Cabrera won MVP Topic

To a point?   I called it trolling on the first page.   He simply confirmed it over the next 24.
11/20/2013 7:26 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/15/2013 1:42:00 PM (view original):
"MLB could solve this problem by instituting a BBWAA award for the best offensive player (Ted Williams Award?) to go with the Cy Young. And then you can vote for MVP. The most valuable guy isn't always the best offensive player."

I've been saying this for years.  In fact, there already is such an award, the "Hank Aaron Award", but it's currently a minor award with it's own weird voting system.  It needs to be "elevated" to major award status (alongside Cy Young and MVP), and voted on by the BBWAA as the other two awards are.

Problem solved.  Except for BL, who will still confuse "best offensive player" with "most valuable player".
This.
11/20/2013 7:50 AM
My favorite part is where he admitted that Brett Butler and Tim Raines were basically the same player over the course of their careers based on WAR.   And that a 30% difference in WAR is neglible. 
11/20/2013 8:04 AM
My favorite part is when he denies that he worships WAR, yet he keeps using it to support his arguments.
11/20/2013 8:07 AM
Yes.  Copy the NHL.   I think I have mentioned this a few times before. 
11/20/2013 8:09 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/20/2013 8:07:00 AM (view original):
My favorite part is when he denies that he worships WAR, yet he keeps using it to support his arguments.
He denied that WAR is the basis of his every argument?  I must have missed that.
11/20/2013 8:11 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/19/2013 7:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 7:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/19/2013 7:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/19/2013 6:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/19/2013 6:18:00 PM (view original):
Because you're more qualified than them since you have a much better and more in-depth insight to the game due to your magical calculations?
So you're saying I can't have an opinion?
Not at all, you're certainly entitled to an opinion.

Just realize that your track record of being able to intelligently defend your opinions is pretty abysmal.  Which is why we mock you.
"We" in this case is you and mike. Considering how dumb you both are when it comes to things like baseball and basic economics, I'll gladdly accept your "mocking."
Are we "dumb" at baseball because we don't worship at the altar of "WAR, ************!!!"?
Do I worship WAR?
I took this as a backhanded denial of his love of WAR.
11/20/2013 8:14 AM
I skipped his quoted posts as he's usually repeating something.   Yeah, he's denied it with a question before.   You can't start every argument with "His WAR of......" and then deny you don't use it as the foundation of point.    Well, unless you're BL and you refuse to accept when you've taken a bad position. 
11/20/2013 8:19 AM
Like when he quoted Jayson Stark saying that Mike Trout is undoubtedly the best player in the world, and then a couple pages later called Jayson Stark a fucktard?
11/20/2013 9:26 AM
One can only assume Jayson Stark had one moment of clarity during his standard fucktard day.
11/20/2013 9:27 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/20/2013 8:04:00 AM (view original):
My favorite part is where he admitted that Brett Butler and Tim Raines were basically the same player over the course of their careers based on WAR.   And that a 30% difference in WAR is neglible. 
When did I say they were "basically the same player?"
11/20/2013 11:15 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/20/2013 7:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/15/2013 1:42:00 PM (view original):
"MLB could solve this problem by instituting a BBWAA award for the best offensive player (Ted Williams Award?) to go with the Cy Young. And then you can vote for MVP. The most valuable guy isn't always the best offensive player."

I've been saying this for years.  In fact, there already is such an award, the "Hank Aaron Award", but it's currently a minor award with it's own weird voting system.  It needs to be "elevated" to major award status (alongside Cy Young and MVP), and voted on by the BBWAA as the other two awards are.

Problem solved.  Except for BL, who will still confuse "best offensive player" with "most valuable player".
This.
How are "best offensive player" and "most valuable player" all that different?  People keep making arguments - not just here, everywhere - that based on the name of the award ("most VALUABLE player") that it should consider importance to the team and team performance.  If you want to make that argument in general, fine.  But don't invoke the name.  There seems to be a major issue with a whole lot of Americans' ability to understand the word "valuable."  It means "worth the most," which as best translated into baseball terms would be "the best player."  Maybe not "best offensive player," but "best player."

Valuable means "having worth/merit."  So the "most valuable" is the guy with the "most worth."  That's the best player.  Doesn't matter what teams he plays on, or what everyone around him did, or what the team would have done without him.  At least not based on the NAME of the award.  So please, learn some English and drop the bullshit arguments that somehow because of the name of the award importance to the team is implied.  That's bullshit.  Literally the opposite of what valuable means.

11/20/2013 3:06 PM
Sweet.  Another user who think only they can determine "value" for everyone else. 
11/20/2013 3:12 PM
The award is based on actual value of offense and defense, not relative value.
11/20/2013 3:13 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/20/2013 3:13:00 PM (view original):
The award is based on actual value of offense and defense, not relative value.
LOL. How do you know that?  Show me, in the definition of baseball's MVP award.
11/20/2013 3:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...35 Next ▸
Cabrera won MVP Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.