Would Anyone Object to Extended First Cycle? Topic

"...(who the hell show's up on a recruit's doorstep while making the first phone call while driving through the neighborhood?...creepy...)..."

This actually happens in RL! There are RL coaches who have been caught doing this...*cough...Neuheisel...cough*
11/6/2013 11:29 AM
i dont understand why the first cycle cant start with new coach signups in progress. people seem to keep talking about rolling that back but i dont see the need. nobody can leave the job at this point - all the existing coaches are guaranteed to be there (unless CS manually removes them, i guess). new coaches would just get more time than they get now, but not quite as much as others - i don't really see a problem with that.
11/6/2013 11:53 AM
Posted by gillispie1 on 11/6/2013 11:53:00 AM (view original):
i dont understand why the first cycle cant start with new coach signups in progress. people seem to keep talking about rolling that back but i dont see the need. nobody can leave the job at this point - all the existing coaches are guaranteed to be there (unless CS manually removes them, i guess). new coaches would just get more time than they get now, but not quite as much as others - i don't really see a problem with that.
This
11/6/2013 12:02 PM
Many coaches would ***** ferociously, if they were permitted to enter recruiting actions before the sim-AI teams recruit and prior effort on JuCos is shown, only to find when they check back in that they have unwittingly entered into a battle that they could previously have avoided.   Obviously, sim-AI recruiting and prior year ineligible-gone-JuCo effort assignment cannot occur until the end of the coach signup period.   So, my guess is that WIS will balk at it altogether.   

That's why bumping up the earlier cycles and lengthening the 6-8pm cycle to a, say noon-8pm cycle would be easier.  I signed up for my first GD team and was startled that the first cycle runs 24 hours, with each cycle thereafter as 3 hour cycles.   That seems a bit excessive, but it certainly indicates that something similar could be done with HD and that WIS knows how to do it. 
11/6/2013 1:15 PM
Rather than extend the first cycle, I advocate extending the 2nd cycle. That one is much more important.
11/6/2013 1:16 PM
Posted by rogelio on 11/6/2013 1:15:00 PM (view original):
Many coaches would ***** ferociously, if they were permitted to enter recruiting actions before the sim-AI teams recruit and prior effort on JuCos is shown, only to find when they check back in that they have unwittingly entered into a battle that they could previously have avoided.   Obviously, sim-AI recruiting and prior year ineligible-gone-JuCo effort assignment cannot occur until the end of the coach signup period.   So, my guess is that WIS will balk at it altogether.   

That's why bumping up the earlier cycles and lengthening the 6-8pm cycle to a, say noon-8pm cycle would be easier.  I signed up for my first GD team and was startled that the first cycle runs 24 hours, with each cycle thereafter as 3 hour cycles.   That seems a bit excessive, but it certainly indicates that something similar could be done with HD and that WIS knows how to do it. 
its a valid point, and i suppose you can't have sims recruit until signups are over. i guess instead of a complete fix i was looking for an easy fix that just lets you survive if you have to miss the cycle. its not ideal recruiting before sims report and 6-8 is still preferred but if you can't do 6-8, recruiting early would be a lot better than doing nothing. i suppose it would be better to fix things all the way and truly extend the cycle but it also seems a lot more complicated. i would be happy either way :) i think it would potentially be weird for new/younger coaches, i feel like 98% of the coaches around a while would look at the positive side, but if it causes confusion with newer coaches and costs more time, it might not be worth it.

11/6/2013 1:21 PM
I think the way to do it is to allow pre-loading of moves, but have them be retractable.   If you want to check back and see what the SIMs have done, do so.  If you cant or dont care, dont. 

I'd be looking for the smallest change possible, which is to keep everything as is - but allow first cycle moves to be posted 2 - 4 - 6 hours earlier IF you choose to do so and accept the risks....
11/6/2013 4:39 PM
I'd rather chop off the last day of recruiting than extend the signup period into the first cycle
11/6/2013 5:58 PM
Just because the first cycle gets extended to before Sims recruit doesn't mean you HAVE to recruit then. You could just keep doing what you're doing right now instead. This doesn't put you in any worse situation than you're in now. 

That said, I'm with metsmax. Extending the first cycle but making the actions retractable until 8 PM ET is the way to go. If you know you aren't going to be able to check back, you accept the risk or you skip the cycle (now skipping the cycle is the only option in this case). if you are going to be able to check back, at least you have time to get most of the work done beforehand, and all you need to do in that 6-8 range is check in to see if you need to retract anything. This can be especially helpful if you're going to be out between 6-8 and don't feel like sending 15 phone calls to potential dropdowns while using mobile. Because that's a pain in the ***.
11/6/2013 6:16 PM
Posted by tarvolon on 11/6/2013 6:16:00 PM (view original):
Just because the first cycle gets extended to before Sims recruit doesn't mean you HAVE to recruit then. You could just keep doing what you're doing right now instead. This doesn't put you in any worse situation than you're in now. 

That said, I'm with metsmax. Extending the first cycle but making the actions retractable until 8 PM ET is the way to go. If you know you aren't going to be able to check back, you accept the risk or you skip the cycle (now skipping the cycle is the only option in this case). if you are going to be able to check back, at least you have time to get most of the work done beforehand, and all you need to do in that 6-8 range is check in to see if you need to retract anything. This can be especially helpful if you're going to be out between 6-8 and don't feel like sending 15 phone calls to potential dropdowns while using mobile. Because that's a pain in the ***.
Just because it's easy to check back between 6-8 doesnt mean it's fun to have to check back between 6-8
11/6/2013 8:50 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 11/6/2013 8:50:00 PM (view original):

Just because it's easy to check back between 6-8 doesnt mean it's fun to have to check back between 6-8
checking back between 6-8 ET in case SIMs have appeared would not be the BEST possible approach - but I would argue that it would clearly be better than current situation.  If a coach doesnt want to frontload first cycle, he doesnt have to do so.  If you will be driving home from work during that two hour slot, you can decide that the SIM issue isnt big enough to offset the benefit of getting some moves in.

Its a choice, a better choice than now - and its the smallest change.  Bigger changes could be fine too
11/7/2013 6:00 AM

I'm not trying to claim this is the perfect solution. Just that it in no way creates any new burdens on anyone and potentially alleviates some. 
11/7/2013 11:38 AM
Posted by metsmax on 11/7/2013 6:00:00 AM (view original):

checking back between 6-8 ET in case SIMs have appeared would not be the BEST possible approach - but I would argue that it would clearly be better than current situation.  If a coach doesnt want to frontload first cycle, he doesnt have to do so.  If you will be driving home from work during that two hour slot, you can decide that the SIM issue isnt big enough to offset the benefit of getting some moves in.

Its a choice, a better choice than now - and its the smallest change.  Bigger changes could be fine too
sounds like we agree 100%. putting actions early without knowing sim actions is less than ideal, but after so many years with no fix, less than ideal is looking pretty damn good :)
11/7/2013 1:05 PM
I actually think the ability to recruit before sim actions would be more of a trap for inexperienced coaches...then again, i've been doing mass recruit actions thru the yatzr for a while now so maybe i'm out of touch.

It's a shame that HD has made us content with such less-than-ideal solutions
11/7/2013 1:11 PM
◂ Prev 12
Would Anyone Object to Extended First Cycle? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.