bullpen, but never when listed as starters.

You're welcome.
11/6/2013 1:51 PM
Is jt still ******** about this? Can we get him a soother or something so he'll stop crying?
11/6/2013 2:44 PM
11/6/2013 2:52 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 11/6/2013 2:44:00 PM (view original):
Is jt still ******** about this? Can we get him a soother or something so he'll stop crying?
Not if it's the kind of soothers you like. I don't swing that way
11/6/2013 10:47 PM
◂ Prev 12
Starters used in relief Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.