Cabrera won MVP Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 2:29:00 PM (view original):
I guess "I see no need to repeat myself" is a foreign concept to you. 

As for what I didn't address, I actually did.   Production does not change due to circumstance, value does.  I know I didn't use those exact words but I've said it dozens of times.
Cabrera produced X amount of offensive value. That X amount of offensive value helped the Tigers win Y amount of games.

If Evan Longoria is sitting on the bench, the X and Y do not change.

11/19/2013 2:36 PM
Well, yeah, except it most likely will.   Longoria plays 3B, Cabrera moves to 1B or DH, Fielder stays at 1B or moves to DH.  Martinez might be out of a job but, more likely, he'll take some AB away from the other 3.   Hence, they'll produce less thus making all 4 less valuable.   Unless, of course, you play in some magical world where two people play the same position at the same time. 
11/19/2013 2:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Well, yeah, except it most likely will.   Longoria plays 3B, Cabrera moves to 1B or DH, Fielder stays at 1B or moves to DH.  Martinez might be out of a job but, more likely, he'll take some AB away from the other 3.   Hence, they'll produce less thus making all 4 less valuable.   Unless, of course, you play in some magical world where two people play the same position at the same time. 
2013 already happened. Cabrera played third. Who sat on the bench and didn't play makes zero difference to Cabrera's value in 2013.
11/19/2013 2:55 PM
Then why the **** are you talking about Longoria sitting on the bench?   He wasn't on the Tigers in 2013..
11/19/2013 3:00 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 3:00:00 PM (view original):
Then why the **** are you talking about Longoria sitting on the bench?   He wasn't on the Tigers in 2013..
Try to keep up. Someone made the argument that Cabrera was more valuable because his backup in Detroit wasn't as good as Trout's backup in LA. I called BS. The backups are irrelevant. Cabrera's production value doesn't go up or down based on who his backup is, even if it's someone great, like Longoria.
11/19/2013 3:03 PM
I skipped about 4 pages of this nonsense so it's not a failure to keep up, it's a failure to care.   So, in your opinion, a player taking AB away from other players doesn't affect anyone's value?
11/19/2013 3:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 3:06:00 PM (view original):
I skipped about 4 pages of this nonsense so it's not a failure to keep up, it's a failure to care.   So, in your opinion, a player taking AB away from other players doesn't affect anyone's value?
Once again you're participating in an argument without a ******* clue. Good job.
11/19/2013 3:10 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 3:10:00 PM (view original):
Once again you're participating in an argument without a ******* clue. Good job.
Because I don't care how you arrived to the silly assertion that having good players sitting on the bench doesn't affect the value of players they could replace?  Isn't that the whole WAR thing?    You know, the R standing for Replacement?

So I'll ask again, in your opinion, a player taking AB away from other players doesn't affect anyone's value?
11/19/2013 3:23 PM
This goes back to my 10 apples and the one apple a starving man has.   To me, one apple has little value.  To him, it's worth it's weight in gold.   Maybe more because he can't eat gold.
11/19/2013 3:25 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):
Because I don't care how you arrived to the silly assertion that having good players sitting on the bench doesn't affect the value of players they could replace?  Isn't that the whole WAR thing?    You know, the R standing for Replacement?

So I'll ask again, in your opinion, a player taking AB away from other players doesn't affect anyone's value?
No, that's not how replacement in WAR works.
11/19/2013 3:25 PM
So, if I have an 8 WAR guy playing and a 6 WAR guy backing him up, the 8 WAR guy is no more valuable if a -3 WAR guy is backing him up?

Do you follow baseball?
11/19/2013 3:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 3:28:00 PM (view original):
So, if I have an 8 WAR guy playing and a 6 WAR guy backing him up, the 8 WAR guy is no more valuable if a -3 WAR guy is backing him up?

Do you follow baseball?
His production value is what it is. It isn't altered by someone who isn't playing.
11/19/2013 3:41 PM
If you're running a baseball team, which situation makes you more comfortable in dealing Mr. WAR8?   Or even giving him a few days off if his hammy is sore?

You know, REPLACING him for a few days or forever?
11/19/2013 3:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 3:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 3:24:00 PM (view original):

No, that's not how replacement in WAR works.
Ya' know, this is exactly why people should be hit
with HUGE carbon foot-print taxes, penalties, and
fines... & eventually create "debtor's" prisons with
real carbon fiber prison bars...

Useless wasted E-pages of storage, for the same
old lame brainless arguments...

Begs for opinions, & ignores his own stupidity with
regards to baseball, history, & a real future without
the un-popular fad of WAR, of which he has no math
skills to justify... Absurd, even in  a perpetuity of a guy
who's only successful skill is paying his INTERNET
provider for service...

Slam the "bad-luck" fumb-duck out of these MLB pg's
once & 4 all... Go back 2 managing your own softball
gray-hair semi-wannabe' team...

U don't know squat about anything baseball... Just a
brainless sponge, luring people into arguments that
will never justify the krap U type...
11/19/2013 3:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2013 3:54:00 PM (view original):
If you're running a baseball team, which situation makes you more comfortable in dealing Mr. WAR8?   Or even giving him a few days off if his hammy is sore?

You know, REPLACING him for a few days or forever?
Of course I'm more willing to trade him. And having a star caliber player on the bench ready in case of an injury is comforting. But that doesn't reduce the value of the starter's production or lessen the amount I would ask in return in order to trade him.

And, again, that's not how replacement in WAR works.

11/19/2013 3:59 PM
◂ Prev 1...21|22|23|24|25...35 Next ▸
Cabrera won MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.