scheduling advice Topic

someone needs to take certain coaches by the shoulders and shake said coaches like an english nanny. i just can't believe how some coaches - at the d2 level - can be so bad at one of the easiest and important facets of the game. for example, why would a coach EVER schedule a home game against a sim?

(coaches that take part in intra-conference challenges are the only acceptable exceptions to this complaint)
11/11/2013 6:03 PM
I on occasion will schedule a home game against a sim - you are welcome to tell me I don't know what I'm doing.
11/11/2013 6:10 PM
Me too.
11/11/2013 6:49 PM
well, lets say that you think a SIM team will win a lot of games and you think that your team can beat them but maybe not - and you decide that with home court advantage you will feel confident in the win?  hmm, I've done that.
11/11/2013 8:12 PM
To get and maintain an a+ home court advantage - against projected good sims (ie human left last season and few seniors, consistently strong rpi, stacked with seniors etc).
11/11/2013 8:25 PM
Home and away doesn't really matter much anymore, because RPI has largely been taken out of the NT equation. Scheduling sim's at home can be a smart thing to do.
11/11/2013 8:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I don't schedule SIMs, unless no one wants to play against me.

11/11/2013 8:35 PM
Posted by jsajsa on 11/11/2013 6:10:00 PM (view original):
I on occasion will schedule a home game against a sim - you are welcome to tell me I don't know what I'm doing.
you have another id with a d2 team?
11/11/2013 10:32 PM
Posted by jgsolari3 on 11/11/2013 8:25:00 PM (view original):
To get and maintain an a+ home court advantage - against projected good sims (ie human left last season and few seniors, consistently strong rpi, stacked with seniors etc).
no such thing as an A+ hca @ d2.
11/11/2013 10:32 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 11/11/2013 8:29:00 PM (view original):
Didn't see this backlash coming eh, Jonathan Taylor Thomas?
don't see it as backlash as people responding to something i didn't say. maybe i wasn't clear. maybe i'm wrong. but in any event, to respond / address the points brought up:

at the d2 level the hca is so negligible, that anyone relying on the hca to beat a sim is better served by scheduling a different sim to lock up the win. there are so many sim coached teams at d2 (this is based on the 3 worlds i'm in - maybe in other worlds d2 is filled?), that its easy to cherry pick at least 15 beatable sim coached successful teams every season. that sos is still a factor in projection and seeding, the away bonus should be factored in and taken advantage of.

if this is different at d1, its good to know. if i ever get my train wreck of a d1 team to a point where i am concerned about maintaining my a+, this will come in handy.
11/11/2013 10:39 PM
..and yes, re-reading it, i realize its not clear at all that i was specifically referring to d2 and it comes off as an after thought. but i really don't know $h!t about d1 - or even d3 -and wouldn't presume to comment on either.

11/11/2013 10:45 PM
If they are a team that is well rounded and loaded with upperclassmen, and I know they'll win a good amount of games, I'll play them at home and not take any chance on the away rng ... mainly, if I'm not too confident with my projected team. If I know a Sim is going to have 17+ wins, and end up as a 1-99 rpi, no way would I pass up on playing them at home for another scrub sim away. I've done it, and will continue to do it given the situation. It's worked for me greatly, and I do it strategically, because it is one of the most "important facets of the game" and something I don't take too lightly. If someone is going to grab my shoulders and shake me like an English nanny for it, they'll get a nice swift kick to the nuts. Anyhow, that's why, but generally, I agree with you, but there are times when it will greatly benefit you to play a sim at home.
11/12/2013 4:49 AM
Winning is critical here and in rl.  In addition to money, the rl big schools play lesser schools at home because it doesn't hurt them.  With the new projection report I think it's more important to increase the odds of a win at home versus a slightly lower chance on the road perhaps against a lower or similar team.  1/4 of games end in an upset if the spread is less than 10 points.  WIS was said to try and mirror that claim.

IMO, HCA can be worth up to 10+ point swing, so it's pretty important, even at DIII, more so at DII and obviously at DI.  Total wins, too affect HCA so when playing at home against a good conference opponent having a C+ HCA versus a C HCA could mean the difference between a 3 point loss and a 3 point win.

11/14/2013 1:14 PM
In regards to prestige at DII and DIII, a good record is equally, if not more,important than post-season success.  I've seen teams go 28-2 with an SOS of 250+ and move from C+ to A-
11/14/2013 1:36 PM
12 Next ▸
scheduling advice Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.