No Lakers Thread This Season? Topic

Since the Lakers have zero history in rebuilding, I'm almost sure they will try to trade their pick for a younger established player (to pair with Kobe, persuade Pau to stay, and lure one other "name" to LA, before Love returns home in 2015-16).  Anybody have any possible targets, and how high do you think the pick would need to be to get that player?

4/2/2014 9:11 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 4/2/2014 12:11:00 PM (view original):
I don't see them trading their pick. They'll have the 6th pick right now. Obviously they could go as low as 9th, but that's highly unlikely to get jumped by a bunch of teams, plus they could move up if they win one of the spots.

Draftees are cheap and any trade will bring in either a guy closer to FA and bringing in more money, or a guy already more highly paid. They need a homerun on the pick. Kobe's contract murdered their ability to bring in a suitable cast for the Lakers to win anytime soon.
I see things that way too, but I doubt the Lakers do, and I know Kobe doesn't.
4/2/2014 4:42 PM
prediction:  Lakers get the 1st pick.
4/2/2014 6:43 PM
the Lakers will get someone like Exum or Smart or maybe Randle at the 4-7 spot and then they will resign some of their more promising driftwood/projects (Blazemore/Meeks/Marshall/Kelly et al?) and maybe make a run at a Lowry or Monroe as long as the bidding doesn't get too extreme (with the new CBA we may be surprised at how low the bar gets set on some of these guys - or maybe that's wishful thinking) - maybe they resign Pau if he comes cheap enough but I wont blame him if he goes somewhere more promising - Kobe will ***** a bit possibly but he took the 24m so cant have it both ways

meanwhile the fans calling for MDA's head are a) idiots and b) probably out of luck- idiots because Christ Jesus couldn't get this team over 30 wins (unless he was getting heavy favors from his dad ala 'Hey Nick Young my dad sez you get to be Mike circa 89 for a year' etc) and out of luck because the rebuild is one more year just like MDA's contract

as for Mr Nash I hope he comes back and finds a way to finish on his own terms but whatever happens they absolutely should not stretch him - just let him play it out - maybe you can even find somebody willing to dump a pick &/or prospect for his expiring? who knows? But in any event worst case is it washes a year from June and is done (and you don't look like a-hole welchers in meanwhile?)
4/2/2014 9:43 PM (edited)
Posted by all3 on 11/25/2013 6:26:00 PM (view original):
Players want to play for the Lakers (and Celtics), for the same reason guys in other sports want to play for the Cowboys or the Yankees.  They want to play for a storied franchise, that always has at least a shot of winning it all, while being in the spotlight.  Do you think guys really grew-up saying "I want to be a Raptor.", or "Some day I want to play for Memphis."?  For some players it's about winning, for others it's about money, but for some it's about the experience.  Those players will always chose the Lakers, if the Lakers give them the chance.
Ha!
7/11/2014 7:47 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 7/11/2014 7:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 11/25/2013 6:26:00 PM (view original):
Players want to play for the Lakers (and Celtics), for the same reason guys in other sports want to play for the Cowboys or the Yankees.  They want to play for a storied franchise, that always has at least a shot of winning it all, while being in the spotlight.  Do you think guys really grew-up saying "I want to be a Raptor.", or "Some day I want to play for Memphis."?  For some players it's about winning, for others it's about money, but for some it's about the experience.  Those players will always chose the Lakers, if the Lakers give them the chance.
Ha!
Very well-thought out  and informative post.  If you're "Ha!"ing Lebron or Carmelo not coming, then you know nothing about the NBA, because there was just no reason for either of them to ever even consider it, yet they did.  Even Gasol's decision is just common sense from a basketball point-of-view.  If they Lakers sign and trade Gasol to Chicago for Boozer and something, I'd consider this a pretty good off-season for them.  They get 2 legit NBA starters, with expiring contracts, and 2 picks / young players in exchange for nothing.  Not the dream off-season some would have hoped for, but probably better than most thought would actually happen.  Does it make them a contender?  Not unless they suddenly get moved to the East, but it makes them better than last season, and sets them up better for the future.  How many other teams did both of those this off-season?
7/12/2014 2:28 PM
I notice he didn't quote my post above, guess he was more interested in trolling you than in discussing anything relevant 

(I was even mostly right about MDA as the only reason he's gone is he left of his accord because they refused to extend him past next season)

{pats self on back}

so far

the draft went well with Randle and Clarkson both likely to be contributors in the long term -given the amount of PT likely to come his way and the load he may carry Randle may well be in the discussion for ROY

I like the Lin move as the contract is an expiring and you get the pick which under the new CBA is a huge asset - exactly the kind of cap savvy move I was hoping they'd make

I think the Swaggy contract is a bargain as a long term still young asset and if need be very moveable

not crazy about the Hill signing but at least the team holds the second year option which makes this effectively a moveable (expiring) asset as well

they now have 27m in expirings to play with come the deadline

still expect they'll bring back Henry and Kelly
7/13/2014 11:39 AM (edited)
You actually put a rational thought up.

Apparently getting Carmelo to consider going to the Lakers is some sort of victory for all3. Apparently the only free agents that cared about the "experience" of being a Laker are Nick Young and Jordan Hill, and they'll be highly compensated for it.
7/14/2014 2:14 AM
You're right.  Lakers s*ck and always will, since nobody will ever want to play there.  Next thread.
7/14/2014 10:47 AM
Wow, even when somebody says you're right, you just keep going.  Who you trying to convince?  All the people who'd rather believe the last 55 years or so of history instead of your crystal-ball vision of the future?
7/14/2014 2:28 PM
Ed Davis? not bad for the price
7/17/2014 1:15 PM
and now they pick up Boozer off the waiver wires - another opportunistic acquisition of a moveable asset
7/17/2014 5:47 PM
Lakers can't trade Boozer this season.
7/17/2014 10:05 PM
◂ Prev 12
No Lakers Thread This Season? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.