NFL Franchise Progressive League (DEAD) Topic

Basic Theme     

I don't know if enough owners would be interested but I am really getting bored with baseball progressives and thought maybe this would spice things up.  I am still in the process of developing some of the rules but here is the basic theme:

Each season progresses two years at a time....beginning with 1980-81, then 1982-83, etc.  Each player that has a player season in the database during the designated seasons is eligible to be drafted (only one version of each player allowed).  Example--if you draft Joe Montana, you can use his 1980 or 1981 season and nobody else can draft him.  In season 2, you'd have to choose between his 1982 and 1983 season and so on and so forth.

Each owner that signs up will choose one of the 28 NFL franchises that existed.  We will align the divisions as close to real life as possible.  You must use one of your team's defense, O-Line and Special Team units from the designated seasons.  For example, I will be the Seattle Seahawks so I will probably choose 1980 Defense, 1981 O-Line and 1981 Sp Teams.  To keep it fair, each season draft order will be based on salary not previous year win/loss record.  This will be explained in more detail below.

Each owner must use the stadium that their team called home during the years in use.  If the appropriate stadium isn't available then they must use the next available stadium chronologically that their team used.

Salary cap will be set to the maximum allowable as to not be a factor in this league.

Roster Rules     

I.     Pre-Draft - After the league is full, each owner will declare which Defense, O-Line and Special Teams unit they will use.  Total salary for these combined units will be calculated.  After this process, each owner will be allowed to protect up to 5 players from his team's real life roster from 1980 and 1981.  The combined salary of the Def, OL, ST and 5 protected players can't exceed $45MM. The more funds you allocate to your defense, o-line and special teams, the less you will have to spend on protected players.  Note:  If a given player played for more than one team in 1980-81, then the team with the lowest salary (Def, OL, and ST) gets first rights to said player.  If they choose not to protect him, then the team with 2nd lowest salary (Def, OL, and ST) gets the rights to him.  Note:  Original rules called for a max of 3 keepers and $40MM salary.  We voted as a league to change that to max of 5 and $45MM salary.      

II.     Initial Draft - Once all teams have chosen their 3 units plus their 5 keepers, then draft order will be determined.  Draft order will be determined by combined salary of their team, lowest going first/highest going last.  At the end of each of the first four rounds, the team salary will be re-calculated and the new draft order will be set based on the updated salary information.  The 5th round will be set based on the updated salary (total salary through Rd 4) and then will snake back and forth thereafter until all rosters are full.

III.     Trades - Trades will be allowed whether in-season or during the off-season.  Being totally new at WIS football I don't know if vetoes can be used to block trades etc.....we will decide the details of this based on owner majority opinion.

IV.     Offseason Keepers - At the end of the season (or after a transaction deadline if one exists), the owners will name their keepers.  At a minimum, they must choose the Def, OL and ST units that they will use.  They may also keep as many of their current players that they so choose, however, total keeper salary dictates draft order so owners should choose wisely what players to keep.  Once keepers are finalized, the draft order will be set (lowest first/highest last). 

V.     Offseason Draft - All rounds will be set to the same order (no snaking in future drafts).  As each team fills their roster, they will drop out of the draft and all remaining teams will continue to pick until all teams are full.

I'm sure there are logistical things that I have overlooked or am not currently aware.....therefore I reserve the right to make changes as needed to cover any areas that need coverage or clarification.  Also, like everyone else, I am busy and any help in handling the logistics of the league would be greatly appreciated.

Owner Sign-Ups   

1.   neabaseball (Seattle Seahawks)*
2.   specsman (NY Giants)*
3.   glen87 (LA Rams)*    
4.   hoopsrus (SD Chargers)*
5.   coolmay_one (Wash Redskins)* 
6.   shawbigred (SF 49ers)*
7.   democolson (Dallas Cowboys)* 
8.   tonyvoss (Oakland Raiders)*
9.   cosmicjim70 (Pitt Steelers)*   
10. poddy (Minn Vikings)*
11. ddprime (NY Jets)*  
12. gwhouse (Phil Eagles)*  
13. spaolo (Clev Browns)*
14. topkat (Chicago Bears)*
15. whatifle (Atlanta Falcons)*
16. nukelaloosh (NE Patriots)*
17. whatifle (Denver Broncos)* #
18. shawbigred (Balt Colts) #
19. coolmay_one (TB Bucs)* #
20. maskman46 (Detriot Lions)
21. 66bigsurge (GB Packers)*
22. 66bigsurge (Hou Oilers)* #

* - keepers in
# - 2nd team

sitemail list:   glen87; hoopsrus; coolmay_one; shawbigred; democolson; tonyvoss; cosmicjim70; poddy; ddprime; gwhouse; spaolo; topkat; specsman; whatifle; nukelaloosh
4/7/2014 11:01 AM (edited)
Sounds good.  Glad to have you!
11/19/2013 4:00 PM
id be in with the bears
11/19/2013 4:04 PM
Sweet....glad to have you sean!
11/19/2013 4:06 PM
I would strongly prefer to stick with the starting years selected.  Those were my early years of me beginning to watch and idolize the players especially my favorite player as a kid, Steve Largent.....which by the way is the only reason I would suffer through the Seahawk's franchise.
11/19/2013 6:07 PM (edited)
will take the Rams
11/19/2013 9:57 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 11/19/2013 7:40:00 PM (view original):
That is exactly why I would like the 60's.......................You could have an 80's franchise and I would have a 60's franchise.

Dont forget, those may have been YOUR favorite years, but you are trying to get 24 other  owners to sign up.

It doesnt really matter because you could come back in here a month from now and there would only be about 7-8 people signed up.
I get that, but I really would prefer to do a league from just one time period. I realize that narrowing the focus will possibly make it more difficult to fill but for this league that is how I want to do it. If it doesn't fill, then I will back up and reevaluate.....
11/19/2013 10:30 PM
Glad to have you glen!
11/19/2013 10:30 PM
Put me down for Detroi lions

Could u go year by year ?
Thanksn
11/19/2013 11:21 PM
Glad to have you! I would be open to going one year at a time. I'm not sure there is enough depth to do a 24 tm league one yr at a time. We can look at it when closer to filling....
11/19/2013 11:45 PM
I'd love to jump in, and take the SD Chargers.  I grew up in the 80's and vote for keeping this era as the launching point.  I also like the 2-year increments so that we have a little more to work with, more choices involved, and we can move to current era a little faster.
11/20/2013 4:18 PM
I will post an ad in zizzo's progressive NBA league as well.

My one request:  can we bump the players we keep from our team/time-period to 4 or 5, to keep a little more of the real feel of our teams?   I like the idea of remaining players going into a Free Agent pool (but I really don't want to cut Chuck Muncie or Charlie Joiner!)
11/20/2013 5:08 PM (edited)
I'd kinda like the option to keep 4-5 players, too.  It would be nice to be able to keep at least one QB, RB, WR, and TE... but I'm cool with whatever you decide.

11/20/2013 6:34 PM
Sure. Let me work on it....the main thing is to keep the competitive balance in place.
11/20/2013 7:19 PM
I'll take the Washington Redskins.
11/20/2013 7:48 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
NFL Franchise Progressive League (DEAD) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.