$12m for Jetes Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 11/1/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):
I think NY is not a "destination" franchise at this point in time.   So there's plenty of reason to not consider the Yankees. 
1) It's not like these two are Alex Rodriguez in his prime (or even Alex Rodriguez today).

2) I think we can count the "destination" franchises on one hand:

Boston
St. Louis
Los Angeles Dodgers
Detroit

Maybe you could add Atlanta or Washington to that list. But that's about it. On that list, St. Louis is the only team looking for an upgrade at short. Boston, Detroit, LA, Atlanta, and Washington are all set.

Other teams?

Tampa isn't going to be in the market for any multi-year free agents. Cleveland is trying to trade their shortstop. Texas has two young potential stars at short. Cozart isn't great but it's unlikely the Reds would spend a bunch of money to replace him with a 30+ free agent. Maybe Pittsburgh?

So St. Louis and Pittsburgh will probably be the only competition for free agent shortstops. With such a limited market, there's no reason that Drew and Peralta wouldn't consider an offer from the Yankees.

Even if the Yankees are widely considered a piece of **** franchise these days.

(about that last line...I'm just ******* with you)

11/1/2013 4:42 PM
Yankees aren't going to pay Jeter AND another shortstop big $.  It just isn't happening.
11/1/2013 4:53 PM
◂ Prev 12
$12m for Jetes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.